Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Revell 1:350th Bismarck kit  (Read 1503 times)

MarkScratchBuilt

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Revell 1:350th Bismarck kit
« on: March 11, 2013, 04:20:44 am »

Hi guys

I was wondering how good the Revell plastic kits are? i was thinking of buying the Bismarck and converting it to rc found the kit in my local hobby shop and love the ship!  :} 

Any advise appreciated!

Mark

craggle

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boaty McBoatface
Re: Revell 1:350th Bismarck kit
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 08:58:44 am »

Hi Mark

I've built quite a few Revell kits over the years and the quality varies with age. The early revell kits were the normal, almost fit together roughly shaped bits made for kids to stick together but recent Revell releases have increased in quality a lot and are now on par with all the major kit manufacturers.

I think the idea of kids sticking plastic models together is a thing of the past now, they have computers, phones and games consoles to keep them happy so I think the plastic kit manufacturers have started aiming at the enthusiast model maker now who demands quality and accuracy.

Anyway, I haven't seen this kit yet but it does look very good and quite tempting.  ok2
Here is a nice set of photos of one being built with some added, Eduard etched railing. http://www.florymodels.co.uk/revell-1350-bismark/

Re-enforcing the hull may be a good idea as I imagine the plastic moulding is a bit flimsy, it is a static model after all. Maybe a wooden sub frame inside to mount the motors and radio gear on would be a good idea?

Let us know if you do get one.  :-)

Craig.
Model Slipway Envoy tug built.
Huge Lifeboat under construction.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 09:52:43 am »

The only reinforcing that the hull should need is a styrene strip along the hull join internally.  Once the decks are fitted, it will be very adequately rigid.  It will need motor mounts like any other plastic kit conversion.  It should be a relatively simple conversion - the German Navy seemed to have model makers in mind when they designed their capital ships with a one block superstructure that can be fitted over a single coaming.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

MarkScratchBuilt

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 01:13:13 am »

thats a brilliant link craggle thanks! looks like its going to have to go on the birthday wish list!!  :-))  i was thinking maybe a bit of resin to line the internal hull add some motor mounts and it should be fine.  ;)  I would love to have motors for the turrets to rotate too...... that would be cool!
The only reinforcing that the hull should need is a styrene strip along the hull join internally.  Once the decks are fitted, it will be very adequately rigid.  It will need motor mounts like any other plastic kit conversion.  It should be a relatively simple conversion - the German Navy seemed to have model makers in mind when they designed their capital ships with a one block superstructure that can be fitted over a single coaming.
Yeah that is what i was hoping as it would be first plastic kit conversion i have scratch built models previously but want a bit more detail.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 09:27:26 am »

Making the turrets turn should not be a problem apart from the fiddlyness, but waterproofing the join might be.  Anything like that will need to be done before the deck is fixed, and once its on, its on.  1:350 battleships, by their nature, have a low freeboard for their length, you don't want holes in the deck.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

craggle

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boaty McBoatface
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 09:44:13 am »

Get one of these kits to go with it.....  :-)

http://www.tamiya.com/english/products/78025yamato/index.htm

Looks equally as impressive but a bit more expensive if you can find one.

Craig.
Model Slipway Envoy tug built.
Huge Lifeboat under construction.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 21 queries.