Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: caldercraft clyde puffer  (Read 45277 times)

DarrenCarter2

• Inactive
  • Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: caldercraft clyde puffer
« Reply #100 on: August 01, 2014, 04:19:47 pm »

Ok so after a weeks worth of work on the puffer I have got quite far on she's still no where near finished I put to of the side bumpers on just to take some pics of her very happy with her so far wanted to do some more work on her over the weekend but unfortunately I have to spend time with the wife lol

I'm planning on having her done by the end of August in one of the pictures u will see i placed all the batteries and the speaker motor just to test the weight of her :)

ian-mccaffrey

• Full Mayhemer
  • roll on mayhem at wicksteed 2016 !
« Reply #101 on: August 01, 2014, 07:34:27 pm »

mate i have followed this build from the day you bought the kit ! . i must say that you have done a phenomenal job on this puffer !

what you need to do is buy the wife a cookery book and send her in the kitchen and then you can carry on building !  haha . please dont tell her i said that  <*<

lets just hope this one floats !!
fire at will ! ... which one is will ?

DarrenCarter2

• Inactive
  • Shipmate
« Reply #102 on: August 01, 2014, 09:33:03 pm »

Cheers Ian to think only a month ago I just couldn't get back in to the project and was asking u how much u think it would be worth as a unfinished project lol

I told the wife but she laughed and gave me that look that means shut up I will obey lol

DarrenCarter2

• Inactive
  • Shipmate
« Reply #103 on: August 03, 2014, 08:24:34 pm »

Ok so I managed to get rid of the wife for a while today funny how it works when u offer them money to go shopping with to buy them self something nice lol,

So I done more of the rigging and I think I have 99% of it done now on the rigging hopefully I say as it takes ages and fiddley lol

I made some custom parts today as well for the bucket and boom and the part on the anchor basically the kit supplies u with more of the hand rail stantions than u need so I converted to u will see this in the picture probably more clearer in the anchor one I'm glad to have got some more done today a friend of mine who is a professional photographer has said he's coming to swindon for 1 week only in October and if I can get her done by then he will take photos of her on a lake or pool some where :)

In other news as well I have now purchased my first really decent air brush and compressor a harder and steenbeck infinity 2 in 1 very happy looking forward to getting it so I can progress my painting  and learn new technics :)   

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #104 on: August 04, 2014, 10:25:57 am »

I'm following this with interest.  :-))

Your details are something to be proud of.  Send the Missis out more often.    {-)

Cheers

Ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

DarrenCarter2

• Inactive
  • Shipmate
« Reply #105 on: August 13, 2014, 01:46:10 pm »

Thanks tug kenny have done some more bit all over the place at the moment lost my grandmother and grandfather within the past month and it was the funeral yesterday bit all over place but have done some more

More work done on the puffer all the rigging is now sorted and set some of it isn't fitted in place some does need ageing still, the bucket I had to remove from the hatch didn't think it through about removing the hatch to get the batteries out and service it Etc so I fitted pin so it can be held in place chains round back are fitted still need painting rear rudder still needs some more silver solider on it still quite a bit to do hopefully I can get back in the mood to work on it not really in the right head space to do it at mo

DarrenCarter2

• Inactive
  • Shipmate
« Reply #106 on: August 15, 2014, 10:38:54 am »

So I have been thinking about the puffer and how I can keep it clean safe and away from hand that shouldn't touch it so I been talking to my father inlaw about building a box out of plywood that I can keep her safe and yesterday we started and built this it needs some paint on it I want to put some foam on the sides and I need to make a stand for lady bute to sit on and then stick it down in there but very happy hope u guys like

DarrenCarter2

• Inactive
  • Shipmate
« Reply #107 on: September 28, 2014, 10:51:09 am »

Hi guys sorry for the delay a lot has been happening me and the wife have just got our first place so haven't been doing much but I decided to crack on with the boat box so I could place lady bute in it ready for the move so she doesn't get damaged in transit I have drew the name and a picture of a puffer on the box and stained it I will detail this with my airbrush and then do a couple of coats of vanish over the box hope u like

DarrenCarter2

• Inactive
  • Shipmate
« Reply #108 on: September 29, 2014, 09:12:24 pm »

Hi guys just wondered what peoples opinions are on my puffer so far still work to be done but just wondered wat u all thought

ian-mccaffrey

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #109 on: September 30, 2014, 04:42:45 am »

Hi guys just wondered what peoples opinions are on my puffer so far still work to be done but just wondered wat u all thought
To be fair mate. I have followed this build from the start. And your doing a great job with fantastic attention to detail :-)

Antipodean

• Full Mayhemer
  • Madness that floats
« Reply #110 on: September 30, 2014, 05:02:16 am »

Been following it and been impressed, great attention to detail.
What do you mean 1:1 is not a model?

DarrenCarter2

• Inactive
  • Shipmate
« Reply #111 on: April 20, 2015, 10:22:27 am »

Hi guys sorry little update for some reason i couldnt get in to my account so i had to set up another one. Well after moving house finding out we are having a baby im finely back on working on lady bute trying to get her finished for mayhem she needs to be on the water this year still have a lot left to do but hopefully will be posting regular posts now hope u like the pictures

Corposant

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #112 on: April 20, 2015, 10:57:11 am »

Hi Darren

Great to hear from you again and hearty congratulations on the news about your baby! (Or should I say babies!  :-) ) Lady Bute continues to impress.  O0

I too was hoping to get my puffer "sailable" for Wicksteed - but that now seems unlikely. She's still a long long way from being finished!

Keep up the good work!

Mike

ian-mccaffrey

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #113 on: April 20, 2015, 11:58:27 am »

Less than 5 weeks mate

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #114 on: April 20, 2015, 03:59:47 pm »

Congrats, you can not beat full size modelling as long as you realise it gets dearer as the years progress, are you going to run the puffer with the hatch covers open showing to cargo? because with a load like that it would be down the the gunwales in real life. That means your model should down over the waterline to look right. Kind regards, Nemesis

DarrenCarter2

• Inactive
  • Shipmate
« Reply #115 on: April 21, 2015, 07:13:32 am »

Hi guys thank u i have week of work in may so im hoping to get lot done then.
Nemis i am running two lead acid 6v battries a speaker sound unit a decaperm motor a seprate 5000mah battery to just run the motor an lights and a foggy unit to pruduce steam if all that doesnt make her sit low id be shocked

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #116 on: April 21, 2015, 10:37:15 am »

It was very common for puffers to sail well overloaded. I`ve seen them with the scuppers awash AND the hatch uncovered, calm days only of course.
..well can you land on this?

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #117 on: April 21, 2015, 10:41:51 am »

Vintage picture of Texa on the River Clyde.

DarrenCarter2

• Inactive
  • Shipmate
« Reply #118 on: April 22, 2015, 01:37:52 pm »

Hi arrow thank you for the image it is nice to see old pictures of them working etc. I done a lot of research when starting my lady bute build and the name came from one that used to work out of glassgow that carried coal etc i read a lot so i would be true with the build if that makes sense like the crew they normal ran with a crew of 6. One captain a mecanic/deck hand crew boy/girl and 3 other deckhands and a pet dog/cat. Im in the process of trying to work out where to attach a scottish flag im un sure either to have it on the rigging some where on a pole on cabins roof or behind the cabin i really need to decide where and het my backside into gear as mayhem is getting closer and shes still not finished

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #119 on: April 22, 2015, 02:05:37 pm »

Red Ensign on the stern area of course, careful with the Lion Rampant, it is restricted and Saltire confused with signal flag.  I`d go with Saltire on halyard on main mast, just make sure it isn't "squarish".  Nice work on the details. BTW they were not very clean boats, a wee bit stoory here`n there :-))

DarrenCarter2

• Inactive
  • Shipmate
« Reply #120 on: April 22, 2015, 08:53:18 pm »

Thanks arrow i staind saltrie flag before leaving for work in tea i will fit it up in the morning on the rigging on the main mast i dont want it to appear to new and effect the over all look of the boat

DarrenCarter2

• Inactive
  • Shipmate
« Reply #121 on: April 23, 2015, 07:33:50 am »

Ok so been playing with the flag for while and i think it looks very good where it is its much better after i stained it as well because it looked way too bright and clean before hope u guys like i still have loads to do but shes getting there ☺

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #122 on: April 23, 2015, 06:54:48 pm »

Hi Darren, wonderful detail work on the puffer sir.  She looks real!  Curious if you will have her riding low on her lines with the coal load she will be carrying?  The vintage photo you posted shows her riding low and I guess that is the way they did.

Regards,

Dennis

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #123 on: April 24, 2015, 12:34:54 am »

Excellent weathering Darren...she looks real :-))......it would be interesting to understand the vessels displacement ready for sailing at her assumed draft as seen here

A few question for arrow5.................

1. that old image depicts the cargo as a light coloured material [underneath the 'clam shell' type grab] & certainly not coal

It is questionable that a cargo of coal would bring her waterline down as shown......so what I am asking is what heavy material [with a lightish colour] could he have been carrying?...iron ore or a manganese ore perhaps.......but the colour isn't correct .........

2. the design of these grabs is such that the cargo material spills to an equilateral triangular prism shape. The size of the grab suggests that it could hold say 3' x 3' x 5' or approx. 22 cubic foot of material..............so irrespective of the cargo material, combined with the weight of the grab itself would have made unloading task a daunting process even with the steam windlass.....as you had at least 4 wires to contend with.....the lift wire [multiple falls] off the main drum , the two slew wires assumed off the side drums?...not sure where the trip wire would have been stationed or secured     >>:-(........

I do understand that this is totally different as Darren's model has a hand shovelled/filled coal bucket........Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #124 on: April 24, 2015, 08:51:30 am »

Sorry Derek , I cant help. I wasn't too interested in ships when did my courting of a Troon lass.  I saw a whole lot of puffers being demolished in the Troon Shipbreakers as well as naval ships, the odd submarine and cargo ships. I lived in the town of Ayr a short bus ride south where that harbour was a coal loading port for the Ayrshire coalfields. The occasional puffer but mostly fishing boats used this harbour at the mouth of the River Ayr. A few Puffers still operated in the 50s and 60s.  At a guess I think that Texa has been doing a bit of dredging on the Forth and Clyde canal and may be heading downstream on the River Clyde to dispose of the light coloured material , drying mud/silt ?   I`m sure there are ex seamen on Mayhem that can explain the workings of the grab.  I recall a working model dredger with such a system, cant think of the builder.  Try www.clydemaritime.co.uk/forum  see also  themackenzies.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/puffers   BTW I did marry the lassie from Troon in 1958 and she is making my toast this morning as I type.   
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.126 seconds with 21 queries.