Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 'MURPHY' 34'' BARGE WHAT DECK ITEMS, IF ANY, SHOULD I USE?  (Read 4363 times)

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer
  • Shiver me timbers...I've spilt me glue!
'MURPHY' 34'' BARGE WHAT DECK ITEMS, IF ANY, SHOULD I USE?
« on: April 05, 2013, 12:33:57 am »

Hi guys, just wanted some advice from folk who know about barges. I have a large 34'' barge with just a stern wheelhouse, cargo area and that's your lot. I want to keep it simple but the decl looks bare. What, if any deck items should there be, or, could I use?
Thanks very much.
Si:)

***Topic name modified***
My models are not nice, clean and ship-shape. They be mucky, grubby, rusty and smelly.

Umi_Ryuzuki

• Full Mayhemer
    • Models and Miniatures
Re: 'MURPHY' 34'' BARGE WHAT DECK ITEMS, IF ANY, SHOULD I USE?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 06:09:01 am »

A few bitts or cleats down the side, some vents, a couple anchors, a folding mast,and some rope,
deck chairs and an odd wheel and tire.

... and a meat pie, potted plants and a bicycle or two.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qPRFsV7RF8

:D

sparkey

• Full Mayhemer
  • I think I am as mad as I think I am then I am mad
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 06:16:53 am »

%% A watering can with castles and flowers painted on it,all barges seam to have one of these on the deck,very pretty I think,Ray. {-) 
My boats are all wood like my head fluctuat nec mergitur

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 06:58:22 am »

Castles and flowers are traditional decoration for Narrow Boats
Not Barges.

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

sparkey

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 07:53:22 am »

%% Thanks Ned,silly me I must be getting old or going mad,Ray {-) {-) {-)

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 12:24:35 pm »

A small boat with crane, some radar items, a spare prop, big size and metal. Not too many bikes unless it is a tour boat !.
..well can you land on this?

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 12:37:35 pm »

LOL, superb replies guys  :D
I have added some small metal ball cleats, one at the front on the prow and two just at the curve of the stern, also added a large maintanence hatch at the rear with small metal davit/crane next to it for ease of removing mechanicals etc. There is a lifeboat on the rear cabin so may need another small davit. Have fashioned a radar and added a horn, just got the nav lights to do. Was thinking of adding some non-slip self adhesive strips on the deck-not sure.

My models are not nice, clean and ship-shape. They be mucky, grubby, rusty and smelly.

sparkey

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2013, 12:37:35 pm »

%% I wondered where my push bike went,the captain collects them,                                                                                                                                           
                                                                                                           Ray. {-) {-) {-)

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2013, 03:52:30 pm »

I wondered where my push bike went,the captain collects them
Maybe to save fuel he ties them all together to the boat and gets folk to drag him along the bank.  :-)

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2013, 04:35:54 pm »

Bit of an update and some decking and wheelhouse details added. I have had to raid the junk box as I cannot afford to buy anything for this boat. So: radar is scratch made from a round plastic washer thing from a washing machine, it had hole in it that the end of large paintbrush just fitted. The small silver deck lights are buttons from an old car electric clock. The horn I already had. Replaced the rear windows for blue rippled effect. The nav light shrouds I already had, just re-sprayed then painted silver on the inside, the lights themselves are made from an old brass bollard, ground down, painted red and green and then a plastic shroud (from the hose in a spray bottle) slipped over. The rear silver vent is from a flat-packed furniture fixing. The rear hatch I already had, just re-sprayed-it left a few 'bobbles' where the paint didn't sit right, spot on as weathering. The metal davit I already had-painted and sat on a plastic spacer. The ball cleats I already had so just painted those. Added some lettering and the red stripe. Re-painted the stand and added some soft felt. Just got to fit a light to the front and add some very light weathering, not going over the top with this one.
Piccies.

sparkey

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2013, 04:51:18 pm »

%% Really looks the part,a great boat well finished,when is it going to hit the water for its sea trials? happy boating.
                                                                                                                                                                                       ray.

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2013, 05:00:33 pm »

Cheers Ray, the boat came painted so just left it, but it looked a tad bare. I like the clean lines so just thought of the essentials and thats it. All being well I will finish off this weekend or maybe into next week, resolder a broken wire from the ESC to the motor, re-fit the motor etc and then I will do a float test in the bath to make sure all is well. Maybe in a couple of weeks time I will get her down to the pond and let her have a swim.

Mad_Mike

• Full Mayhemer
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2013, 10:25:20 pm »

lots of nice finds you have there. An area of concern though and thats those fenders. how have they been glued on? Is that hot melt glue? Hot melt glue in areas that will get wet is useless as moisture works its way between the surfaces and the glue just falls off along with your fender, likely in the drink too. Hot melt is ok for somethings but nothing permanent or load bearing.  :-))

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2013, 10:39:41 pm »

Hi Mike, not sure, either hot glue or sealant. Will keep an eye and remove and redo if they show signs of dislodging.
She is finished not, well I have had enough now, there is another thread-changed her name to my Grandmothers. I just want to get my boats into the water, they may not look superb or a patch on other folks, but I just want to enjoy sailing them now. My hands and arms have had enough so time to call it a day in tinkering.

Mad_Mike

• Full Mayhemer
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2013, 10:46:13 pm »

Dont over do it then. I get the impression itl be a while before you hit the water?

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2013, 10:52:58 pm »

Hoping to get her in the water a week on Sunday, not taking both boats as I haven't room due to my scooter in the boot but that means I can take one one week and vice-versa  :D But enough is enough is enough now, I have enjoyed doing both boats but one after another has left me knackered and there is no way I could try and do another-both boats were built and needed tlc and that has shattered me out...to be honest Mike, I don't think I could actually start from plans or a kit and build one. Have fun with these two first.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.