Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I'll be there...  (Read 1741 times)

PW569

• Full Mayhemer
  • magnificus in minisculum
I'll be there...
« on: March 26, 2013, 10:53:39 pm »

Hey Mayhammers!

It looks like I'll be in London on biz 7.-9. May, and woner if there might be anything on Model Boating wise 9.-12. May In the London area worthwhile attending / looking at!?

Cheers!

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
Re: I'll be there...
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 11:20:51 pm »

what type of boating are you normally interested in ? will you have your own transport while in london , or are you using public transport ?  jon

PW569

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 11:43:03 pm »

Dear Jon,

I might say I am flexible as can be, albeit relying on Public Transpot (including trains if not on strike!).

Trying to figure out going home Friday or staying the weekend, Basically, interested ANYTHING maritime, with a distaste of speed boats and pure leisure crafts. So, REAL ships would be cool also! Main interest is Merchant Navy, all periods, and the military!

A decent Pub  with a maritime background would do also! I usually spend the end of the day being there sitting on the promenade on the southbank having a pint staring at the HMS BELFAST or visiting the MN Memorial at Trinity House.

But a scale model "shipping"event would be cool!

Cheers!

ardarossan

• Full Mayhemer
Re: I'll be there... 'Boat'-themed London attractions
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 03:40:10 am »

The Royal Museums, Greenwich - http://www.rmg.co.uk/visit/

National Maritime Museum
Discover 500 years of Britain's encounter with the world at sea.
Explore our collection and enjoy free wifi in the Compass Lounge. See the uniform Nelson wore at the Battle of Trafalgar, steer a ship into port and fire a cannon in our Maritime galleries.
National Maritime Museum, Park Row, Greenwich SE10 9NF. Tel: +44 (0)20 8858 4422.

The Queen's House
The 17th-century Queen’s House represents a turning point in English architecture. It was originally the home of Charles I's queen, Henrietta Maria. It now showcases the Museum's outstanding fine-art collection.

Royal Observatory Greenwich
The home of Greenwich Mean Time and the Prime Meridian of the World. It is also home to London's only planetarium, the Harrison timekeepers and the UK's largest refracting telescope.
Royal Observatory Greenwich, Blackheath Ave, SE10 8XJ. +44 (0)20 8858 4422.

Cutty Sark
The last surviving tea clipper and the fastest and greatest of her time. Venture aboard and beneath one of the world’s most famous ships; walk along the decks in the footsteps of the merchant seamen who sailed her over a century ago, then marvel as you balance a 963-tonne national treasure on just one hand.
Opening hours: Mon–Sun 10.00–17.00, last admission 16.00.
Easter opening: From 29 March–9 April and also 11 April, the ship will be open 10.00–18.00, last admission 17.00.
Cutty Sark Clipper Ship, King William Walk, Greenwich SE10 9HT

How much wood would a Woodchuck chuck, if a Woodchuck would chuck wood?

baloo

• Full Mayhemer
  • I`M YOUR FRIENDLY TRUCKER
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 06:35:58 pm »

After you have done what adross has suggested, you can take a nice trip on a boat up the thames.baloo

PW569

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 06:55:34 pm »

Dear All,

I am in Ldn once / twice a Year and usually take the river boats from London Bridge to Greenwich to see the CS and the Museum etc. and spend some time in Greenwich.

So, that I have done many times. I was rather thinking about a Model Boat event by chance being on around the same time while I am there...

I would love to have a look into the archives, but unfortunately they are closed over the weekend...

Thanks!

Guy Bagley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2013, 10:10:20 pm »

it may sound odd but there are some fine nautical / maritime models in RAF Hendon museum,- its free to get in and accessible via public transport.... there 's also a few old flying  boats and things to look at too !
all in all its just another brick in the wall......

PW569

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2013, 10:19:26 pm »

Hendon! What a great Place!

Thanks Guy!

Been there many times! (and Duxford!)

Maybe I should try Trinity House! I remember they do have a collection, but it was always closed when I was there...
Or HMS Belfast! 1982 was the last time I was on board! Back then the south bank was nearly in the same state as hours after the Blitz!
Somehow the new visitors centre / toy shop at the entrance puts me off! In 82 it was like going on board a Navy ship just lying there!

Any Model shops you could recommend?

Is there a Pond where one would usually would find boat modellers in greater London on a Sat / Sun?

Jonty

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2013, 11:54:34 am »

Is the Round Pond still popular on Sundays?
I eat my peas with honey,
I've done it all my life;
It makes the peas taste funny,
But it keeps 'em on the knife.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 22 queries.