Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1:96 scale WW2 carrier H M S Illustrious  (Read 7169 times)

Donald M

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
1:96 scale WW2 carrier H M S Illustrious
« on: March 18, 2013, 08:58:45 pm »

Hello

I am a new member and this is my first attempt at the forum, and hope someone can help. Other members of my model boat club enthuse about the forum so thought I would give it a try

I have purchased a 1:96 scale WW2 Carrier HMS Illustrious, the seller was kind enough to give me a book on it's sister ship HMS Victorious which will be a help, but I would like to get a 1:96 scale plan and if possible a source for the armament and boats etc. So if anyone can help it would be much appreciated

Donald M

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer
  • Shiver me timbers...I've spilt me glue!
Re: 1:96 scale WW2 carrier H M S Illustrious
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 09:02:19 pm »

Hi Donald, as a newbie on the forum myself I'm afraid I cannot help you, but I can welcome you, good help is to be had by the folks on here. Sure someone will point you in the right direction.
Si:)
My models are not nice, clean and ship-shape. They be mucky, grubby, rusty and smelly.

hmsantrim

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 10:28:18 pm »

Hi Donald.

The hull you have is a Deans marine product  you will get some parts from them and the usual suspects.
                     click on the link to go to deans site and view product.
            http://www.deansmarine.co.uk/shop/product_info.php/cPath/26_33/products_id/537

What club have you joined. ? I can supply a copy of the plans which are the origional ship yard drawings.  you can send me
               a pm to discuss this further.    Deans only supplied the mouldings though they now produce some aircraft for it.

Frank.

Donald M

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 10:52:34 pm »

Hello Frank

Many thanks for the reply, I presumed the seller had made the hull as according to the book I have  it appears that the middle prop is too far forward but I will check it out before I take my trusty Dremel to it!!!!.

I have been modelling for 10 years or so and am the President of Knightswood Model Boat Club (in Glasgow), would be grateful for a copy of the plans as I do not fancy trying to scale up those in the book, I will od course re-imburse you for any outlay.

Regards

Donald

PW569

• Full Mayhemer
  • magnificus in minisculum
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 11:28:44 am »

This is no good for 1/96, but at least a start and for free:

Dean's Marine

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dean's Marine
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2013, 04:01:13 pm »

copy from the semi-kit listing   plams are now available from NMM greenwich or from some kind modeller
 ILLUSTRIOUS  SEMI-KIT    1/96 Scale.   
This is a semi- scale model of the W.W.11 Aircraft Carrier with a hull length of 93" and a beam of 15". Moulded in fibreglass the hull includes all plating and port detail, armour belt. boat stowage openings, outriggers, and sponsons. A further set of fibreglass mouldings includes the bridge island and the funnel. This is a proven hull since she entered the world endurance record attempt held in Stevenage in 1987, where she was nicknamed the "Battle barge"  by those who came across her mighty bows.

A full set of fittings is produced for this model. As in all the other semi-kits full details on request with a s.a.e.
 HISTORY.
 One of a class of four fleet Aircraft carriers completed in 1939-1940. With an overall length of 753 ft on a dispacement of 23,000 tons the turbines of 110,000 S.H.P. gave a speed of 31, knots.  Armed with 16 x 4.5" guns and many smaller A.A. guns, she also carried about 45 aircraft.
 In November of 1940 she took part in the famous raid on Taranto, releasing her aircraft to torpedo the Italian Battleships in their base. Three of them and a cruiser were badly damaged.
 She is best remembered for her service in the Mediterranean, especially the desperate Malta convoys. Later in the war she played a major part against the Japanese in the Far east.

Note  Semi- Scale
 This hull is not a scale model of the H.M.S. Illustrious for no full set of original plans were available at that time. The original hull was constructed from plans of the H.M.S.IIlustrious / Indefatgable, her near sister by members of the Peterborough Area Model boat club for the world record attempt in 1987.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.116 seconds with 22 queries.