Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 70th Anniversary of the Battle of the Atlantic - Liverpool  (Read 4799 times)

Davy1

• Full Mayhemer
  • Association of Model Submariners
70th Anniversary of the Battle of the Atlantic - Liverpool
« on: January 21, 2013, 09:06:42 am »

Worth putting this in your Diary. There will be quite a large display of models organised by the Model Boat Convention. Also a large number of 1:1 warships will be there. I intend to have a look at the original Royal Navy Command centre used in the Battle of the Atlantic, which is apparently very interesting.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-news/in-the-mix/2012/12/05/liverpool-to-stage-last-battle-of-the-atlantic-commemoration-100252-32363796/

David

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
Re: 70th Anniversary of the Battle of the Atlantic - Liverpool
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 09:52:25 am »

Hi David

I live too close to miss that event. If anyone has a list of the visiting warships and their class, it would be handy to see.

Dave

Davy1

• Full Mayhemer
  • Association of Model Submariners
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 10:10:44 am »

Yes indeed.
Trouble is they always seem to be a little cagey about what will be present (Operational requirements come first!?)
I do understand that there will be some 100% wet warships present. So it is going to be well worth a look if you live close to Liverpool or even a good excuse to visit Liverpool that weekend if you live further afield.
David

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 02:08:34 pm »

I understand that the model boat bit has been cancelled due to lack of response or interest from those approached.
 LB

dave301bounty

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 07:52:20 pm »

Your ever so right ,the mob over in wallasey are in disaray ,as to what they are doing ,look at the state of website ,events planned by their l/ships cannot be held back by ###wits .so this is what ive,been told ,shame innit ..

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 08:50:34 pm »

The Wallasey mob ran a great fundraiser for the Lifeboats Dave
Same planned for this year I think?

Dave

NFMike

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plague Marine Services
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 10:14:19 pm »

I think part of the problem was that the organisers wanted commitment from the clubs of what boats would be available, etc, about 6 months ahead, for a bank holiday weekend. There obviously aren't many club members who are prepared to go that far ahead. I think they would have been better to allocate a moderate space and try for a 2...3 month commitment window.

boat captain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2013, 12:21:19 pm »

I think part of the problem was that the organisers wanted commitment from the clubs of what boats would be available, etc, about 6 months ahead, for a bank holiday weekend. There obviously aren't many club members who are prepared to go that far ahead. I think they would have been better to allocate a moderate space and try for a 2...3 month commitment window.

We had to plan 6 months ahead, to allow Liverpool City Council time to organise another event in the space allocated, if we could not get the support of enough clubs.  As it happened apart from one club the response was very poor so we withdrew.
Joe Lang
Vice Chair the Model Boat Convention
Joe
Liverpool MBC Committee Member

mersey dave

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2013, 12:33:27 pm »

Dave

What he should have said is the new Brighton model boat club are having problems, the Wallasey model boat society are going great , and yes we will be doing the fund raising day again this year for the New Brighton Life Boat

Regards Dave.

dave301bounty

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2013, 03:13:38 pm »

Dave Norseman ,leave the model boats alone ,I got the latest info from the Merchant Navy,s own ,the Nautilus .all details as of ,,are being announced as they are ,it is going to be quite a big event and as you say ,being on this side of the River you really dont want to miss ,  if I can I will let you have some particulars ,,you may have them already ,however  this event is a not to miss. as far as the new brighton boat club is concerned ,it has ceased ,reasons for this are far too many to say ,my memories and a lot of other model boaters are of the previous lake ,the happy good times the yachting and steering plus the great built by comp there are a couple of chaps who have the pics of these events ,I have a discof one particular year ,but there were a great many much before I was there ..but there you are ,it only needs one ..?

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2013, 08:45:50 pm »

there are a couple of chaps who have the pics of these events

I once saw an old photo from New Brighton boating lake that showed a big Foundation Franklin - now more photos of that would be great.

Re south of the Mersey ... the model boaters I have met over there have all been really nice lads ... which is amazing really as they all live south of the Mersey  {-)

Dave

dave301bounty

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2013, 06:52:43 pm »

Dave da Norse .what,s a Foundation Franklyn .forgive my ignorance .I,ve got some nice pics of the lake ,a couple in particular of my old drifter ,she went help another boat  and a freak gust cought the mizen sail and she turned turtle ,I was more interested  in photoing the sinking after all you dont see this every day ,later on I got most of her out .got some nice of my old Connister ,steam driven ,when no/one complained .but there y,are I myself think these days have gone ,at n b  I think its been too modernised,but that,s only my opinion ,others agree .  as far as fundraising for the lifeboat ,this is ongoing with my assosiation has been at sea too but we dont shout about it ,I did my share many years ago ,and know quite a lot of past and present crew members ,  sea you around Dave . Dave ..

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2013, 07:06:02 pm »

dave301bounty

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2013, 07:44:07 pm »

Thanks for that ,they were good days ,proof ,they were good pics ,looks a good club that Runcorn ,again thanks .

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2013, 08:20:38 pm »

Thanks for that ,they were good days ,proof ,they were good pics ,looks a good club that Runcorn ,again thanks .
In fairness, the picture is taken at what was then New Brightons pond, many years ago, although I think at the time Ron may have been a member of Runcorn at that time but not sure..

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2013, 08:28:57 pm »

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foundation_Franklin

Dave I have a great little book written about the life and times of The Foundation Franklin. The Grey Seas Under by Farley Mowat. I would be happy to lend it to you.

Dave

dave301bounty

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2013, 03:36:40 pm »

Dave the Norseman ,thanks for info ,as it happens ive got more books on shipping ,tugs ,coasters ,engines ,in fact every thing I needed for when I was studying ,never got rid of ,its all in a box in the famous loft ,marked of course ,plus a library ,but I will read what I have ,bound to have something on that Tug ,dont know how I missed it ,and by the way Mr Longbuild ,that spot on the old lake I dubbed it the bad luck ,that is were my drifter went down ,also my motor yacht lost all signals ,but there we are .thank you for all info ,Dave Wavertree Liverpool ..

yewgarth

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2013, 09:11:22 pm »

Dave

Thanks Dave  :-))
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 22 queries.