Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hobby Engine Southampton replacement esc + rudders...  (Read 8753 times)

Dorset_josh

• Shipmate
Hobby Engine Southampton replacement esc + rudders...
« on: October 23, 2012, 09:25:53 am »

Hi all. This is my first post as I am a newbie to RC boats and Tugs in particular. I managed to get my self a completely standard as new Southampton Tug from gumtree for £40 with everything included. It's obviously a RTR but the radio gear and esc are pretty naff. I want to upgrade the ESC and am wondering what people's preferred ESC is? I have been in contact with the chap from Microgyros and he seems to have the forerunner at the moment which is the FR40. Anybody had any experience with one of these?

I want to keep it 2 channel with a single ESC rather than spend loads of money converting it to a 4ch. I have got myself a nice retro Futaba Attack 2ch tx and rx which will be fitted along with an upgraded 7.2v stick pack for extended running times. I am going to try and fashion some bigger rudders so any tips on this would be great. Thanks people,

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Hobby Engine Southampton replacement esc + rudders...
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 10:28:35 am »

Hi Dorset Josh and welcome to Mayhem. We hope you enjoy your stay.   :-))

Regarding the modifications to your rudder, you might like to try your hand at 'Glassing' the existing one.  It will be  interesting and educational to slap on the glass fibre and and filler and then shaping it to suit yourself.

Don't forget that we love pictures on here and would love to see your progress.

Cheers

Ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Dorset_josh

• Shipmate
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 10:43:57 am »

Hi ken. I hadn't thought to use glass fibre which is slightly strange as I work for a boat builder making fibreglass motor yachts! I will take photos as I go and keep the post updated. Any ideas on an ESC? I will have to start taking the boat apart and remove the rudders for modification. Shouldn't be too hard I don't reckon....

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 10:48:50 am »

Don't ask my opinion about ESC's.    {-) {-) {-)    There is a wealth of information on here about the little beasts, and everyone has an opinion.

It's really a case of 'money rules' and choice of effect comes into it.  Have a look around the site and see here........

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=151.0

All you need to know basis.    %)

Best of luck

ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Dorset_josh

• Shipmate
Microgyro FR40 - Southampton tug
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 12:10:14 pm »

Hi all. Just a quick question about the suitability of the Microgyros FR40 ESC. I currently have a standard hobby enging Southampton tug which I'm stripping out and rebuilding. I want to use a single ESC and keep it 2ch. I know the tug doesn't draw 40a but would the FR40 still be alright? The ESCs seem a good price and have a very good general review on the forum. I want to place the order but don't want to rush in to it if its not going to be right. Your feedback would be much appreciated. Many thanks

Josh

big_bri

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Microgyro FR40 - Southampton tug
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 01:37:38 pm »

I use the FR40s in everything from warships to club 500`s.
A brilliant all rounder in my opinion :-))
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Brian

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
Re: Microgyro FR40 - Southampton tug
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 02:43:26 pm »

Any particular reason why you can't use the 25A model Mike produces. Cheaper, and more than adequate for a model that size.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 03:36:28 pm »

ACTion & Mtronics are most people favourites followed by Electronize

http://www.action-electronics.co.uk/

http://www.mtroniks.net/

http://www.electronize.co.uk/model_electronics_frames.htm

(Topics merged)

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Dorset_josh

• Shipmate
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2012, 05:15:56 pm »

I enquired about the 25amp Microgyro but I was informed it is now out of production and had been replaced by the 40amp. It's seems a good price at £25ish. I think I will email them in a moment and order one up. They seem pretty helpful. Now all I have to do is dismantle my tug and strip out all the electrics and make a space for a stick pack. Thanks for the help ad advice...

http://www.microgyros.com/

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2012, 06:53:18 pm »

Oh right, I didn't know Mike had discontinued the 25A version.

Dorset_josh

• Shipmate
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2012, 10:16:02 pm »

Yeah only recently replaced it with the 40a version apparently. Order is placed and I spent an hour this evening completely stripping out my tug. Does anyone have any advice on adding weight? I was thinking of perhaps adding a small amount of lead to get it sitting better in the water and turning a little less "top heavy". Good or bad idea?

I'm looking forward to the postman now to see what the esc is like...  %%

Stormbringer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2012, 08:08:43 am »

what battery are you going to use with your Southie ?
in my 1 i am using a 5100 mah 7.2v nihm  , it sits on its edge accross the hull just in front of the motors , also theres ballast at the point the prop tubes go through the hull (lead will be fine ) , i've found my 1 to be pretty stable even in high winds just ballast it down to the white line on the hull

Dorset_josh

• Shipmate
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2012, 10:39:51 am »

I've just bought a 7.2v 2000mAh NiMh stick pack just to get me going and set up the layout. How much ballast did you use? Everything is ordered for the tug. My job I'm looking at today is extending the rudders. I removed them last night, I might see if I can silver solder some extensions on there or failing that I might resort to strong glue. Don't want to distort the rudders to much. You happy with your Southampton?

Stormbringer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2012, 06:09:16 pm »

there is a weight diferance between the difrant milli amp hour batteries ( and sometimes between makes ) so im not sure how much lead you would need for yours , i have a 2nd 2500 mah 4.8v aa size cell pack for running the lights and about 4 oz's of lead so you would probably need a bit more lead than i do
am i happy with mine , yep very happy with it
here's a link to my one
http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=38517.0

Dorset_josh

• Shipmate
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2013, 11:05:56 am »

So I have finally got my tug back together. Really happy with it after its maiden voyage yesterday. It's been a long project but its at a good stage now and nearly completed. I will hopefully upload some photos soon.

With the electrics I upgraded pretty much everything other than the motors and gearboxes. I purchased a micro gyros fr40 esc which I'm more than happy with and works exceptionally well in this tug. I put Futaba radio gear in and upgraded the batteries to 2000mAh stick pack sat behind the gear boxes. This adds weight but I have compensated the balance with lead ballast in the fwd bilge area and now it sits really well in the water and handles a lot bet as a result.

As for the rudders I removed the existing pair and modified them myself using resin and glass fibre. They are a little under twice the size of the originals and have a better profile and they are quite simple awesome. I sprayed them up black and they have turned the turning circle from a 25 foot sweep in to a swift turn that can be made within 6 foot! Really good. I was going to fit twin ESCs but now I think I'm going to stick with what I have got as its more than good enough for me.

Last thing to do is refit the tyres and try and. Find a replacement for a rope bow fender. Any ideas would be much appreciated. Also anybody know the best way to remove the tacky Southampton writing on the bow and superstructure?

Dorset_josh

• Shipmate
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2013, 11:22:21 am »

Actually on second thoughts after having a look and Stormbringers tug I might steel the idea of using two tyres for the bow fender. Looks pretty good and will work better for shunting/crashing  {-) . Can't wait to get the tug out again. Strapped my brothers mobile phone on the aft end pointing backwards to record some cool videos while the tug was going along. Really enjoyed doing that and the videos are worth viewing. I might try and upload them to YouTube.

ixion

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2013, 01:27:46 pm »

Here is my WYEFORCE (ex Southampton)

Dorset_josh

• Shipmate
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2013, 01:56:58 pm »

Looking pretty good. What did u do with the aerial? Also what did u use to remove the "Southampton" decals?

ixion

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2013, 02:06:58 pm »

Doesn't need a aerial I use 2.4Ghz. I removed the decals by gently rubbing with white spirit and cotton bud.

ixion

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2013, 02:10:02 pm »

Now use her to tow my crane barge....

Dorset_josh

• Shipmate
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2013, 02:15:57 pm »

It looks so good towing a barge. I'll have to keep my eye out for one to tow with my tug. Thanks for the tip on removing the decals. Seems pretty straight forward.

Dorset_josh

• Shipmate
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2013, 02:52:04 pm »

Just tried removing the decals and not only has it taken the decal off but it also turns out the superstructure is painted so now have a patch on the side of the tug which is unbpainted. Oh joy. Same colour as the plastic underneath but a full repaint is now in order  {:-{ probably would look better after a nice repaint anyway but a bit of a pain none the less. Anyone know the right colour of humbrol to use?

ixion

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2013, 03:08:16 pm »

Get yourself to Halfords and get a spray can of Ford Sahara Beige. You can take the wheelhouse apart and carefully take the glazing out and spray the whole thing. It won't look as plasticy.

Toyboata1

• Shipmate
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2013, 01:28:50 pm »

I have one of these and onverted it to tractor steering so didnt need to improve the rudders, but i am finding the gearbox is slipping, the plastic gears are spinning on the metal output shafts. Has anyone else had this problem and any solutions would be appreciated :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 22 queries.