Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Schnellboot sounds  (Read 2517 times)

VC

• Full Mayhemer
Schnellboot sounds
« on: February 17, 2013, 05:54:06 pm »

Good evening members. I am working on a completely scratchbuilt 1: 48 Schnellboot. Having researched the net, to the best of my abilities, I've not been able to find answers to my question, 'What kind of sounds can I incorporate into my model?' If anyone has any suggestions, circuits, sound files etc., I would be more than grateful. Ideally I would like to have a diesel engine (will it be audible over the whine of triple brushed motors?) and machine gun fire.

Please be patient and lucid, you are advising a total idiot. :embarrassed:

Regards.
Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Schnellboot sounds
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 10:40:49 am »

Its not a huge model, so the speaker size and weight will be limited, thus the volume that can be generated.  Properly set up, the motors should be all but silent, apart from the inevitable ESC whine.  To avoid that, either use an old type 50Hz one and let it rumble, or a very modern one that runs somewhere above human hearing.  Resilient mounting of the motors also helps reduce motor noise, along with constructing the hull so it doesn't resonate.
Gogling for greeting card sound modules will reveal various suppliers.  These are good for recording and playing back sounds that can be downloaded from the various sound effects sites and then tweaked using a sound processor such as audacity.  For engine sounds, there are various sound sythesisers that are small and light, more comprehensive ones are also available at higher cost. 
Have a look at ACTions site where the specifications of such units are available.  Careful reading should reveal what will fit both pocket and boat.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

VC

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 03:41:51 pm »

Dear Malcolm,

Thanks a lot. I have already downloaded and merged/mixed a few sound files to create the possible battle scenario detailed below. Will use a 2" speaker with an efficient amp. The entire audio contraption will not weigh more than 150 grams and will be placed amidships.

I would like a combination of a diesel engine gunning up and revving as she starts sailing out. Over that sound, the Kriegsmarine Marsch instrumental music will play, as if it were being played over a PA system to boost crew morale as they head out to do battle.

A minute and a half later, when she is in the middle of the water body, a fog horn blast is heard, followed by another. As the second blast fades, a short machine gun burst is heard and is followed by distant return fire. While all this going on, the boat has picked up speed, klaxon starts hooting and then the Flakvierling starts firing and generally all hell breaks loose! {-)

After a minute and a half, the battle sounds subside and the drone of the diesels can be heard, the boat turns to shore and approaches steadily - the sailors are singing the Kriegsmarine Marsch as they are jubilant after a successful battle.

The boat berths, engine revs lower and then finally cease.

Imagination runs wild. I wonder though if the sound effects are factually accurate. I wonder, did the Schnellboot have a Foghorn and/or Klaxon?

Regards.

Steve J

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 06:12:10 pm »

Have you had a look at the sound units from Benedini ?

Steve

VC

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 07:06:00 pm »

Thanks Steve! At, approximately, 215 Euro + postage, it is more than 4 times the total envisaged cost of the boat + all electronics. In India, we improvise Locally and deliver as per International Standards. {-)

A local electronics modeller (1500 kilometres away from where I stay) is already working on my sound set up. I am also working on a video to post on YouTube that will demonstare what I am trying to achieve. Give me a couple of days and I will post the link here.

All said and done, Benedini have a GREAT selection of dedicated units.  :-))

Thanks and Regards.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 09:57:55 pm »

A 2" speaker might not give a high volume of sound at more than a few yards range in the great outdoors.  In the old days of hifi, if you moved a speaker out of a corner, you could reckon on doubling the power input needed, move it away from a wall, double again.  Outdoors, anybody's guess, but another doubling would seem good.  I got good results with a similar size speaker doing a warship "whoop" at over 50 yards if it was quiet, but if I had been going for an engine sound, what with it being continuous, a bigger speaker would have been needed.  Remember that for a given perceived sound level, the lower the pitch, the bigger the area of the speaker required.  Also for continuous sound, you need to derate the amp to avoid overdriving it.
40 yards is about 1 mile at 1:48, so when you consider the distances at which the various sounds will be heard, that might be a consideration as well.

"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Nordsee

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2013, 02:54:28 pm »

Remember they had multiple Diesels, running out of Harbour would be on one engine, only switching to the others when cruising fast or in Battle Mode. Running away ( which they often did, especially when engageing D class MGBs) they went to emergency (Panic?) boost for the extra speed, but could only use this for a maximum of 15 minutes.Whether you can get  these varying sounds in a mixer I don't know.

VC

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2013, 04:10:28 pm »

Thanks for your suggestions and advice. I have posted this link elsewhere on the forum. Have a dekko!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHMjVCuVdkg

Regards.

Nordsee

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2013, 10:33:14 am »

Very impressive, I only got sound, no vid, is that correct?

VC

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2013, 12:46:24 pm »

Thanks. Yes, however, if you watch on a full screen mode, you will be able to read the narrative on the screen. Work on the Schnellboot model is temporarily on hold, as I am rushing through the build of two Keil Kraft EeZeBILT boat replicas exploded to 200% (Mermaid 28") and 130% (RAF Crash Tender 31").

Regards.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 22 queries.