Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Into the world of RC boating...here I come!  (Read 1913 times)

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer
  • Shiver me timbers...I've spilt me glue!
Into the world of RC boating...here I come!
« on: March 05, 2013, 08:07:49 pm »

Right, as some of may know I tend to do static models, just really started in doing naval models, subs is it to be honest.
The idea of doing RC stuff scared me to be honest, build+costings, coupled with a disability means it could go wrong and end up expensive. Was looking at pre-built boats but they tended to be either really expensive or was just a shell with no workings etc. Well, I have got a trawler, made up with TX etc, needs a bit of TLC as the paint work on the hull is chipped but will make all well. Stan has invited me to join him near where I live to sail so she will be going there at some point.
Will post some piccies when I pick her up on Saturday.
Si:)
My models are not nice, clean and ship-shape. They be mucky, grubby, rusty and smelly.

Mad_Mike

• Full Mayhemer
  • Lincolnshire
Re: Into the world of RC boating...here I come!
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 09:06:46 pm »

hi si. I was looking through your posts on your static models, they are marvelous, you may have issues with your hands but it is not evident in your work. The costs of rc are only expensive to begin with, im on a budget myself, you have to kind of build up over time thats what i did. Once the radio and batteries are out of the way then it actually becomes quite cheap, especially if you scratch build and use salvaged materials. People use all kinds of materials, ranging from the common wood and grp to the more less common foam and even dope covered paper and card.

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 09:11:53 pm »

Hi Mike, thank you for the kind words regarding my models. The trawler I have got is fairly big, 29inches long and 9 inches wide, comes with all the gearso is ready to run. This will be my test boat, if I like it and get into it then I will look into expanding but for £53 I think I have done okay...I hope. Don't pick it up until Saturday :embarrassed:
My models are not nice, clean and ship-shape. They be mucky, grubby, rusty and smelly.

Mad_Mike

• Full Mayhemer
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 09:15:39 pm »

for me thats a big model. I dont have a car and use the bus so rarely venture beyond 28 inches. I built a trawler last year its 14 inches long. 53 quid seems reasonable. what size of boats do you usually work on?

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 09:26:18 pm »

Both the subs are 21inches, 1:125 scale, any smaller and I tend to drop stuff or struggle, many years ago smaller scale stuff, mainly aircraft didn't bother me. It is a large boat I admit but it means I can tinker without making too much of a hash of stuff if it is small and fiddly.

Mad_Mike

• Full Mayhemer
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 09:39:06 pm »

ive sent you a pm
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 22 queries.