Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Does Humbrol still do enamel varnish ???  (Read 1755 times)

Ted_H

• Full Mayhemer
Does Humbrol still do enamel varnish ???
« on: March 20, 2013, 12:08:42 am »

I'll be soon wanting to varnish the hull of my warship, currently sprayed with grey Humbrol matt acrylic, a black boot topping of Humbrol matt enamel and a red Halfords acrylic for the anti fouling. (certainaly a mixed bag there !)

I thought as I did many years ago if I picked up a can of Humbrol enamel satin varnish I could finish the job however none of my stockists seem to have any. All they have on the shelves are acrylic varnishes , which would be ok if the boot topping wasnt enamel and will obviously react.
Does Humbrol still do a spray enamel ? or can someone suggest a suitable alternative.

I dont have an airbrush nor to I like the idea of brush painting the varnish on. I'd much prefer a spray can.

Thanks guys
Ted  :police:
So many things to do, and not enough time to do it !

hmsantrim

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Does Humbrol still do enamel varnish ???
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 02:48:30 am »

Hi Ted.
               here.   http://www.modelzone.co.uk/150ml-spray-enamel-satin-varnish.html? 
                            utm_google=googleps&gclid=CK6i1s2iirYCFczHtAodgUUAuA

Frank.

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 07:24:56 am »

I have never had any success with that varnish, always seems to come out in globs and spits. Test spray something non important before spraying your hard work
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

hopeitfloats

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 07:35:29 am »

what would be wrong with a  spray can of enamel varnish from your local hardware or paint supply shop. i have used it on plenty of items with no problems although not boat related. i could give you brand names but chances are that being from nz they wont relate to uk suppliers.

Ted_H

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 09:41:54 pm »

if anyone can recommend a readily available alternative I'd give it a try.

As for the reply by essex2visuvesi,.. what I do with all my spray tins is to stand them in warm water or even put them on the radiator to bring the temperature of the contents up a little. I found that ths apparently eases the spray and stops the uneveness.

thanks for all your help in this ...If it comes to it I'll try to convince the local stockist to make a special order for some humbrol spray. Thats when the shop owner is in and knows what I'm talking about, and not the Saturday girl !

Ted
So many things to do, and not enough time to do it !

Stavros

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 10:00:32 pm »

As for the reply by essex2visuvesi,.. what I do with all my spray tins is to stand them in warm water or even put them on the radiator to bring the temperature of the contents up a little. I found that ths apparently eases the spray and stops the uneveness.

Ted

Ted I am agast at what you have said to put a spray can on a radiator sorry to say this but it is totally irresponsable and downright dangerous.I am a proffesional painter and know what I am talking about.

An Aerosol on a radiator is a accident looking for somewhere to happen.......your house me thinks MOST DEFO....Please refrain from doing this not only for YOUR sake but think of OTHERS who may be on the house.An Aerosol is a pressurised canister with not only a propellant in it but also thinners let alone as you are well aware of Paint.When you heat an aerosol on a radiator all you are doing at best is either the bottom of it or a side and it WILL not heat up uniformally and WILL EXPLODE.

NO areosol and it doesnt matter what make shape or form should be heated up IN ANY WAY not on a RADIATOR or EVEN IN WATER.There is NO excuse for this.......and I know I will get all the excuses .....oh by the way HEARD THEM ALL BEFORE...

There is NO need to warm it up all you need to do is make sure where you are spraying is Warm and that the aerosol is at the same temp as the room.SHAKE and SHAKE the can properly thats ALL it NEEDS.

And I know the WELL IT WORKS for me brigade will come on here and POO POOH what I have said but I know who is RIGHT and who is WRONG.

Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 21 queries.