Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Aerokits fireboat 34 inch  (Read 6970 times)

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Birkdale, Lancashire. twixt the Mersey & the Ribble
Aerokits fireboat 34 inch
« on: May 23, 2007, 02:22:07 pm »

Just starting to do up my 45 year old fire boat.
Which electric motor/prop/voltage would give a decent turn of speed?
I'm just using one prop.
Thanks
Frank

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
Re: Aerokits fireboat 34 inch
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2007, 02:34:51 pm »

Somethink like an 850 on nicads , you must keep it as light as possible , Ive got a couple and my wood one is a bit on the heavy side and takes a lot to get up on the plane, fireboat who comes on hear has one with a brushless motor in it and it goes like the clapers and is not that light, have a look on.

Peter

http://www.modelfireboats.co.nr/    this is fireboats site

http://pic7.piczo.com/CrashTender/?nsrc=none

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/firefloat/

http://pic6.piczo.com/fireboat

Model Boats Website

• www.model-boats.com
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boats Website
    • Model Boats Website
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2007, 03:56:54 pm »

Just starting to do up my 45 year old fire boat.
Which electric motor/prop/voltage would give a decent turn of speed?
I'm just using one prop.
Thanks
Frank

What speed to you call decent?

Some of the Groupner motors are quite good when it comes to fast electrics. As long as you keep the prop size smallish (somewhere between 45mm and 35mm) you can afford to go for higher rpm motors without the worry of them overheating. You can also get "S" type propellors, these have two blades and provide more thrust for faster spinning motors.

The voltage depends on what speed you want the boat to go, for gentle ploding around a 6v battery will do the trick, however for more high performance you want to make the voltage the same or a little higher than the rated voltage of the motor.

There is no right or wrong way of obtaining a decent turn of speed and everyone has different ideas, there are a few articles in the Messege Board on my site that talk a little about setups. See:-

http://www.modelfireboats.co.nr/messageboard.html

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2007, 05:54:00 pm »

Having a hunt round the shed I've found a little used Johnson ...marked 888, I think,
I've a universal that fits it and the prop shaft so I think I'll try that. I don't have a Lottery grant for the rebuild, so I'm having to use what I've got at the moment!!!

seam

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2007, 06:59:40 pm »

hi funtime.my boat is 40 inchs long and all ply wood.setup is one darke horse turbo motor with modified2.5:1gear box.and a three
bladed brass prop 50 mm and two9.6volt<8cell>3700maH NiMH battery packs,from panden models,dave is very helpful there,hope this is of some use to you.all the best .seam
steve

Jonty

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2007, 08:30:00 pm »

Consensus on the Johnson 888 seems to be that they draw a colossal current and get very hot. Have a word with Model Motors Direct.
I eat my peas with honey,
I've done it all my life;
It makes the peas taste funny,
But it keeps 'em on the knife.

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2007, 09:33:29 pm »

Seam Is this the motor ? I'm sure Pandam wont mind me copying this as its to sell there item it looks good I use 2.5 to one belt drives as i think they can be a bit quieter ,

funtimefrankie the 34" tender is not the easeyest to get planing ,just make the mounts so you can experiment and buy cheap props till you get it right, sometimes going down in size with props can let the motor rev a bit and drop the current without the loss of speed , but it will stay cool , when I played with mine I found I had the right motors but ruled them out as I thought they would be rubbish Just keep it as light as possible

Peter

Pandan - 785 Darke Horse Turbo Motor with Modified 2.5:1 Gearbox and cooling coil
After a lot of testing we have come up with the ultimate replacement for the slow MFA 850 Torpedo Motors. This motor/gearbox combination will give you the best perfomance available for a minimum cost for all those MFA boats and Precedent Perkasa/Huntsman kits. This combination will provide stunning performance when coupled with 18 cells and a 50mm or 55mm prop and with less than 15 amps current draw does not require a super expensive ESC to control it. In fact we recommed an Electonize FR30HX which will provide forwards and reverse and can handle up 18 or 20 cells or 24volts.

The motor is a special high torque turbo version of the Johnson 700 motor and we provide a specially modified 2.5:1 gearbox which gives a super low current draw (11 amps typical) with an immense amount of torque to turn props of up to 65mm. This setup also provides super long run times with 3600 Mah battery packs and because of the low current draw very little cooling is required, but we also supply a cooling coil to ensure that the motor runs cool even on long high speed runs. Also included is a specially modified motor mount, and a 4mm Raboesch coupling insert to fit to the twin ballraced output shaft, to enable you to connect to your existing setup.

Fit two of these units in a Perkasa or MFA Tracker and you will be amazed at the performance! 

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2007, 10:45:12 pm »

There was one at the Southport Lifeboat rally the ther week (on the Saturday) which ran very well, planed nicely.
The owner said it had a brushless motor.
If you post on here perhaps you tell us more.........

Mine's not advanced any recently.  It has been in the test tank, gettins it's bottom wet for the first time in.....40 odd years.....

Model Boats Website

• www.model-boats.com
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boats Website
    • Model Boats Website
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2007, 11:06:19 pm »

There was one at the Southport Lifeboat rally the ther week (on the Saturday) which ran very well, planed nicely.
The owner said it had a brushless motor.
If you post on here perhaps you tell us more.........

Mine's not advanced any recently.  It has been in the test tank, gettins it's bottom wet for the first time in.....40 odd years.....

;) If you want to know more visit www.modelfireboats.co.nr  ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 21 queries.