Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: hull painting of my smitt rotterdam please help  (Read 1738 times)

paul gutteridge

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
hull painting of my smitt rotterdam please help
« on: March 26, 2013, 02:06:14 pm »

hi i have built a smitt rotterdam tug nearly completion ?
i have a question regarding the paint which is on now the boat since starting this project around 15 years plus years ago its been my loft out loft in garage out garage,
but in the 1990s i only used primer and humbrol paint to spray the hull now sealed with matt varnish.

looking in other forums people are saying to use epoxy resin on hull but ive only used hubrol paints can anyone please tell me if this ok or advise on what to do plz.

thanks paul

Stavros

Re: hull painting of my smitt rotterdam please help
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 09:59:34 pm »

Right then first question

Is the hull wood/palstic/grp

if wood then you could either rub all the paint off or strip with stripper and start again,if plastic or grp then simply rub it all off.

There is a lot on here that advoce that you should use epoxy over wood,but as long as the paintwork is good then I can see no problem at all,....After all said and done wooden boats arnt epoxyed only painted.

Dave

chris_suffolk

• Full Mayhemer
  • Fun building Resolve tug
Re: hull painting of my smitt rotterdam please help
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 03:32:05 pm »

Boat I've just finished has a similar tale - primed with red oxide car spary 15 years ago, then sat in the spare room. Have resprayed additional coats of red oxide (after lightly sanding with 1200 grir wet and dry), then an outdoor satin varnish (couldn't find an outdoor matt one anywhere (not by a reputable maker anyway)). All seems to be ok now that the varnish has hardened fully, which took about a month

Yet to try it on the water, but the paint experts at college don't seem to think I will have any problems with the 15 year gap between coats,so long as there was a good key - hence the sanding, which is good practice anyway.

Chris
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 21 queries.