Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: SOUND GENERATORS  (Read 7786 times)

jetpipe

• Shipmate
  • Mmmmmm! Fast boats!
SOUND GENERATORS
« on: March 24, 2013, 09:32:41 pm »

HI,

Has anyone had experience of Hunter Systems sound generators? Particularly the multi- cylinder diesel. Are they easy to install and how effective are they?

John.

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
Re: SOUND GENERATORS
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 11:41:23 pm »

Well the installation is easy enough.The correct fitting of the speaker does matter as regards sound. Please read other threads on this. Would i buy one? Well not now. The sound is not real so could be better.Please look at the Mtronics Sound system, as its real sound. Funds permmiting the component shops system is fine, or model solutions. Both real sound but cost a lot more. I have heard all the mentioned systems. Have fun. John.

jetpipe

• Shipmate
  • Mmmmmm! Fast boats!
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2013, 06:32:39 pm »

Thanks for that John, I will look into all your suggestions,

John.

john44

• Full Mayhemer
  • member of the Potteries Model boat club
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2013, 06:48:53 pm »

Have a look on the Technobots web site?

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2013, 07:11:07 pm »

Before you spend your money I would recommend that you take a long look at what ACTion (Component Shop) has to offer, always first class stuff, & that is speaking from a lot of experience, a happy customer too. Mick B.
Mick B.

craggle

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boaty McBoatface
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2013, 07:28:34 pm »

I bought one of those little, all in one units from model sounds after I saw them at the Brighton modelworld show.  http://www.modelsounds.co.uk/

Very impressive sound from such a small unit, it's movable between different models and can play any sound so long as you can buy or find an MP3 file of it. I bought the steam boat sound sound from model sounds with the unit and it sounds pretty good chugging away under the decks. Be even better when my steam Master Unit arrives and I get it chucking out plumes of smoke as well.  :-)

Craig.
Model Slipway Envoy tug built.
Huge Lifeboat under construction.

chris_suffolk

• Full Mayhemer
  • Fun building Resolve tug
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2013, 08:24:33 am »

Hi-jacking the thread, what do people recommend for a Steam sound generator? Needs to feed into the ESC so it varies in speed as the boat moves off and slows down etc. So far as I can see Mtronics don't do steam and the ACTion one requires use of their ESC (which is a bit short sighted in my view)

The model sounds one doesn't appear to be speed sensitive, unless they just don't explain that on their website, and the technobot one sounds like a train not a boat.

Anyone?

Chris

inertia

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2013, 08:59:27 am »

the ACTion one requires use of their ESC (which is a bit short sighted in my view)
Yes, it probably was in 1997, when the P56 was designed, but things have moved on a bit since then (including the website). P64 and P100 will both do the job; the latter far better than the former.
DM

craggle

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boaty McBoatface
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2013, 09:39:38 am »

The Model Sounds one is indeed a stand alone unit, no speed control possible. You just turn it on and it makes a noise.

Craig.
Model Slipway Envoy tug built.
Huge Lifeboat under construction.

chris_suffolk

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2013, 02:39:04 pm »

Thanks for the replies. The P64 looks good for my needs - though it says not suitable for large boats - oh well! It also says I have to have a digital proportional control system with 1.5ms centre stick value - I've got a futaba skysport 4 (40Mhz), will that do the job? Afraid I'm not up to date on radio gear.

Whilst I agree that the P100 looks better, it also requires an additional Amp, and at nearly £90 is more than I wanted to pay - yes I know it's programmable, and can do horns, whistles and seagulls, but that's more than I wanted really

Thnx

Chris

inertia

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2013, 03:04:52 pm »

Thanks for the replies. The P64 looks good for my needs - though it says not suitable for large boats - oh well! It also says I have to have a digital proportional control system with 1.5ms centre stick value - I've got a futaba skysport 4 (40Mhz), will that do the job?
Perfick.
DM

sortebastian

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2013, 06:35:47 pm »

Blutoh

• Shipmate
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2013, 02:48:26 pm »

Thanks for the plug, sortebastion.  :}

chris_suffolk

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2013, 01:35:37 pm »

Has anyone any experience of the Technobot 'Programmable Engine Sound System'?  Looks interesting as it can take dual inputs for dual ESC's, and outputs according to the faster - thus for 'tank' steeriing would stop the stop-start that might be incurred with a single input when an engine is put into reverse, whilst the other is kept going forward. Can also take additional inputs off a spare channel - e.g. horn, which could be good too.

Does anybody know if it does a steam sound as the actual engines it can do are not listed on their site, and how realistic a sound are they, as I've not heard one.

Thanks in advance.

Chris

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2013, 02:56:31 pm »

Instruction book here - should tell you everything you need to know - http://www.technobotsonline.com/programmable-engine-sound-system-mk2.html
At the back end of the manual is a section on building your own sound voice - whether you feel comfortable with this is up to you, but at least you get a chance to read all about it.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

chris_suffolk

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2013, 04:00:14 pm »

Thanks,

Seems it doesn't do steam sound, which is a shame

Chris

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2013, 06:15:23 pm »

John when you look at the over all  cost of the boat or ship we are building we owe it to ourselves to use quality fittings & dare I say it the best sound units too. At present the P100 seems from all the comments on here & elsewhere to be the best,the fact that you can reprogram it exactly as you want it to play. You chose the sounds & the quality. I am speaking from experience here as I own 4 P100's plus the amps of course. After dealing with ACTion for nearly 3 years both the service & advice I got was always first class.Add to all that Dave is always there to help up to now, we all hope it continues in the same way through Component Shop with Iain. Mick B.
Mick B.

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2013, 06:25:01 pm »

May I suggest that you use the largest speaker that you can accomodate in you hull, the sound will be much better. Nemesis

chris_suffolk

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2013, 06:32:51 pm »

Thanks for the replies.

I got an e-mail back from ACTion, where I asked if it would work ok with my ESC's, rather than using ACTion ones.

"We cannot guarantee 100% compatibility with other manufacturers ESC."

I know others swear by ACTion, but for the price I need better than that.

Will see what's around at Coalville, but the technobot basic unit looks like the best bet so far - or push the boat right out and go for the 'Graupner Programmable sound module',which is about £140. - but as you say we owe it to our boats. Just seems like rather a lot. Ho- hum.....

Chris

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2013, 06:45:32 pm »

I guess you should ask Technobot the same compatibility question, I know I would. It would be interesting to hear their reply, let us know what they say, good luck with your search but don't wear your rose tinted glasses, cheap generally means a race to the bottom, a fact we sometimes forget in our rush to buy, Mick B. 
Mick B.

chris_suffolk

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2013, 06:54:40 pm »

I've sent them an e-mail earlier today, but they are closed until 12th Apr for holidays, so not expecting a reply any time soon.

Seems they are designed by a guy at Solent Model boat club, so may try contacting them so see if I can get a reply sooner.

There is a big price difference, £30 versus £90 or £140 (and the last 2 require an amp too), so as I said, may just hang on until I get to CoalVille show in 10 days time. Hopefullu can see and try there, rather than just looking on the net - not sure which traders will have any units, but sure some will.

The Graupner appeals, but £140 is a lot to justify

Chris

Steve Dean

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2013, 07:30:26 pm »

Hi Chris,

Be careful of considering the Graupner unit. The last time I checked the manual was only in German and given the changes at Graupner it is unknown at this point in time as to whether this will be a supported product in the future.

If you are coming to Colville, then come and have a chat with me as I'm the guy who recorded a number of the sounds available for the 'Noisy Thing' P100. Just ask around, someone will tell you where I am. I will be exhibiting my 1/12 scale trawler (with 8 sounds).

Cheers
Steve Dean

chris_suffolk

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2013, 07:44:14 pm »

Thanx Steve, will do.

Seems this is going be quite a hard thing to sort. Not too cheap, not compatible, not supported, ouit of business, no speed control - will keep looking

Chris

chris_suffolk

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2013, 07:45:04 pm »

Oops, tried to edit amd ended up quoting

Can I delete?.

Steve Dean

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2013, 08:10:40 pm »

Chris,

I omitted to let you know that there is no problem in using a P100 with the Mtronics speed controllers. I have several models using this combination (both 20A & 25A versions) and other makes as well. Come and have a chat at the show and I'll give you demo and talk you through everything.

Look forward to meeting you.

Steve

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 22 queries.