Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: caldercraft clyde puffer  (Read 45279 times)

cjcj121

• Full Mayhemer
  • If at first you dont succeed , get a bigger hammer
Re: caldercraft clyde puffer
« Reply #50 on: July 31, 2013, 01:14:21 am »

You have weathering skills i can only dream of . I assume you are using oil paints there ?

Keep up the good work , looks fantastic .

ir3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #51 on: July 31, 2013, 06:47:36 am »

Hi Darren,

When you are in Los Angeles, California could you please stop by and weather the Envoy that I am currently building. {-) {-) {-) Your weathering is fantastic. Keep up the great work. :-)) :-)) :-))

Cheers,

Iran Ausley

DarrenCarter2

• Inactive
  • Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #52 on: July 31, 2013, 11:18:16 am »

Thank u guys its getting there slowly I'm in the middle of looking for a new job moving house hopefully soon and getting married in three weeks so everything's all over the place lol

This is actually the first boat of mine I have ever weathered really my last build a plank on frame trawler I didn't weather, I brought a book called the art of weathering its mainly a model railway book and there's not many pictures in it but it does explain some good technics :)

Cjcj121. I don't use humbrol paints this is always a sore subject with my dad as he doesn't see the point in weathering or what types of paint to use lol and only uses humbrol paints I undercoat everything with Grey undercoat from halfords but the paints I use are games workshop citadel paints and Tamiya Acrylic paints I am very picky about how paint goes on I find humbrol paint goes on too thick and u can't get it smooth enough with out a lot of work after things are completely painted I go over them with spray can purity sealer but Matt type just to stop any paint chips :) hope this helps

Ir3 I would love to come to the states that's one of places I would love to go in my life America but its just expensive to get there :(

DarrenCarter2

• Inactive
  • Shipmate
« Reply #53 on: August 02, 2013, 12:35:40 pm »

So I have spent quite bit of time working on the puffer this week I have now finished the hatch cover and the cabin is finished I'm just waiting for one little extra part I have ordered to go with it all the rigging on the cabin is complete, got quite a bit of work still to do on the hull but she's slowly getting there I'm happy with how she's coming together :) here's a pic of my trawler I completed before starting puffer my first plank on frame boat

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #54 on: August 02, 2013, 02:00:59 pm »

Cracking work, DC...love it.
Rich

K-157 Vepr. Akula-II (project 971U)
---------------------------------------------------------------

~~~~~~~  "Motorflotes need love too...."  ~~~~~~~

MotorFlote build log : http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,15222.0.html

DarrenCarter2

• Inactive
  • Shipmate
« Reply #55 on: February 03, 2014, 11:39:11 pm »

Ok so I haven't updated this for ages loads work has been done now one the hull and cabin and other parts still no where near finished but she's getting there finally lol hope u like the pictures

DarrenCarter2

• Inactive
  • Shipmate
« Reply #56 on: February 03, 2014, 11:47:25 pm »

And some more pics

DarrenCarter2

• Inactive
  • Shipmate
« Reply #57 on: February 03, 2014, 11:49:10 pm »

And some more pics

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: February 04, 2014, 08:12:35 am »

Excellent. You have got the mucky look of the real thing.   I see the crew are borrowing some coal.  The bike was an essential item aboard for the boy to go for the "messages".   Most puffer models are "pented-up like a yat", well done Darren for avoiding that trap.
..well can you land on this?

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #59 on: February 04, 2014, 11:33:55 am »

Had to get to the end and felt exactly the same sentiments Arrow, an absolute credit to your skill Darren, if you're not careful, you could be following the path to the "Dark Side" like Eddiesolo.

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

DarrenCarter2

• Inactive
  • Shipmate
« Reply #60 on: February 09, 2014, 10:59:41 pm »

Thanks guys she's getting there slowly doesn't help that I'm a right picky so and so lol,
Still got loads to do at the moment and it's trying to get the time to be honest, I live in faringdon now with my wife but we are currently living with the inlaws due to saving to get our own place, all my modeling stuff is at my dads house as I don't like doing any off it here, my dads from swindon so it's about 24 mile round trip from door to door so I can only afford to do it about once a week at the moment so I can only get as much done as I can really when over there :(
I'm trying to get her finished for the mayhem event now in May me and dad are on about coming up for it, I haven't managed to get any more done until later this week but I found a photo of my fathers puffer he had the caldercraft kit in the early 80s when it first come out but got rid of his years ago I always wanted one as it was my favorite model I always told him I'd bud one and one day do it better lol I have combined picture of mine and his

DarrenCarter2

• Inactive
  • Shipmate
« Reply #61 on: July 14, 2014, 03:27:38 pm »

Finally picked this up again and started doing work repaired little parts that have broke of have now been stuck back on winch is now fully painted and stuck in place on the boat just need to paint the brake peddle and stick it on then touch up some paint, some of the rigging has been started also some work on the boom crane done some work on the buckets I brought to go on deck can't do any more this week unfortunately due to dad working on nights can't get in to his room as that's where we do all the model making slowly starting again but she will get there still loads painting to do :)

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #62 on: July 14, 2014, 04:54:44 pm »

Winch is a bit too rusty and dusty looking IMHO. Wouldn`t it be greasy and dark oily muck, some shiny chipped paint showing through ?

DarrenCarter2

• Inactive
  • Shipmate
« Reply #63 on: July 14, 2014, 06:45:34 pm »

Yeah as stated it needs touching up but I have few bits I want to add to it it's still a work in progress it's taken me two years to get this far and it's been sat on bench for a while as I have been doing other projects

ian-mccaffrey

• Full Mayhemer
  • roll on mayhem at wicksteed 2016 !
« Reply #64 on: July 14, 2014, 07:51:41 pm »

ignore arrow5 ! .

i think it looks good ! ... infact the whole build is fantastic mate ! . and after seeing her in the flesh at wicksteed the pictures do her no justice ! ... looks a lot better in real life !

lets just hope this one floats !!
fire at will ! ... which one is will ?

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #65 on: July 14, 2014, 10:33:08 pm »

VIC32`s  winch is a bit tarted-up as befits  it`s current use, but you get the idea. No stoory at all ;D  Oh and a varnished dinghy jist like on a "chentlman`s yat".

DarrenCarter2

• Inactive
  • Shipmate
« Reply #66 on: July 14, 2014, 11:01:13 pm »

Yes but u will find the vic was restored recently! So she hasn't done any proper work in years and plus every one builds the vic this is a working puffer

DarrenCarter2

• Inactive
  • Shipmate
« Reply #67 on: July 15, 2014, 01:12:11 am »

Also just to get technical as u obviously are having a dig the metal parts used on puffers were cast iron steal painted black which included the winch which even out the factory before even getting on boats showed signs of rust and plus throw in to the mix it was winching the anchor up so u had salt water on the rope and chain throw that in to the mix that causes more rust, baring in mind with all puffers they were work horses and they were well none for being dirty horrible hard working boats not perfect condition like the vic is in now she is a museum piece now and no longer gets used for what she was originally built for she is restored to a lovely condition which is not how I want my puffer to look all the vic now is a show piece, I built this puffer and I'm painting it to how lady bute would have been but am painting it to how I think she should be painted as a work horse not straight of the dry dock looking immaculate lady bute was a coal puffer to and one of the fastest ones out of the puffers even states that on the history of her which u will find on this link as the name I have given is is from a puffer
http://themackenzies.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/puffers/Rivercloy.htm

Also the rowing boat again isn't perfect because it's aged things can be varnished and then still gett roughed up here's some pictures for example of how I mean of rowing boats I had done quite a bit of research on puffers before starting this build I may be young and compared to a lot of people on this site not as skilled but I enjoy what I do and negative comments knock my confidence which is why this sat on the bench for a while but now I am even more determined to complete her I got quite a lot of good feedback from the mayhem event like Ian stated,

ian-mccaffrey

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #68 on: July 15, 2014, 01:39:19 am »

Also just to get technical as u obviously are having a dig the metal parts used on puffers were cast iron steal painted black which included the winch which even out the factory before even getting on boats showed signs of rust and plus throw in to the mix it was winching the anchor up so u had salt water on the rope and chain throw that in to the mix that causes more rust, baring in mind with all puffers they were work horses and they were well none for being dirty horrible hard working boats not perfect condition like the vic is in now she is a museum piece now and no longer gets used for what she was originally built for she is restored to a lovely condition which is not how I want my puffer to look all the vic now is a show piece, I built this puffer and I'm painting it to how lady bute would have been but am painting it to how I think she should be painted as a work horse not straight of the dry dock looking immaculate lady bute was a coal puffer to and one of the fastest ones out of the puffers even states that on the history of her which u will find on this link as the name I have given is is from a puffer
http://themackenzies.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/puffers/Rivercloy.htm

Also the rowing boat again isn't perfect because it's aged things can be varnished and then still gett roughed up here's some pictures for example of how I mean of rowing boats I had done quite a bit of research on puffers before starting this build I may be young and compared to a lot of people on this site not as skilled but I enjoy what I do and negative comments knock my confidence which is why this sat on the bench for a while but now I am even more determined to complete her I got quite a lot of good feedback from the mayhem event like Ian stated,

well said mate . dont let any one put you down . the detail of your boat is outstanding . if it was my boat it would of been finished a long time ago . but no where near the standard you have done and nowhere near as much detail as yours  !...

keep up the good work mate ! .

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #69 on: July 15, 2014, 08:23:25 am »

Your doing just fine Darren.
The Vic 32 was not a 'Puffer' per se as
she was built for the Admiralty.
She was part of a fleet of Victualling Inshore Craft
hence VIC and she would have serviced Dockyards and
Coastal bases and would never have got to look like a
hard worked puffer.

Keep the build blog and photos coming  :-)) :-))

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

DarrenCarter2

• Inactive
  • Shipmate
« Reply #70 on: July 20, 2014, 10:36:12 pm »

Thanks guys :) I'm planing on doing some more tomorrow morning I should get to dads about 9am but in work 4pm :( joys of working 7 days a week at the moment just no time for modeling

ian-mccaffrey

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #71 on: July 21, 2014, 12:15:17 pm »

Thanks guys :) I'm planing on doing some more tomorrow morning I should get to dads about 9am but in work 4pm :( joys of working 7 days a week at the moment just no time for modeling
Don't forget to open and play with the parcel I sent you at your dads and let me know what you think of them

DarrenCarter2

• Inactive
  • Shipmate
« Reply #72 on: July 21, 2014, 01:37:25 pm »

More work done on mainly the front end today booms been aged more and weathered and so has all the chains and parts slowly coming together very happy tho done some on the hovercraft as well quite happy so far :)

Ps Ian thank u for those and u weren't joking i think I have gone blind the unit works well to thank u :)

DarrenCarter2

• Inactive
  • Shipmate
« Reply #73 on: July 22, 2014, 12:57:03 pm »

Hi guys I have been thinking of how I can protect my puffer I'm going to be spraying her with some Matt varnish but I'm also thinking of building a box for her to sit in while I'm not using her and can be carried to the lake or shows in, I don't really no how thick wood to use for the box if I build one my father in law is a builder and he's said he's got loads of 18mm thick plywood at the moment but will this be to thick ?

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #74 on: July 22, 2014, 01:10:55 pm »

Not too thick, but certainly very heavy. About 15-18kg. Maybe use 18mm for the base and make the box out of 6mm?

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 21 queries.