Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: My new/second hand fishing boat...questions.  (Read 6085 times)

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer
  • Shiver me timbers...I've spilt me glue!
My new/second hand fishing boat...questions.
« on: March 09, 2013, 10:30:35 pm »

Hi guys, finally got my hands on my new...well, new to me, RC fishing boat.
She is 29inch long and 9 inch across. I know naff all about RC boats etc so will be asking questions:
The hull has a broken section, please see picture, also it is slightly cracked, this appears just around the lip, how can I repair it or add something that will help disguise it?
Also, she needs a bit of TLC, how do I get the paint off, and can I do this without taking the whole boat apart?
I also asked, in another thread, regarding thge scale, had some help but maybe the pictures can give you guys a better view...wanting bits for her you see  :}
She has come with all the internals, battery, chargers and a Futuba TX...all for |£53! I, don't think that was bad.
Checked her out and rudder and prop work okay as seems the TX.
Any suggestions welcome as I want to sort her out, kit models I am fine with, this is something else, bit unsure, so help away guys.
Si:)
Piccies.

My models are not nice, clean and ship-shape. They be mucky, grubby, rusty and smelly.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
Re: My new/second hand fishing boat...questions.
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 10:44:05 pm »

Eddie,
Sorry to tell you but the broken part is fitted incorrectly.
It is called the gunwhale capping and should be INSIDE the gunwhale (the raised part above tthe deck.
As it is it will always get damaged when berthing next to something.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Stavros

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 10:44:22 pm »

Sorry to be the bearer of BAD news but your radio set is NOT legal to be used for boats.

There is a sticker on the left hand side of it stating 35mhz which is used for Aircraft use ONLY in the uk

Dave

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 10:47:40 pm »

Eddie,
Sorry to tell you but the broken part is fitted incorrectly.
It is called the gunwhale capping and should be INSIDE the gunwhale (the raised part above tthe deck.
As it is it will always get damaged when berthing next to something.

Bob

Hi Bob, thanks for that, the ridge runs all around the edge of the hull and is part of the hull so unsure what you mean, but do see your point regarding that it will get damaged.
My models are not nice, clean and ship-shape. They be mucky, grubby, rusty and smelly.

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 10:49:14 pm »

Sorry to be the bearer of BAD news but your radio set is NOT legal to be used for boats.

There is a sticker on the left hand side of it stating 35mhz which is used for Aircraft use ONLY in the uk

Dave
Kak...so what do I need then Dave? Can I use this TX? can be adapted or is it a case of a new TX and reciever?

Stavros

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 10:55:21 pm »

All you can do is to sell the Tx and Rx from the boat on that wonderfull Selling site that you got the boat from and buy a new set Either a 27mhz or a 40mhz or a 2.4ghz set....if you look on htat wonderful site again there is a seller on there Called The Saint....he sells some 2.4 sets and very reasonable they are as well....He is a well known trader and Organiser of Model Boat shows and is Trustworthy

Dave

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2013, 11:00:34 pm »

Eddie,
The ridge is not part of the hull.
The bit below it is. The capping is what it says it caps the gunwhale.

Reply 24 shows hoe it should be fitted:

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,40073.0.html

Bob
Officially a GOG.

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2013, 11:04:23 pm »

Okay, thanks guys. Will see what I can do with her regarding damage and get a new TX and RX. Appriciate your time.

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2013, 11:10:14 pm »

Just checked out the link Bob, should my boat have had this lip removed then? As I said it is part of the plastic hull and runs right around the top.
Si...getting unhappy {:-{

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2013, 11:21:24 pm »

Officially a GOG.

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2013, 11:44:47 pm »

Hi

You asked about removing paint. You might try Fairy Power Spray at about £3.00. Depends on what paint is on it, but I have used it successfully on two old boats. Clean, doesn't burn your skin, takes a couple of applications.

Dave

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2013, 12:04:53 am »

Hi Eddie.................was the advert on ebay relating to the radio gear saying that it was suitable for boats.............if so, you could have a case via ebay or paypal to get your money back because the goods were misrepresented............as ANY  boat modeller knows, as stav has stated.............you just can't legally use 35meg for anything other than aeroplanes.
as for the capping rail as TT says, it should be on the inside of the raised part of the boat above deck.called the bulwarks or gunwales.................but rather than cut it all off, for your first boat I would just insert a new section of ( I think your hull is made from) plasticard, glued with plasticement..a liquid glue that melts into the plasticard that the hull is made from.

as for the paint, I certainly wouldn't use a solvent thinners on the thing as it would probably melt the plastic..............if Norseman's method doesn't work, then use a fine grade wet and dry to give it a good cutting back and then use enamel paints to repaint...........don't use any acrylic or cellulose paint on it, as you don't know what paint has been used before to paint, and if it was an emamel in the first place..........using an acrylic or cellulose over an oil/enamel based paint will just orange peel all over, resulting in you having to take ALL the paint off and starting all over again.

neil.

NickelBelter

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2013, 01:37:27 am »

No eddie it has been b glued on the outside instead of the inside.
If you carefully remove it using a thin blade it should almost be ready for sticking on the inside as the angles should be close.

No, he's right, it's part of the hull moulding.  The photos show no seam on the inwale where a glued-on caprail would be. 

You can use any paint you want to repaint it, the model is old enough that all solvents will have off-gassed and that is the biggest problem with paint incompatibility.  I would remove as many fittings as possible from the deck, wet-sand the hull and then use a spraycan to give it a nice even primer coat before you repaint it.
I'm interested in tiny versions of regular size things.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2013, 02:00:18 am »

If it is part of the hull moulding it should have been trimmed off to a hull line.
If it is part of the original moulding it is important to remove it.
It will give a point of contact for anything coming alongside and can split the hull vertically if hit in the right way.

As for painting I wouldnt be too particular as it is a working boat so expected to look worked in.

What Speed Controller is in her.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

carisma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2013, 09:19:57 am »

Hi Eddie
I am busy building this boat, if you check out my post Falke you will see it in progress. If you need any help gis a shout I might be able to help.
Cheers
Steve

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2013, 01:54:49 pm »

Hi guys, thanks for input.

Got a cheap £33 delivered, 2.4ghz TX and RX, only 2 channel but that is all I want.

The paint on the hull was being a pain to get off, so in the end I sanded back, cleaned, primed and coated with 4 coats of Nautilus blue. The odd patchy surface is a bonus for me as it looks like pitting.

Started painting the deck items and salvaged some parts to make a crane.

The wheelhouse was shot so re-made the floor, added new clear glass to the front and textured blue to the rear sides and back, also added the ships wheel and 'Captain Joe'. On the back is a double exhaust stack. The roof, again was a pain so it is slightly patchy, had three coats of paint and will look okay once weathered.

Loads more to do.

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2013, 07:58:40 pm »

Is your photo 'big Joe' a kiddie proof fridge latch?

Dave

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2013, 08:10:27 pm »

It is indeed Dave. I am on a very tight budget...nil just about  :embarrassed:  so was scrounging around for bits and pieces and came across two of these latches. Painted them, weathered and I have just attached one to the deck. The exhaust stack is actually a mini ali exhaust keyring, to attach the muffler and have enough distance away from the cabin and roof area I used an old football pump valve nozzel-this fitted into the underside holes of the muffler, bent over, drilled the cabin and screwed into place-works a treat.

Mad_Mike

• Full Mayhemer
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2013, 09:38:44 am »

brilliant  :}  very resourceful

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2013, 10:41:51 am »

Eddie

that radio is still popular with flyers on a budget so it might be worth your while putting the tx and receiver back on ebay, should make 20-30quid plus posatge
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2013, 11:07:07 am »

brilliant  :}  very resourceful
Thanking you sir, I actually bought some davits and then found these in a drawer-they seemed more chunky and the right sort of size.

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2013, 11:11:15 am »

Eddie

that radio is still popular with flyers on a budget so it might be worth your while putting the tx and receiver back on ebay, should make 20-30quid plus posatge
Yep, slapped it on fleabay, starting at 99p, got a bid so far and  a few watchers so, with a bit of luck, it may pay for at least half of the new TX & RX.

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2013, 11:27:35 am »

If i remember correctly they are quite easy to convert to 2.4Ghz if you're hand with the soldeing iron
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2013, 11:41:28 am »

If i remember correctly they are quite easy to convert to 2.4Ghz if you're hand with the soldeing iron
I was reading a link on the web regarding converting this set, but a) I have no soldering iron, and b) the way my hands shake and cramp the thing would be knackared  :D
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 21 queries.