Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: SOUND GENERATORS  (Read 7787 times)

chris_suffolk

• Full Mayhemer
  • Fun building Resolve tug
Re: SOUND GENERATORS
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2013, 08:35:45 pm »

Thnx Steve, will do

Chris

Stavros

« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2013, 10:40:51 pm »

And of course you can speak to Inertia at the show on the ACTion/Component shop stand and hear the set up and play

Dave

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2013, 10:56:24 pm »

depends how much you want out of the sound unit really, I have a technobots mp3 sound card, as developed by Alan Bond of the solent club, and as featured on the technobots site.

I use a mini sd sound card with a variety of downloaded sounds, engine, and dialogue, music, etc from the jaws movie, as its in the Orca Jaws boat. Alan is a really clever guy, he made me a commission build way of selecting tracks from my transmitter, using a spare channel via one of the sticks, so many prods, selects a certain track. When I finish my PCF vietnam boat, I will just lift the sound unit out, swop the sd card, and then will have sounds, music etc relevent to that boat.

We did this before that sound unit was available. Its over the top, but something I really wanted, makes sailing the boat good fun, there is always someone who starts singing the jaws theme, and its a nice touch when I can play things from the film at my command, not just on a loop etc. THe unit is really very versatile, as I can put anything on the sd card, and play it at my request, I have stereo mini speakers, and a small amp from a set of pc speakers, hope that helps

inertia

« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2013, 11:08:26 pm »

I got an e-mail back from ACTion, where I asked if it would work ok with my ESC's, rather than using ACTion ones.
"We cannot guarantee 100% compatibility with other manufacturers ESC."
Chris
The "it" to which you are referring is the twelve-year-old product P56. It takes its speed information from the motor poles and so needs a reversing relay to ensure that it operates correctly in reverse. As I have already posted on this thread, P64 and P100 don't do this - their speed info comes from the receiver output and so any ESC should be compatible. If you object to purchasing ACTion speed controllers then that's OK by me - I've always said that purchase is not compulsory, and I've no axe to grind these days anyway.
DM

chris_suffolk

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2013, 03:06:15 pm »

The "it" to which you are referring is the twelve-year-old product P56. It takes its speed information from the motor poles and so needs a reversing relay to ensure that it operates correctly in reverse. As I have already posted on this thread, P64 and P100 don't do this - their speed info comes from the receiver output and so any ESC should be compatible. If you object to purchasing ACTion speed controllers then that's OK by me - I've always said that purchase is not compulsory, and I've no axe to grind these days anyway.
DM

Whilst I don't want to start an arguement, the full e-mail was

"Do you do a steam sound generation module that will work with a non-ACTion ESC – running 12v ."

"Although we have tested our units with many different ESC, we can only say with 100% confidence that it will work with our own.  We cannot guarantee 100% compatibility with other manufacturers ESC."

I never mentioned any specific item, P56 or otherwise, and their reply never stated 'yes except the P56'. Thus the 'it' I refer to is NOT the P56, but the whole range until ACTion tell me otherwise.

Chris

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2013, 04:18:45 pm »

If I was looking for a sound unit the first thing on the checklist would be to listen to it.
Go to the show, listen to each and then decide.
You will be able to listen to different set ups some even in
models.
Remember though the set up you see at the show is the optimum.
(These guys are trying to learn a crust selling the systems theyi
are demonstrating.
 Also remember that sound units are like dodgy paintwork, the sound/runs
fade away in direct proportion of the models distance from the
lakeside.

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

inertia

« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2013, 04:47:06 pm »

The answer you received was poor, but the guy who would have replied to your question has only been dealing with the products for four months and he is not a modeller.
The information you picked up about requiring an ACTion ESC was clearly from the 'P56' page, as it doesn't feature in any other products' descriptions on the website. I suspect mention of it made him focus on that particular unit when he replied.
As I said, P64 and P100 will both produce realistic steam sounds and neither is dependent on using an ACTion speed controller.
Trust me - I used to make them.
DM

chris_suffolk

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2013, 04:50:54 pm »

Thanks for your help DM.

If they are at Coalville I will talk to them, and see what they say

Chris

inertia

« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2013, 04:59:12 pm »

No - come and talk to me; I'm on the same stand. Iain and Natasha will be far too busy selling batteries. That's why I was strong-armed into helping at shows until they get used to their new products.
Dave M

Steve Dean

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2013, 05:08:31 pm »

Hey Chaps,

We're gonna spend so much time at Coalville talking sound units and speed controllers that we'll run out of time to eat Debbies cakes. Maybe I'll have to record the sound of munching and put it in a P100 !

Hello Mr Action (retired), do I take it you are going to grace us with your presence at the show ..... if so I look forward to seeing you.

Steve

inertia

« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2013, 05:28:03 pm »

I shall be there, o great and wise wizard of the sound-waves, attempting to bring model boat electronics to the masses on both days (as ever).
Just look for the tall guy with big hair and the pretty lady selling batteries - I'll be at the other end of the stand from them, doing my Buddha/Jabba the Hutt/Del Boy Trotter impressions. Alternatively follow the sound of twin MAN diesels.
Don't forget we already have sounds of human digestion (!!) on the Noisy Thing, but cake-munching could be added if you think it merits inclusion.
DM
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.175 seconds with 22 queries.