Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: hello  (Read 1055 times)

Jeff Glasser

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
hello
« on: July 21, 2013, 01:49:12 pm »

I'm new on here so still feeling my way around.
I'm hoping to pick some brains as to building a 1/96 working model of the M.V. 'Port Alfred' which was my last ship before coming ashore in 1967 after spending three years at sea as a catering boy and steward.  I've been a modeller since I was a kid but mostly of aircraft, both flying and display types.
I have a set of drawings of the aforementioned ship so any hints on getting the build started would be most welcome.
I live in Somerset near Glastonbury, U.K. and no, I've never been to the Festival!
Jeff

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
Re: hello
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2013, 02:04:17 pm »

glad to see you made it over to the dark side, Jeff......hopefully we'll be able to help, here as there is a wealth of experience.

Firstly could you post some photos of the actual ship if you have some and the plans and then those who build this sort of vessel so successfully ( bryan young for one) could steer you in the right direction as to best way to form the hull to get started.

Neil (nhp651 from ships nostalgia)

Jeff Glasser

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2013, 02:36:27 pm »

Thanks Neil, I believe our paths have crossed before on other sites for the M.N. I have several photos' of the 'Alfred that I can post once I've figured out how to do it. I'll have to photograph the drawings and put them on here.
The attached pic was taken in Melbourne 1967

Jeff

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, 06:22:50 pm »

she looks very similar to one of the Clan Ships "Clan Ross" and a grp hull at 1:96 scale can be bought from "Models By design" see here  for their description of the boat.Clan RossScale: 96th scale
Hull: 61.75 inch
Beam: 8.5 inch
Draft:

MOTOR VESSEL CLAN ROSS.
Clan Line Passenger/Cargo Liner.
Our model of the CLAN ROSS is of a Clan Line passenger/cargo liner built be Greenock Shipbuilding Co, (later Scott Lithgow) at Port Glasgow in 1954. One of a large series of ships, CLAN ROSS traded under Clan Lines colours until 1965 when she was transferred to the Clan & Union Castle Line. She was eventually disposed of to Chinese interests in 1972. Very typical of many ships of her day CLAN ROSS was an attractive and well balanced vessel of the traditional three island design, with graceful lines, lots of cargo handling gear and large distinctively capped funnel. Two later ships Clan MacIndoe and Clan MacIlwrath had the whole superstructure moved right aft giving a totally different outline.
Our beautifully moulded large hull features portholes, hull trimline and waterline detail moulded in to assist builders. Supplied complete with very detailed plans drawn for us by MARBETH DESIGNS, this superb hull is ideal for R/C and can be powered with electric motor or a steam plant, with a hull of such high volume there is room for many extra features can be fitted such as electric lights, engine sound, horn, anchors etc.
CLAN ROSS is an excellent subject for the merchant ship lover, the basic hull is of course perfect for conversion to other Clan Line ships, or even liners and merchant vessels of other lines.

Price: £86.00 plus p&p                                         Accessories
they can be found here....  http://www.modelsbydesign.co.uk/model_boats.aspx

neil.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.16 seconds with 22 queries.