Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bronco Type XXIII coastal submarine  (Read 4976 times)

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
Bronco Type XXIII coastal submarine
« on: March 29, 2013, 07:38:47 pm »

I know that some of you are interested in this model especially to convert it to RC, so here is what arrived on my door step yesterday!

The box is not huge but adequate for the size of the model and how the moulds have been made. The art work is very nice and inside the box there is a copy of the box art for you to frame if you so wish. The instruction sheet is clear and precise as you come to expect from this manufacturer if you build their other 1/35 scale kits which are AFV orientated.

Sorry, but I didn't take any pictures of the moulds on the sprues when I opened the box I was overly excited and got carried away- this is what you end up with!!! It is almost 1 metre long and the conning tower moulds are amazing!

The hull is in 4 parts, split into quarters that slide into each other, unfortunately the down side is the lack of the normal locating lugs that you would find in traditional plastic kits. Once taped together however the structure seems to hold itself very well.

The fine details on the hull are amazing, with the inlets and grills very finely re-created and weld lines everywhere!

The kit comes with an etched brass sheet for the name plate and a few other items to create that more refined look.
The propeller is plastic as you would expect and but could easily be replaced with a brass example if so wished.
The clear parts are good too for the conning tower viewing ports.

The best part of the kit if you want to make it static is the inclusion of the torpedoes and tubes in the bows. The kit comes with two torpedoes and look very nice on the sprues.

The oddest inclusion is the life raft/carley float which whilst is nice item seems a bit superfluous as if you built it where would you put it unless you build a diorama.

The interior of the hull is very empty so unless you wish to include the torpedo tube, it would not take much to convert it to RC by the usual 'plastic magic' method replacing the prop with a brass version and fitting a prop shaft and motor. You would have to of course ensure you sealed the hull and probably fit a watertight tube to put your motor, Rx, servo, and battery unless you fit a plastic sheet behind each grill and inlet! The biggest problem would be access- how would you get inside it without cutting the hull? The hull comes apart naturally at the half way point but holding it together appears to be the big problem that I can see at the moment- any ideas anyone??? :-))

Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
Re: Bronco Type XXIII coastal submarine
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 08:07:14 pm »

Good thread here on converting the Type XXIII. Magnets offer one solution.

http://forum.sub-driver.com/showthread.php?2305-Converting-the-Bronco-type-XXIII-to-RC

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 08:20:54 pm »

Thanks subculture

That's given me a lot to work with and plenty of ideas, especially the torpedo tubes!
Can't believe how quick someone has sorted out a possible rc conversion.
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

TugCowboy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 08:59:22 pm »

Thanks for posting this, food for thought. I rather fancy converting one of these little beauties.
Alex
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 21 queries.