Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Matching Halfords primer  (Read 3454 times)

Ted_H

• Full Mayhemer
Matching Halfords primer
« on: March 03, 2013, 06:08:14 pm »

I've just sprayed my boat hull with Halfords grey primer.However where it meets with the previously painted humbrol grey (satin 127) the difference in colour is a little too great.
Can anyone suggest a suitable match from the Humbrol range so I can blend the two colours together.
Thanks
Ted  :police:
So many things to do, and not enough time to do it !

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Matching Halfords primer
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 09:43:47 pm »

probably be easier to paint the whole model in either one brand or the other , with the halfords being acrylic and the humbrol an enamel  not all paints are compatible with each other

craggle

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boaty McBoatface
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 10:09:39 pm »

I painted my Envoy tug in Halfords grey primer as it seemed a nice colour and pretty durable with a coat of satin clear on the top.

I found though that different batches of paint had a very different shade so I had to go back to the shop and buy 4 tins at the same time making sure they had the same batch code printed on the bottom.

I guess primers aren't mixed to the same colour accuracy as the car colours are so depending on what the mix for that day is, the colour will vary.
You may get lucky and buy another tin and find it's a closer match but then you may end up buying hundreds of them and never finding one! Colour matching is a difficult thing to get right!  {:-{

Craig.
Model Slipway Envoy tug built.
Huge Lifeboat under construction.

Ted_H

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 10:37:23 pm »

what i need to do is the paint my upper superstrucutre, darkening it slighty to match the hull. As its mostly complete i'd need to hand paint it; so what I'm asking if anyone knows a similar colour match to the Halfords primer.
I'm not blending as in mixing them together, I need to match the colours

Stavros

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 10:48:39 pm »

Virtually impossible to match it,the only poss way you can do it would be to tint your Humbrol enamel to suit.Please DO NOT apply Halfords over the humbrol enamel as it will react.

What you need to do is to tint your Primer a bot at a time with some matt black a couple of drops at a time.Paint a SMALL area next to the Halfords primer and let it dry.....a Slow process I know but worth it in the end,if you go over...ie to dark then a drop of White matt and redo.

This is what we in the motor trade have to do with some colours to get a paint match...obviously with car paints it dries a lot quicker than enamel.....sorry no quick fix I am afraid.

Dave

Ted_H

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 01:23:38 pm »

I think I'll repaint the hull with a light grey (Humbrol 64) I thin k a near enough match  to the rest of the superstructure.
However I now note the Humbrol spray tins are acrylic. Can I spray directly over the Halfords primer or, will it all need to come off ?

deadbeat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 01:29:14 pm »

I recently encountered this problem, but I only needed small amounts for touching up a small model. Usually I take a small sample from the aerosol can, but I did notice that Halfords do a grey primer in a tin. I bought this on the basis that they would use the same paint for both spray cans and tins. There is however a difference, its a bit lighter, however it may be a good starting point for mixing purposes. I took a small quantity out of the tin and put it in a  small airtight jar from which I can mix small touch up quantities. You may need some cellulose thinners as well. Best of luck.

Coastal

• Full Mayhemer
  • Possibly the craziest girl to have ever lived !
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 01:31:19 pm »

If anyone can fnd the RAL codes for halfords, there are plenty on online paint checkers, The RAL codes do exist, its just finding a list of them.....
Take care everyday to spread a little joy into someone elses life ! xx

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2013, 01:55:50 pm »

problem is as others have said, primers are not controlled as well as top coat colours so they probably won't have a RAL number
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

mudway

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2013, 12:48:03 pm »

To me RAL is not relevant as the UK uses British Standards. I once asked Humbrol for a lsit of colurs which were actually "real" paints. 64 isn't one of them.

Ted_H

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2013, 04:29:57 pm »

I've obtained a spray tin of Humbrol acrylic ( I guess they dont do spray enamel anymore) Will this be safe to apply directly over the Halfords primer ??

Ted  :police:

craggle

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boaty McBoatface
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2013, 07:54:00 pm »

Halfords paints are acrylic so in theory yes, but, I would spray a bit of primer on a scrap bit of material and then do a test just to make sure before you commit to painting the whole model.

Craig.
Model Slipway Envoy tug built.
Huge Lifeboat under construction.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 22 queries.