Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Propshaft lubrication  (Read 3707 times)

110samec

• Full Mayhemer
Propshaft lubrication
« on: April 02, 2013, 08:25:58 pm »

Hi all, I know the propshaft needs grease in it to keep water out and keep it lubricated. I packed the tubes with grease on my tsekoa model and tested the motors attached to the tubes. After a bit things started to get warm. I'm wondering if I could use thick engine oil (the sort you get in an oil can for squirting on bits) instead of the grease, would that work? I don't think it would get as warm due to the lower viscosity of oil but would it be as effective at keeping the water out?

Excuse me if this has been asked before, I couldn't find the answer  :embarrassed:
"Nothing travels faster than the speed of light with the possible exception of bad news, which obeys its own special laws" - Douglas Adams

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Propshaft lubrication
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 08:30:27 pm »

You have to be careful about the lubricant you use which might leak out into the lake. If you leave  'tell tell'  effluent on the water it might lead to trouble with the authorities.

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

110samec

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 08:33:54 pm »

Could it be that everything just needs running in?
I'll be testing everything in the bath (professorial test tank) before going out to the lake but I'd like to make sure before everything gets installed inside
"Nothing travels faster than the speed of light with the possible exception of bad news, which obeys its own special laws" - Douglas Adams

kmmbcwebmaster

• Full Mayhemer
    • Kingsmill MBC
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 09:00:25 pm »

Mixture I use is part gear oil mixed with lithium grease and copper slip mixed until you get a creamy consistency and the added grease helps keep any leakage to a minimum and I only need to service my prop shafts once a year .Ron
just tugging along

Davenotdone

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is Great!
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 07:14:23 am »

I have two boats at the moment. The first is a Dickie tug conversion. This has an oiler attached to the tube, filled with normal car engine oil, ( as per the prop shaft manufactures instructions )  runs smooth as silk and no water gets in, not bad considering the whole tube is below the waterline. Yes, a TINY  bit of oil might leak out but the lake i use is full of duck / seagull crap and feathers, does it reallly matter?  My second boat was just a normal tube that i filled with grease. Bad move as the 400 size motor slowly wirred into life you could just tell the grease was slowing it down. This has now been ripped out and a prop shaft tube from Marks Model Bits is being fitted. Stainless shaft and tube,  PTFE bearings. The bearing at the prop end will be water lubricated and just a smidgen of grease in the tube at the motor end to lubricate the bearing and keep the water out. Not run this type yet but it looks good to me, regards, Dave.

KCS

• Shipmate
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2013, 09:41:58 pm »

Just wondering, would silicon paste not work? It lubricates, and it is waterproof.

Cheers

KC

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2013, 10:20:48 pm »

KC....yes silicone grease is waterproof and has good di-electric properties & is suitable for switch gear in moist applications [considered static or low frequency movement]
However in dynamic applications [rotating prop shaft] the grease will displace itself and leave a water ingress path between the stationary tube & the rotating shaft.......Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2013, 11:46:37 pm »

I use outboard motor grease and have never had a problem with water ingress.

Peter.

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2013, 12:35:34 am »

What bearings are you using?  You dont need grease if the bearings are doing their job.  Cheap acetate bearings are water cooled so use one of these in the water end of the prop and something else at the top. Then you can use an Oiler tube, I use a light oil like 3 in 1

html

• Full Mayhemer
  • Gipping Valley Model Boat Club
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2013, 02:23:06 am »

I never use grease as this can cause drag on prop shafts, I use a light oil that is food safe so if any does leak into the water it will not be a problem.
Brian
I do not suffer insanity, I quite like it!

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2013, 08:29:57 pm »

good call on the oil html, never thought of food safe, the oil also acts as cooling, dont need much, just a few drops. I suppose its down to the application really, a fast spinning shaft will tunnel in the grease anyway, so the grease ends up not actually doing any lubrication, whilst the oil will cling to the shaft and also prevent any rusting, personal preference I suppose, some like oil, some like grease :-))

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2013, 10:25:32 pm »

Hi all I think this came from Ron Dean.
1 third vaseline, 1 third WD 40, 1 third (3 in 1) lubricating oil.  It mixes up nicely and I use a small hypodermic to squirt it up the tube,
Very low drag and stays in the tube.
regards Roy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 21 queries.