Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Waterline model of 50's/60's coaster  (Read 2725 times)

AlanT

• Full Mayhemer
Waterline model of 50's/60's coaster
« on: March 26, 2013, 08:31:33 am »

My  other hobby is OO Scale model railways, (in between finishing my Lindberg Destroyer, Model Slipways Lifeboat and Trumpter Bismark!),  and I am currently planning a new layout which will include a harbourside section.

As a centrepeice I would like to include a period small Coaster, moored to the dockside, and I'm looking for a suitable project to either construct from a kit, (If there are any out there!), or scratchbuild. The scale is , of course, 1/76th. If anyone has any suggestions as to a suitable craft I would be most grateful. The model only needs to be waterline and it needs to be inexpensive...I love the Dean's Marine offerings but although they make great R/C boats are a little overkill for my requirements.

There are 1/76th Canal boat kits out there which are very good and suitable for canal scenes, but not for harbours.

Regards

Alan

RMH

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Waterline model of 50's/60's coaster
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 08:41:06 am »

Langley have a resin model, it's not cheap though. Look towards the bottom of the page

http://www.langleymodels.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Boats__Ships__Artitec___Langley__35.html 

Tankerman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 11:19:07 am »

This is the model of the M.V.Noordborg that I built from the Artitec kit. It is a good detailed kit and will eventually end up on a model railway with a jetty scene that my son is building. The full size vessel has been restored and there are some Dutch web-sites with plenty of photos of her if you do an internet search

Chris 
Going up to Bahrain on the Caltex Cannonball

AlanT

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 05:19:10 pm »

Thanks both of you for the info and wonderful model of "Noordborg". Unfortunatley the OO/HO scale boat (1/76th), according to the Artic website is 169 Euros, which is a little expensive for me.
The Langley's model is a good kit, but it has been used many times on Railway Layouts so I'm looking for something a little different.
I think I may have to build my own, so I'll search out some suitable plans and scale them up, (or down!).

Alan 

Tankerman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2013, 07:19:32 pm »

Alan, may I suggest that you look on this site:  http://www.aberdeenships.com/default.asp?    If you click on"browse all ships" you'll find plenty of GA drawings and may see something suitable. If you can acquire or borrow a copy of the book "Steam Coasters and Short Traders" by C.V.Waine you will also find many GA drawings of coasters of all ages that may give you inspiration. I hope this helps.

Chris
Going up to Bahrain on the Caltex Cannonball
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 22 queries.