Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Plastikote  (Read 2223 times)

steam up

• Full Mayhemer
Plastikote
« on: March 19, 2013, 10:28:40 pm »

A friend has asked if any has used this product he applied a green enamel spray to the hull over two weeks ago and its still not fully dry >:-o >:-o .

mikearace

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Plastikote
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 10:35:52 pm »

I have seen some comments from people on web sites saying that it is good but I used this once a few years back on a hull and my experience was it is horrible nasty stuff.  Mine took  days and days to dry fully and as it was drying it started to ripple and react.  I thought maybe I hadn't fully washed the hull down correctly but I then took some clean spare plastic sheet, sanded it well, washed it, sanded it, rinsed it and tested the plasticote.  Exactly the same thing. I wouldn't go anywhere near the stuff.  A reet sack o cacky.
Not just two wheels...........and never trust a hippie

Stavros

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 10:35:53 pm »

MMMM Not really surprised to be honest with you.....I am a professional car painter and had a brain storm a few weekds ago and used this ....(cant say what I really want to I would get Banned) Put the primer on left it a week or so and top coated and it reacted with their primer.....joke is it states on their cans that a REACTION will take place if you apply subsequent coats after 4 hours or something like that.

ALL I CAN SAY IS AVOID LIKE THE PLAUGE.

Your friends only option is to either bring it into a warm place for a few days and see what happens if it doesnt dry they hey ho get the paint stripper out and simply start again using a totally different paint product

Dave

inertia

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 11:07:18 pm »

Both echo my experience with the stuff, plus it made the floor sticky for weeks afterwards.
DM

big_bri

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 11:35:28 pm »

Mmmmm, I must be very fortunate.
I`ve used the primer for years and never had any problems.
Also used the green for the decks on a Hooben Perkasa, again no problems.
I lay on fine coats and it dries pretty fast.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Brian

steam up

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2013, 11:39:58 pm »

My mate brought the hull around to show me looks fine and feels dry to the touch however any pressure on the underside of the hull (green )and the dam stuff comes off.

West Coast tug

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2013, 04:12:06 am »

Over here on this side of the pond they took the original formula and made it environmentally friendly water based stuff , It takes days to dry and will most likely bubble up when re coating . The paint has gone to the junk yard with reactions and not drying.
There Primer #466 grey sand able is still a lacquer based paint and is still very good I still recommend this for base stuff.
Gary   

Stavros

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2013, 05:20:14 pm »

Glad to hear some one else is having reactions Big time and over the pond as well

Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 22 queries.