Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Billing Banckert Build  (Read 14612 times)

thething84

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Billing Banckert Build
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2013, 11:02:13 pm »

depends how soft ya copper is before your start really. If you are unsure and can aneal them then do it.

I haven't got very far. Have to keep changing the interier to fit things. I am def gonna put some thin planking on the deck i think. Most things i am going to have to make from scratch seeing as mine was a part built kit. I am remaking the superstructure and thinking bout doing it out of styrene.

James.

If it ain't broke! Fix it anyway!

AlisterL

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2013, 12:13:49 am »

James, I think it's a good idea to redo the SS in plasticard/styrene. I had a look at my SS and because some of that ply is 2mm thick it looks out of scale (IMHO) when looking through the windows and so on. So if you used thinner styrene than 2mm, then I think it would look better in those areas. And you wont have to worry about filling the grain and finishing should be easier.
Alister

AlisterL

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2013, 12:29:18 am »

OK - more progress.

The first two from a couple of weeks ago now.

First up, bollards taking shape from supplied dowel and also some I had lying around:

The eagle-eyed may notice in the group of 4 bollards at the top of the pic that two appear to have part of the bollard carved away. Well spotted - this is because the rail as supplied and fitted by me does not allow the bollard to be fitted vertically fore/aft and port/starboard without this modification. The other two are also shaped similarly. The short bollard in the bottom group goes on the bow. Not seen in this pic are the two bollards that sit outside of the main winch drums at the rear of the superstructure. Interestingly the supplied dowel in the kit is about 5mm diameter, but for the two bollards mentioned above the holes in the ply parts provided was just under 7 mm - which left a large gap to be filled. Because I had some 8mm pine dowel from other projects I cut some off, stuck it in my drill mounted in a drill press and attacked it with some 80 grit sandpaper. And promptly took them down to 6 mm :) I repeated the process with 220 grade paper and got it about right.

Also, I had to fix an area that I was trying to ignore where I'd stuffed up glueing some wood on to the hull and left a mess:

Out with the filler to fix that and then a repaint.

This weekend the bollards have had some paint, which, to be honest is a little rough, but to my mind isn't entirely a bad thing:

This also shows the ladder rungs getting some paint and the door handles too, plus some deck hatches.

I repainted the top edge around the deck also:

And finally tidied up the paint on the main mast. So I think the mast painting is done:

Alister

AlisterL

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2013, 03:58:37 am »

After the last post I was pondering what to do and in a fit of enthusiasm decided to anneal the copper tube supplied in the kit that make up the water pipes for the fire monitors.

After a lot of bending and mucking about, I ended up with this:

Next was detaching the plastic components of the fire monitors and glueing together:

The pipes have a little bit of filler drying in a couple of places where they pinched a bit and after a bit of fettling will be painted white.
But not before I make the supports for them (mental note about that...).
Alister

AlisterL

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2013, 02:45:01 am »

Well the mental note failed :) I painted the pipes without thinking about it. But I don't think it's the end of the world.

Yesterday the pipes got etch-primed and then top coats.

I also mucked about with some paint in other places. Nothing significant to note, so no photos of that.

Additionally I was keen to put the rungs in place to get to the upper level of the superstructure:

They're almost even!

Today I set about putting the bollards in place:

They look a little manky to be honest, but my excuse is that's not a bad thing.

Another part that was demanding attention was the frame around the radar shelf (for want of a better term). SO some brass rod was cut and bent:

And test fitted, which showed a problem somewhere in the process. The brass frame matches the plan but doesn't fit the model... Probably an issue with measurements, but I did bend the wire directly on the plan, so maybe not. Anyway, I did some measuring and bent another one:

By this time I'd also drilled the matching holes in the mast and everything was fitting square, so the bits got soldered together:

And tidied up a bit with jewellers files. With the aid of yet another hole, the frame was test-fitted to the mast:

And seems to look the part, so off to painting for that.

Alister

AlisterL

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2013, 01:57:38 am »

Well its' been quite a while and there haven't been any updates because there hasn't been much going on with the boat - plenty going on elsewhere however.

But anyway, last weekend I added some bits onto the main mast - against my better judgement I must admit, as these are all bits that can break off and I still need to finish some areas that require upending the structure. I guess I'll have to be careful, which isn't something I'm known for...

Somehow the picture got turned around.

I also put together the base of the anchor winch (windlass? I have terrible knowledge of nautical terminology!) and left it on the bench for the week. Well this morning when I was doing washing I found it about 6 metres from the bench and in 3 pieces - the same number it started with, but in much worse condition. I blame our kitten who, having gained access to the garage obviously found my work to be rather enticing. I've had words with the little beggar - but he may not have listened...

So we'll see what happens over the rest of the weekend, but I'm told the Cubs are planting trees on Sunday morning and I got looked at, if you know what I mean, when I said "have fun" to SWMBO. <sigh>
Alister

AlisterL

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2013, 05:58:12 am »

A 2nd update in one day!

One of the things - and there are several - that have been bugging me is the wheelhouse and all those big windows with nothing to see inside except the supplied wheel at the helm. A bit boring perhaps.

Having a non-existent nautical background knowing what to put in the wheelhouse is a bit of a guess. But I've done a bit of Googling and have a few ideas.

Firstly (and to take up lots of space) are some benches/cabinets/drawer type things, 1 each on the port, starboard and aft walls.

Made out of .020" styrene, they're a little thin, but the only other option was .010" or .040", so I thought what the heck...

Shapes cut out:

Starting the starboard side:

Starboard and Aft:

All three:

I've left a little lip on the outer edge of each fitting, so as to ensure that anything on top wouldn't roll or slide off. Hopefully I will be able to create the impression of drawers and cabinets in them some how too.
I'll see how they look inside tomorrow maybe.

Alister

thething84

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2014, 09:21:22 pm »

Hey alistair. Your got any further. Have to admit mines been tucked away till I did a very small bit today. Cant do much with 2yr old running around. I am now going to make a complete deck and superstructure. My deck has to many holes in it.

AlisterL

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2014, 08:50:39 pm »

Not enough to report - I've been doing other things. I get to this point in the build when things start getting fiddly and I slow down. Then I got frustrated after spotting a major (well I think so) mistake that will be very difficult to correct without major surgery. I'll get back to it at some point, just haven't gotten motivated yet.
Alister

thething84

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2014, 01:39:20 pm »

I know that feeling. I do it in waves. Get into doing it for a while then go off of it. But started doing mine again. What required major surgery then???

AlisterL

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2014, 08:13:16 pm »

The main mast isn't at a right-angle to the upper superstructure :o  I spent ages lining it up and so on, used CA to tack it in place so I could check it before pouring PVA all over the joint and still managed to  :-X  it up.  :embarrassed:

It still requires the surgery - I may not do it due to the damage that will be inflicted trying to separate the parts. To be honest, it's really put me off.
My theory is that I inherited all the desire for perfection from my grandfather, but none of his ability to achieve it :)
Alister

thething84

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2014, 05:23:04 am »

Ahh so you basically stuck the mast to the superstructure then. I just started the other night glueing new superstructure together. Only to get p****d of with the styrene sheet taking forever to glue using plastic weld. So now waiting for my CA glue to arrive as last lot dried up. Also ordered some Magnetic clamps of ebay. Should make life alot easier.

Don't be too disheartened. Get back into it and you will enjoy it again

AlisterL

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2014, 07:55:22 pm »

Oh I'll get back to it at some point, not worried about that.
We bought a Land Rover Discovery so I've been spending a lot of time on that lately - when that is sorted I might find some inspiration.
Alister

thething84

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2014, 10:32:13 pm »

LOL. Sounds like me. Do a bit on one project till i loose interest then move on to another and so forth. I got many projects not quite finished.

AlisterL

• Full Mayhemer
Billing Bankert Build - Progress!
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2015, 06:11:08 am »

A happy New Year to all.

I knew it would just be a matter of time before I got interested again and it's happened.

At some point, I think in October, I started doing some work on the windows in the super structure. Using some left over clear plastic from packaging from kids toys. I didn't finish it, as I started to get annoyed with it a bit.

In November I was inspired to do the ballasting, something I had look at a bit earlier, but this was effectively made complete and all the lead shot was sealed into place, albeit with fibreglass reinforced tape.

A few weeks before work finished for Xmas holidays I started doing some more and finished that off.
That also lead me to realise that there wasn't actually that much left to do.

So the windlass for the anchor got finished and put in place:

Painting of the port and starboard running lights was required and completed without too much incident. I did need to make use of a sharp knife to tidy up around the edges where the colour had bled under the Tamiya masking tape. I also discovered that the red paint I was using (Tamiya Acrylic) needs a few coats before it gets totally opaque:

There was also much fitting of railings and other bits and pieces:

One of my considerations was transport and with my previous models I have built boxes to transport them. The height of the mast and the aerials etc. on top of that was going to be too tall for a box of the normal height I use, so it was a question of how to make things fit.
The solutions was to make the flying bridge and mast assembly detachable from the model - but then it must be able to be secured to the model well enough that it would not fall off in wind or rough seas. (Seas? You know what I mean...).
My solution, after much thinking, was to make use of some 4mm gold connectors as plugs and sockets:

And this works very well - except for a pair of rigging wires that needed to be made detachable too - well, they slip on and off as needed and provide a little more security to the solution.

More later...

Alister

AlisterL

• Full Mayhemer
Billing Banckert Build
« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2015, 06:14:08 am »

Bits and bobs being put on the mast:

This image shows, not very well, the first of the brass rods in place for the rigging - actually - maybe that should be aerials...
Yes this is on the wrong side to that specified to the plan, but the port side had a fixture there and the starboard didn't. The wires was soldered to the brass rod - CA was taking to long to go off as I was trying to hold the wire in place:

After adding some more fixtures in, putting on some transfers (which it seems are water activated, so take the off the backing paper first), coiling up some rope, etc. we get this:

You will note that there are no steps in place at all. I didn't like the look of the ones supplied and there was not enough of them - length - to actually complete the job. Whether or not I will "fix" this or not, I'm not yet sure...

So some on the water shots (in the external domestic test tank - the kids think its for something else!):

Alister

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2015, 07:50:29 am »

I am following your build with great interest, having tried building this ship myself well over 30 years ago.  Unfortunately at the young age of my kids then the temptation to "play" with it resulted in too much repeated serial damage for me ever to complete it.  Does bring back a lot of good memories though  :}
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

AlisterL

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Billing Banckert Build - Video
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2015, 01:09:41 am »

For those interested, the first competition run with the Banckert was on Sunday:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/JWjaNLk4Lm0
Alister

Peter_s

• Full Mayhemer
  • uh oh here we go
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2015, 05:55:07 pm »

Hey alister,
 She looks great on the water! :-)) Hope mine looks that good when Im finished!

pete
Now where did I put that?
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 22 queries.