Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Paddle drives  (Read 2243 times)

Odd Job

• Shipmate
  • Exemplar remigium est fun
Paddle drives
« on: March 05, 2013, 05:42:21 pm »

Hi Guys
Is there anyone out there that can share their experiences with a paddle tug drive, i.e. what motor used, chain drives, gears. I am looking to run an electric model around 800mm, not sur eon which plans to build from I am just turning the idea over
Cheers
Chris

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Paddle drives
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 06:10:00 pm »

I'm prepping a paddle tug build at the moment.I'm hoping to use 2 R/C Tank gearboxes made by Heng Long.  At 6 Volts they should give about the right R.P.M. required.  They could be used directly on the paddle shaft but I'm going to run a rubber belt drive around even sized pullies.  The idea behind this is that with a tweek on the tension the paddle wheel should slip it it gets jammed with weed or sticks and not smash itself up.
Controlling the twin motors should give "Tank steering" (independent forward and reverse on each paddle) a common feature of paddle tugs.  I'll either use 2 mechanical speed controls on seperate servos or a ESC from a tank (effectively a "mixer")  The best option would be a P94 from Action but at £100+ I can't justify it.
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

Odd Job

• Shipmate
  • Exemplar remigium est fun
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 06:19:24 pm »

Thanks for that, I did'nt give that kind of technology a thought, mind you you say that the tank gearbox privides comparible output. I woulod imagine that something in the region of a 3:1 gearing would be suitable. So do you have any idea of the ratio of your drives? & where do you obtain them?
Cheers
Chris

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 06:35:08 pm »

I did it imperically, I just put 6 volts through them and measured the rpm.  I bought a pair of gearboxes on fleabay for £10.00 and a couple of mechanical speed controllers for a fiver.  I already had the ESC from a tank!
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 08:03:04 pm »

Chris,
My 'Director Class' paddler was originally driven by chains and metal sprockets. This was a big mistake as the interference generated was sufficient to send the servos haywire. A change to aluminium toothed pulleys and rubber belt drive eliminated this and capacitors on a pair of ancient monoperms, each with its own ESC, enabled it to turn on the proverbial sixpence.
Barry M

NoNuFink

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 12:47:45 am »

As a matter of interest - just what is a sensible r.p.m. figure for a model side wheel paddler??

NNF

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 02:11:09 pm »

The general consensus is around 125  RPM.  For better advice you can't do better than visit  Paddleducks.co.uk

regards

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

NoNuFink

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2013, 02:42:10 pm »

Thanks for the info  :-))

NNF
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 21 queries.