Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Type of plastic.  (Read 1593 times)

Davenotdone

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is Great!
Type of plastic.
« on: March 29, 2013, 03:55:51 pm »

Hope you guys can help me. I am converting a cheap ' Police ' style boat ( the type that have pod motors in them ) and i am having problems gluing anything to the hull. Hard to describe but the hull is 24 inches in length,  V shaped, self  coulerd and quite flexible. It's not hard but a similar sort of feel like a car bumper. Every time i glue i allways rough the area up and clean it. I have used Super Glue ( not a cheap brand ) and it seems to just hold but the plastic is soft and the glue is brittle, reasonable results but not brilliant. Tried JB Weld ( mix the two parts together) but allso not brilliant results. I fillled the underside of the hull with car body filler to get rid of the pod motor indentations and that seems to have stuck very well. I have allso converted a dickie tug and can say that the plastic on that model is harder that this one. Any advice would be more than welcome. Regards, Dave.

kmmbcwebmaster

• Full Mayhemer
    • Kingsmill MBC
Re: Type of plastic.
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 04:41:14 pm »

I've always found p40 fibreclass filler the best for the job but before applying use some cyan glue to tack bits in place also place some around the joint then add the p40 around the joint on top of the cyan this gives a slight chemical reaction giving of some heat which then sets like concrete after a few minutes
just tugging along
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 21 queries.