Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: What is it?  (Read 6334 times)

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
Re: What is it?
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2013, 07:49:36 pm »

It's relay switching device that gives an output as long as the stick is operated far enough (i.e. non-latching, there are not enough components to have it be anything else).  The lack of anti back emf diodes is not a worry since it appears that that job is being done by the pair of electrolytic capacitors which will also serve to smooth the pulsed output of the chip when operating the relays. 
Power to operate the relay coils from the RX lead, as has been said, the copper side of the PCB has the 2 sets of contacts labelled to make wiring easier.  The relays do say they are 6 volt coils, but there are such things as tolerances, and they will probably be quite happy with down to 4.5v.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2013, 08:27:29 pm »

a lot of coils are fine down to quite a low voltage, as part of my job I used to test protection relays in power stations, part of that was the voltage to activate and the voltage when the relay drops out again. while some would need 2-3v to pick up, the drop out voltage was usually around 0.5v, as long as they would operate at the required voltages they were passed, out of thousands of relays tested I only ever found a couple that the coils had failed, the rest of these relays, some over 60 years  old were still fine.
Grendel

Stavros

« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2013, 10:17:54 pm »

O, yeah - missed that bit!

Mind you, I've just spent half an hour looking for 100 x LEDs which I was convinced I'd thrown away by mistake, only to find them sitting in a drawer of a storage cabinet which I'd labelled up and where I'd put them only on Thursday............... What???  :o

Why is it I can remember stuff from 40 years ago and yet I forget things I did this week?

DM (pronounced "dumb")

Nah it's called OLD AGE my friend  {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)

Dave

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2013, 05:46:22 am »

It just might be the case that what you did 40 years ago was much more fun & probably illegal too. Just saying. Mick B.
Mick B.

More Coffee

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2013, 06:37:44 am »

No..It was fun ... illegal by todays standard... {-) :-))

wibplus

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2013, 07:58:49 pm »

.............and there was me thinking it was a global whippentanger that fits on top of the rotational galoopifier.  {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 22 queries.