Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: 'THE BIG JOE' FISHING TRAWLER.  (Read 9181 times)

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer
  • Shiver me timbers...I've spilt me glue!
'THE BIG JOE' FISHING TRAWLER.
« on: March 14, 2013, 05:42:17 pm »

As some of you may know I got hold of a second hand RC trawler. She needed some TLC. She has had a new hull paint job, the wheelhouse has been rebuilt with Captain Joe at the helm.
I do not do clean and nice, she is a working boat and hence she is a tad grubby. She has new TX and RX, tested and all working as they should...phew.
Still got the inner hull to paint and weather, vents to finish painting etc, some Robbe Halogen lights to fit and other bits and pieces, all told she is 70% finished. Hoping to take her to meet Stan and give her her first swim on Sunday.
Some piccies of her.
Si:)

My models are not nice, clean and ship-shape. They be mucky, grubby, rusty and smelly.

sparkey

• Full Mayhemer
  • I think I am as mad as I think I am then I am mad
Re: 'THE BIG JOE' FISHING TRAWLER.
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 06:01:42 pm »

%% Looks like one of mine,was not meant too just does,not a working boat either,turned out that way sort of had a hard life,looks what you
call lived in,happy sailing on sunday! Ray >>:-( >>:-( [size=78%]  [/size]
My boats are all wood like my head fluctuat nec mergitur

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 08:02:47 pm »

LOL, I know what you mean, you start off doing a little weathering and before you know it...it's wrecked. 'The Big Joe' is painted in a similar way to a fishing boat I saw in Bridlington a few years ago. She looked scruffy and a tad sorry for herself but she started up and chugged out of the harbour, she looked grand though-blistered, rusty paintwork, the roof was very similar to how I have done mine, she was dirty and green in places and I thought: 'Bless you my dear'. As she disappeared.
I love mucky tubs-they look as you said, lived in.
My models are not nice, clean and ship-shape. They be mucky, grubby, rusty and smelly.

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 08:18:03 pm »

Being having problems with the rear cabin roof... >>:-(  the chuffing thing keeps lifting at one corner...re-glued and had a tight rubber band around to keep down...removed the band and...yep...the corner slowly came un-glued and lifted in a almost lazy...'I'm not gonna stick and you canna make me!' kind of way >:-o This time I have added loads of glue and will leave with said rubber band on until the morning...YOU WILL STAY DOWN I SAY!...Or else... <*<

Kev

• Full Mayhemer
    • Driftaway Natural Arts and Crafts
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 08:47:15 pm »

Looking really good love the weathering.. My kind of boat :-))

sharkbite0

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2013, 08:56:20 pm »

remember seeing this on ebay ;)
its looking the part now and looks like most working fishing boats (grubby)
your doing a great job  :-))  pleased the radio is working and he is ready to get his bum wet.
good luck with the maiden sail and keep us posted how it go's
regards
mick
you only get one childhood so make it last all your life.

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 09:52:26 pm »

Looking really good love the weathering.. My kind of boat :-))

Cheers Kev, nothing like a good óle beat up fishing boat, glad you like it. Got some ideas from your thread, love the sea, sun, worn look of your boat.

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2013, 09:56:52 pm »

remember seeing this on ebay ;)
its looking the part now and looks like most working fishing boats (grubby)
your doing a great job  :-))  pleased the radio is working and he is ready to get his bum wet.
good luck with the maiden sail and keep us posted how it go's
regards
mick

Cheers Mick, yep, thought I would have a go and won as I wanted a boat built with the gubbins inside, just easier for me at the moment with my hands.
I think a bath, ballast/leak test might be in the offing first...she may look like pile of junk but I'd rather she didn't sink on her first outing :-)

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2013, 10:34:28 pm »

Few more painting bits, vents/cowls, added a spot lamp at back of cabin and a new 'tarp' over the rowing boat, hated the green colour but painting it would be awkward and look naff, plus, she has new red lines! The black is for the new white letters for the name, when they arrive. The wheelhouse is slightly raised as the rubber band is still in place due to the hateful roof part >:-o

Mad_Mike

• Full Mayhemer
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2013, 10:02:47 am »

I see you have made more progress than i realised after replying to your other thread. It looking great youve done well. Are you going to fix the gap in the side or are you leaving it as part of the rough look? I noticed you asked a question about the aerial for the 2.4ghz. Yes they are suppose to be short, the silvery uncovered bit at the end is actually the bit where the signal goes to. As suggested on the other thread jsut keep the receiver and the attena as high up in the hull as possible, the receiver doesnt matter too much but that silvery bit keep that high and preferably upright if you can. Dont worry about range on this system, they are usually capable of ranges up to and beyond a mile. you will lose site of it before you lose range.

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2013, 11:15:31 am »

I see you have made more progress than i realised after replying to your other thread. It looking great youve done well. Are you going to fix the gap in the side or are you leaving it as part of the rough look? I noticed you asked a question about the aerial for the 2.4ghz. Yes they are suppose to be short, the silvery uncovered bit at the end is actually the bit where the signal goes to. As suggested on the other thread jsut keep the receiver and the attena as high up in the hull as possible, the receiver doesnt matter too much but that silvery bit keep that high and preferably upright if you can. Dont worry about range on this system, they are usually capable of ranges up to and beyond a mile. you will lose site of it before you lose range.
Hi Mike, I have some really thin self-stick neoprene roll on its way, this will be added to the lip to offer support and add some protection, this will also be held in place by 10mm ribbon crimps, these also have a small notch ring on them to hang tyres etc, so will add more protection. Glad you like it, she is coming along rather well...so far.
Thanks for the info on the RX, was not sure at all regarding the ariel.

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2013, 11:38:22 am »

Postie arrived and brought me some more goodies :} The white letter set, some white metal davits, brass 10mm port and starboard nav lights, a bit big but they will do, 4 halogen deck lights and 4 boxes of various fish on ice for the deck.

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2013, 12:48:03 pm »

Done a few more things, nav lights in place, more weathered wheelhouse-I can't help myself!-cranes fitted both sides and a new hatch cover built to house the crated fish.

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2013, 01:18:46 pm »

Just to add that 'THE BIG JOE' has been re-named 'BIG D J96' after my son  :D
Just added some white waterproof letters, badly I might add :((  but, they will do for now.

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2013, 05:44:05 pm »

Sorted out that chuffing roof that would not stay down, I got my trusty p600 super strength, industrial adhesive and used that. I also used the adhesive on some wood strips on the rear cabin area and to attach some deck lights. These are going nowhere!

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2013, 07:19:18 pm »

Few more piccies of 'BIG D J96'.
Added some deck slats to the rear cabin area, deck lights fitted, found a gog like thing that fitted well on to the cupboard child lock/crane-could only find one gog though :(( , small davit fitted in front of the fish hold, some lettering added, weathered the nav lights and deck lights + wood slats.

Kev

• Full Mayhemer
    • Driftaway Natural Arts and Crafts
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2013, 07:43:24 pm »

Looking really used and weather beaten.. love it  :-))

Where did you get the fish from?

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2013, 07:52:45 pm »

Looking really used and weather beaten.. love it  :-))

Where did you get the fish from?
Cheers Kev, she is looking better now that the roof is staying down. The fish, in ice and in the boxes are from ebay, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350502110132?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649 they are 1/12 scale but worked rather well and for Ł4.99 posted, all made up and painted I didn't think that was too bad.

Mad_Mike

• Full Mayhemer
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2013, 08:08:09 pm »

And people say i work fast :o  looking good.  :-))

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2013, 08:14:28 pm »

And people say i work fast :o  looking good.  :-))

LOL, with my disability I cannot work so have time, problem is my hands cramp, dodgy eyes...well loads of stuff so work while I am up to it, next week I may do naff all as I maybe in too much pain. I keep a adding...must stop, must stop.

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2013, 10:11:33 pm »

*FLOAT/LEAK/STABILITY-TEST*
Right, thought I may bite the bullet and dunk her in the bath.
FLOATING: FLOATS-PASSED.
LEAKS: NONE-PASSED.
STABILITY: LISTED SLIGHTLY DUE TO BATTERY NOT BEING POSITIONED CORRECTLY-PASSED.
Does the RC work?
Yep, except the up position on the stick is reverse and vice-versa, good speed control-except I noticed that a forward motion was not always cancelled out by reversing the prop-this failed to engage {:-{ 9 out 10 times it worked to null the speed but that 1 time it failed. When I take it to the pond sometime I will let the lads have a gander. The speed on full throttle is suicidal! If I where to go that fast and hit anything the boat would just disintegrate {-)

sharkbite0

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2013, 10:14:02 pm »

si this is looking realy good mate  :-))
just wish the guy you bought it off could see it now lol  >>:-(
bet he would be kicking him self  <:(
i know you suffer from pains and cramp's but your doing a fine job keep it up my frend. :-))
regards
mick
you only get one childhood so make it last all your life.

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2013, 10:22:06 pm »

si this is looking realy good mate  :-))
just wish the guy you bought it off could see it now lol  >:-(" src="http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/Smileys/Tug/tickedoff.gif">
bet he would be kicking him self   
i know you suffer from pains and cramp's but your doing a fine job keep it up my frend. :-))
regards
mick
Many thanks Mick, I think just a few more hours work and she should be ready for her début on the pond. I wonder if the guy would try and sell it higher or cry at the state of it?

Mad_Mike

• Full Mayhemer
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2013, 11:59:58 am »

hi eddie
the reverse stick forward boat thing is either because a) the servo reverse switch is in the wrong place or the wires on the motor are wrong way round. If you look at the transmitter handset, there will be 2 slide switches. one will say something like trl rev and the other will say something like str rev. they switch the direction of the control sticks. Turn off the boat and transmitter click the trl rev over and when you power back up forward should be forward.

sparkey

• Full Mayhemer
  • I think I am as mad as I think I am then I am mad
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2013, 12:07:23 pm »

%% I like the boxes of fish very realistic,Ray. %% %% 
My boats are all wood like my head fluctuat nec mergitur
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 22 queries.