Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: F1 - 2013  (Read 10176 times)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: F1 - 2013
« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2013, 09:24:19 am »

OK Bob there is the car of your dreams, no heat generated, engine has no moving parts, fuel does not burn, used on one of the fastest dragsters in the USA during the 70s...how was it powered ?

a four wheel bicycle?!
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

heritorasphodel

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #51 on: March 19, 2013, 09:51:35 am »

Racing nowadays just takes different skills. Both Stirling Moss and Jackie Stewart have said before that if you put them in one of the modern F1 cars they wouldn't know how to race. They also said you can't compare racing drivers over the eras. Clark and Moss, while excellent drivers of their time, cannot be compared with drivers like Schumacher and Vettel because they race in entirely different circumstances.

But I agree with you Mick, Vettel probably is the best currently. Like a decade ago it was Schumacher, a decade before that it was Senna, and way before then Clark and Fangio. But Raikonnen deserved that win as an apology for getting lost in Brazil  :-)

Andrew

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: March 19, 2013, 09:58:44 am »

That would be a quadcycle Martin but no it was a proper full-size  dragster that could have had a blown V8 or similar instead of the powerplant I mean. Besides the pedalist would generate heat.
..well can you land on this?

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: March 19, 2013, 12:38:54 pm »

I would argue that John Surtees certainly has to be up there with the best, not only did he win the f1 championship in 64 he also won  the 350cc motorcycle world championship in 1958, 59 & 60 AND the 500cc world championship in 1956, 58,59 & 60

Only chap ever to be both F1 and what is now MotoGP world champion

One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: March 19, 2013, 12:39:41 pm »

He didn't get lost, some numpty locked a gate that was open for practices, qualifying and previous Brazilian GP's. He'd used it before.

Regards  Ian
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #55 on: April 14, 2013, 05:34:29 pm »

I must say, this year's BBC pre-race features is almost masterful!
 eg: 'How to do a pitstop': http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01rxjtq/Formula_1_2013_The_Chinese_Grand_Prix/  20:20 in
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #56 on: April 14, 2013, 05:40:15 pm »

Suzy Perry is embarrassing, has an organism every time she mentions a long ago world champion.

Pity the race wasn't one lap longer.

Regards  Ian

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
« Reply #57 on: April 14, 2013, 06:39:44 pm »

Once again it desended into a race about tyres. They are now deciding every race, It is no longer about the fastest driver or the fastest car on the day . We all saw Vettels superior skill & driving ability when he had the right setup but in the end the rules took any chance he had of winning away. It may be good for T/V ratings but for those of us that have raced, boring, boring boring.  I predict that the day will come when F1 will question what it was thinking in its pea brained way at this point in the sport, Mick B. 
Mick B.

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: April 14, 2013, 09:39:56 pm »

Man of the match..the Flying Finn :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))
..well can you land on this?

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #59 on: April 14, 2013, 10:37:45 pm »

Man of the match..the Flying Finn :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))
Totally concur. BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

heritorasphodel

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #60 on: April 15, 2013, 12:23:26 am »

You know something must be going wrong if bits fall off the car and find it works without them! For those that didn't see it, Raikonnen tapped Perez's rear wheel knocking off almost half the vanes on the front wing and damaging the nose, but still managed to come in second. Makes you wonder why Lotus fitted them in the first place.

In my opinion greatest kudos goes to Daniel Ricciardo, finishing in the highest position he's ever gotten after qualifying higher than before (both 7th). Close second is Jensen Button, who managed 5th with what is not a particularly good car. And, grudgingly, Vettel who reduced the gap between himself and Hamilton from 13 seconds to 0.2 seconds in four laps, and would have taken third if the race was a lap longer.

Andrew

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
« Reply #61 on: April 15, 2013, 06:46:15 am »

Button deserves a better car, He is the smoothest driver in F1 right now & can stretch his tyres farther than any other driver & to top it off he is a good sport too. The Finn is brilliant when he wants to be, it remains to be seen if he is committed to winning the championship. I thought the same as you Andrew, I think a lot of the add on's are for show & the damage to the Lotus proved it, they had no effect on the performance that was visible anyway. Mick B.
Mick B.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #62 on: April 15, 2013, 09:04:40 am »

I liked Coulthard's quip about Webber: 'If it wasn't for bad luck, he'd have no luck at all!'

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #63 on: April 15, 2013, 09:08:22 am »

There's probably an element of show in the aero bits n bobs, but they were probably put there for more than just sponsorship space, even if the effects are probably deep in the land of diminishing returns.  I can't help wondering where Kimi would have finished if he hadn't lost whatever extra the bits were giving him.  Might have been much worse on a different track or different conditions.  Then again, performing like that why he was a champion, and it shows he's still got it.
What is a pity is that it has been necessary to deliberately design tyres to wear out rapidly - racing is supposed to improve the breed, and while introducing an element of an obstacle race into the proceedings has increased the number of variables into the event, the entire circus does take a step back from being a competition of excellence.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

nick_75au

• Full Mayhemer
    • Logan City Marine Modellers
« Reply #64 on: April 15, 2013, 10:16:20 am »

Im a Webber fan, for obvious reasons, not a fan of that pesky German but he can drive. Kimis a classic I wonder if some bits will be taken off the car for next week, and well done to Ricciardo ;)  hope he can get some consistency this year.
Cant watch any of the practice sessions here (legally  %) [size=78%]) for love or money[/size]
Nick

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #65 on: April 15, 2013, 10:37:59 am »

:o ...on this evening's news in OZ.......
Webber will leave F1 & the RED bull &  has signed with Porsche for 5 years in the Porsche world series.......series which includes Le Mans....... O0 Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

nick_75au

• Full Mayhemer
    • Logan City Marine Modellers
« Reply #66 on: April 15, 2013, 10:44:35 am »

Yet Porsche deny the deal %)

He must be doing something for the team else they would not have re-signed him this year.

Nick

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #67 on: April 15, 2013, 11:00:22 am »

Seems to be ensuring that the latest upgrades are fitted to his and the sister teams cars? %)

Regards  Ian.

inertia

« Reply #68 on: April 15, 2013, 11:17:01 am »

I liked Coulthard's quip about Webber: 'If it wasn't for bad luck, he'd have no luck at all!'

Not quite original though ..................... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9QKHkY3rew

(Not the best-known version, but quite the best IMHO)
DM

hopeitfloats

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #69 on: April 15, 2013, 12:53:05 pm »

Once again it desended into a race about tyres. They are now deciding every race, It is no longer about the fastest driver or the fastest car on the day . We all saw Vettels superior skill & driving ability when he had the right setup but in the end the rules took any chance he had of winning away. It may be good for T/V ratings but for those of us that have raced, boring, boring boring.  I predict that the day will come when F1 will question what it was thinking in its pea brained way at this point in the sport, Mick B.

if the tyres were made to last a race it would be boring because the same 2 or 3  drivers would win every week by 10 seconds. at least tyres at present provide a bit of interest in that wrong choices can be made etc. thats why i  would like to see refuelling come back. it adds another twist to the plot. i know the racing  purists wont agree and fair enough, but if the race was supposed to truely decide the best driver then the cars would be manual transmission, no hi tech gadgets on the steering wheel and no telemetry along with all the other tricks they have on hand.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #70 on: April 15, 2013, 01:31:10 pm »

What fuel do the F1 cars use these days?

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #71 on: April 15, 2013, 02:07:43 pm »

What fuel do the F1 cars use these days?

Bull***t

Regards  Ian.

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #72 on: April 15, 2013, 03:39:15 pm »

if the tyres were made to last a race it would be boring because the same 2 or 3  drivers would win every week by 10 seconds. at least tyres at present provide a bit of interest in that wrong choices can be made etc. thats why i  would like to see refuelling come back. it adds another twist to the plot. i know the racing  purists wont agree and fair enough, but if the race was supposed to truely decide the best driver then the cars would be manual transmission, no hi tech gadgets on the steering wheel and no telemetry along with all the other tricks they have on hand.

True... I think that's why some of the single marque race series have much closer and exciting racing
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

hopeitfloats

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #73 on: July 08, 2013, 09:18:32 am »

are there any other  F1 fans having trouble getting enthusiastic about this season. I just cant get into it. same winners every week. getting very boring. lucky we get IRL  televised to supply a bit of real open wheel racing action.

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #74 on: July 08, 2013, 09:43:01 am »

Politics, money and the poison Dwarf have tainted the "Sport". The best driver is winning again. Pity the worlds best driver was pushed out, yet again. Only to be substituted by a one trick pony, still, he's a good talker and with the BBC fawning all over him perhaps they can publish different results. F1 is cyclic, same old, Ferrari ALWAYS winning, McLaren ALWAYS winning, Williams Etc.

Don't forget the alternative, Moto GP. Unfortunately Dorma is using the theifalstone fillosoŁy so that's now loosing its glitz.

Regards  Ian.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 22 queries.