Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What scale?  (Read 2535 times)

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer
  • Shiver me timbers...I've spilt me glue!
What scale?
« on: March 08, 2013, 11:17:56 pm »

Hi guys, want to know the scale of a trawler I am getting...well will get tomorrow night. All I can give you is that it is 29inch long and 9in wide. No pics at the moment, but looking to get some parts and detailing bits. Any ideas please to what scale this may be? Sorry for the lack of info, but any help welcome.
Thanks.
Si:)
My models are not nice, clean and ship-shape. They be mucky, grubby, rusty and smelly.

Kev

• Full Mayhemer
    • Driftaway Natural Arts and Crafts
Re: What scale?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 11:23:15 pm »

It all depends on what size the cabin is built to, the Trawler hull i got was 29 inches x 9 inches and I built everything to 1/18 scale.

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 11:27:21 pm »

Ta for that Kev, I suppose, thinking about it, it maybe worth while waiting until I get the boat in the my hands then can take some measurements and piccies. Just checking out sites for bits and bobs, of course I don't know which scale parts to go for.
My models are not nice, clean and ship-shape. They be mucky, grubby, rusty and smelly.

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer

Kev

• Full Mayhemer
    • Driftaway Natural Arts and Crafts
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 12:08:14 am »

looks good :-) .

Looks like its around 1/25th scale.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 08:57:18 am »

Hi guys, want to know the scale of a trawler I am getting...well will get tomorrow night. All I can give you is that it is 29inch long and 9in wide. No pics at the moment, but looking to get some parts and detailing bits. Any ideas please to what scale this may be? Sorry for the lack of info, but any help welcome.
Thanks.

all depends upon the size of the original trawler really.

there were "pocket "trawlers coming in at under 100 feet,

there were the Island and strath classes  and their dirivatives which came in at around 130 feet,

then there were the middle water trawlers coming on at around 140 - 160 feet such as  the Boston Typhoon ( mountfleet models)

and then the Distant water big ones coming in from around 160 ' to over 200 feet such as the Wyre Gleaner and Ross Revenge ( later to become Radio Caroline)........so it all depends upon what type of trawler it looks like as to what scale it would be.

and without seeing photos of the boat, one can only guess and summise.

neil.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2013, 09:59:11 am »

hadn't seen the picture when I posted.........looks like a little lobster boat/inshore fishing boat.........and as said I would put the scale at around 1:16th scale making the boat at the 42'-44' size.........which wouls be about the size of  a similar boat in real life.

Into that equation I don't take into account the superstructure, as this looks a little odd for a boat of those hull shapes,which don't have th draught to carry a cabin of that size in reality.

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2013, 07:13:21 pm »

Right guys, thanks for that info. I'll post up some proper pics when I get the beasty. Many thanks again.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 21 queries.