Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: help with paint bleeding up under the edge of the masking tape  (Read 3822 times)

old shrimper

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!

trying to paint the rub rails  / capping rails and boot line (with a camel hair bush about 1/4 wide ) after removing the tape i find the paint has seeped under the tape ruining the line
 i will admit im using a good commercial tape $12 roll x 1" not model tape , is there that much difference ?
all so i am using the paint as thick as i can to stop it seeping,  and painting from the line down

does paint seep under the tape when using an air brush ??
thanks

50 YEARS OF TOWING NETS

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
Re: help with paint bleeding up under the edge of the masking tape
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 05:16:15 am »

Try Tamiya tape. It is almost smooth unlike 'commercial' masking tapes that have 'folds' to allow it to go round corners more easily.   Comes in various widths so if you want a wavy line, use a narrow tape first then a wider one.
Not cheap but it works.
Air brushing with a light coat first will help seal the joint then "heavier" coats can be applied.

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 11:31:50 am »

Hi
if you are painting a black hull ,white superstructer.
1 paint the superstructer white but over paint on to the hull
2 put the tape down on the devide line rub down
3 give the masking take a quick spray with the white ,this will seal the tape and if it bleeds it is only white on white.
4 now paint the black. and you should have a very neat line.

John

RMH

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2013, 11:32:51 am »

I'll second Tamiya tape, billiant stuff. Once in place you could also try rubbing it down with a finger nail to get a good seal and if you peel it away when the paint is still tacky, pulling away from the bit you've just painted,  you lessen the risk of cracking dried paint off.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2013, 11:53:23 am »

Hi after taping up I usually hand paint the tape / hull join with a thinned varnish and let it dry, no problem then.
good luck, Roy

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2013, 11:54:42 am »

old shrimper     :} ...just go to Bunning's & buy a packet of 6 rolls of 20 mm wide x 10 m long PVC electricians tape........for about $2.50   O0
It releases perfectly..........if the paint surface below the tape peels away it is only due to incorrect application of the previous coating by you  :embarrassed:
Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

old shrimper

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2013, 12:09:56 am »

hi guys
thanks for the tips and tricks
i was reading about FROG tape ?  the reviews say its great for water base paint but a not so good for 2 packs / lacquers  ?   [size=78%]im using [/size]ordinary[size=78%] enamel for this one ,[/size]
i bought a roll to try it out anyway ,we don't have a model shop here so tamiya is order in only
i think ill use some pin striping tape for the boot line , nice and easy , the capping and rub rails is a another issue
cheers Bob
50 YEARS OF TOWING NETS

Kangaroo1

• Shipmate
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2013, 12:39:41 am »

Not sure if it'll help, but both 3M & tesa sell what they call "fineline" masking tapes. These are specifically designed for producing clean lines when painting and clean removal afterwards....

RMH

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2013, 08:03:04 am »

To get a good bootline first spray the area where the bootline will be with the appropriate colour. Then apply masking tape of the right width then you can spray the hull colours over the top. When finished pull off the masking tape and there you will have the perfect bootline that will not peel off. Easy Peasy

Stavros

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2013, 10:23:39 am »

old shrimper     :} ...just go to Bunning's & buy a packet of 6 rolls of 20 mm wide x 10 m long PVC electricians tape........for about $2.50   O0
It releases perfectly..........if the paint surface below the tape peels away it is only due to incorrect application of the previous coating by you  :embarrassed:
Derek

Well said that man TOP TIP.As soon as the paint has flashed off you really need to remove the tape and then with a CLEAN finger run it along the paint join line.....WHY ......Well it will flatten the ridge between both colours and eliminating the ridge.

Ask Tug Kenny if it works.....he will and there are several other on this forum who have taken my advise and thanked me for that tip .....WHY.......cos it works.I allways do it on cars that are painted 2 tone

Dave

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2013, 11:04:50 am »

Good useful advice everyone.  Thank you.  I will soon be starting another hull spraying, and want to get a better job than last time where I used a plastic masking "Frog Tape".  Despite burninshing well down paint crept under so I ended up having to use Trim Line tape instead of paint for the boot line.

Thanks 'old shrimper' for raising this topic.
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

old shrimper

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2013, 11:27:54 am »

THANKS for all the great tips
im in the process of a full rub down on the hull at the moment ( to get rid of the brush marks )as most of the hull is finished ,and im waiting for my airbrush kit to arrive

50 YEARS OF TOWING NETS
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 22 queries.