Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Filler - again!  (Read 3155 times)

tt1

• Full Mayhemer
  • If I only know a little - then I can learn a lot
Filler - again!
« on: March 14, 2013, 04:27:34 pm »

Following on from discussions from a previous thread, decide to try some of the Upol fantastic body filler. Used to use P38 or David's Isopon types, but have to say this filler is brilliant, smooth and creamy to apply, sands real easy and the squeezy type bag is a boon. Have to recommend it.  Regards. Tony
Upol Fantastic Soft Easy Sanding Light Weight Polyester Filler 1ltr

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Filler - again!
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 07:18:30 pm »

Hi Tony, I'll have to check that one out - I use the P38 but it's not easy to get the mix right or maybe that's just me.

Is your stuff ok to use with regard to putty x hardener quantities ?

Regards,

Ray.

tt1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2013, 01:54:40 am »

Hi Ray, it has very similar properties in as much that too much hardener and it does go off very quickly, but no different to P38 etc. in that respect.  To be honest it took me a while to get used to applying just the right amount of hardener to use using either product.  At one time I'd be needing to buy more hardener to use up what was left in the tin of the base filler!  I think they use to advise using about a pea size of hardener to a golf ball of filler but in my experience it needs to be a TINY pea! Seriously Ray the filler barely needs to smell the hardener - a little practice is all - never had it fail to harden off even when I thought I'd been very mean with the hardener.
                 The squeezy bag is great, no mess, the top undoes and re-seals a treat and no scraping around the edge of the tin to be able to use all of the filler without waste.
           It is just my opinion,  but it's all I'll use from now on.  About £12 a litre off ebay I think.   Regards, Tony. :-))

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 09:33:56 am »

I'll have to look into that one, I have used the U-Pol etch primer before and its very good (if expensive)
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2013, 09:18:20 pm »

Oke doke - thanks Tony. I'll give it a go when my current stock of P38 runs out. :-))

Regards,

Ray.

dmn1

• Shipmate
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2013, 01:31:21 pm »

Hi Tony, what are you doing with filler! You told me you where a Master Craftsman!  O0 O0
Hi mate never tried that filler but will give it a try when present stocks run down, using quite a lot on the hull of my new build Fairmount Alpine tug.
It's getting close to the painting stage and all the handrail making and bending %%
Hope your Moonrakers coming along okay!
Speak to you soon.
Kind regards
Dave.

tt1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2013, 04:07:52 pm »

Hello Dave, nice to see you posting again - there's no charge ya know! {-) {-)
        Moonraker and Deans MTB all parts and assy's primed and complete waiting for outdoor spraying weather.
  Finishing off a Vintage model boats wavemaster now. My first boat using wood - thus the filler - and plenty of it {-) {-) {-)  Seriously had been looking for a nice easy sand creamy filler that can be applied thinly and this stuff really is the mutts nuts for me. Cutting out the window frames by hand was a bit of a pain though, 22 frames and 11 different sizes  {:-{  Must come over and see what kind of a mess your making  {-) {-) {-)   Regards, me.

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2013, 06:25:24 pm »

I had wondered what had happened your Moonraker Tony, I am looking forward to seeing some build pictures. It will be nice when we can get outside again, our predicted high temp for the next week is -1c, it is the worst winter that I can remember in a long time. The trouble with the weather forecasters here is that they are right 95% of the time so not much hope of anything better. Mick B,
Mick B.

goBulawayo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2013, 06:51:24 pm »

Cool nice to hear this stuff works well as I bought some a month or so back but not got around to using it yet

Wayne

tt1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2013, 08:05:19 pm »

Hello Mick, our forecasters are pretty reliable too {:-{   When it's going to be warm and sunny - take yer coat and brolly!  When they say it's going to be cold, windy with freezing temperatures IT ALL READY IS! {-)
A bit like all the gantry signs across the motorways, "be prepared for winter" when we're in the middle of it and love the one "Fog slow Down" when you can hardly see the sign but the best and most annoying is when stopped on the motorway, handbrake on, and you eventually get to the sign that says "Congestion"!!    Hope your getting back to top notch. O0 :-))
Hi Wayne great for filling maybe a little too creamy I think for those who like a fair old dollop around prop and rudder shafts for support - it would no doubt do the job but some may prefer a stiffer mix for this.
                           Regards, Tony.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 21 queries.