Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: St Andrew (Civil Service No.10)  (Read 3362 times)

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
St Andrew (Civil Service No.10)
« on: April 06, 2013, 02:38:23 pm »

I spotted the attached at Anstruther on 4th April. All I have been able to glean about her is that she is a 'Watson' Class and served at Arklow, Girvan and Whitehills.
Can anybody tell me the origin of the name with its "Civil Sevice No.10" suffix? Surely there weren't vessels named 'Civil Service 1 - 10?'
Barry M

davidjt

• Full Mayhemer
  • north wales coast
Re: St Andrew (Civil Service No.10)
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 03:01:47 pm »

The Communications and Public Service Lifeboat Fund. Registered charity numbers: 248421 and SC041904

you can find out all about the service they provide above sorry don't no how to make links

also if you go onto lifeboat 24/7 scroll down and look for model boats section. you will see my build of this boat being built from scratch.

and thanks for letting me no where she is, do you no wheather she is stationed there permenant on display.

thanks david

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 03:44:49 pm »

David,
She was sitting on one of the Marina pontoons at which there is no access to the general public. There was no sign of anyone aboard and I have no idea what the intentions are for her. She is best viewed from the West breakwater.
Thanks very much for your link to the Lifeboat Fund; very interesting and informative.
Regards,
Barry M
Another pic for you.

davidjt

• Full Mayhemer
  • north wales coast
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2013, 04:14:23 pm »

thanks barry :-))

if you do hear anything could you pm me

david

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer
  • Shiver me timbers...I've spilt me glue!
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2013, 04:24:02 pm »

Hi David, found this about her: This vessel served as the lifeboat at Arklow, Southern Ireland, from 1938 until 1968.  She was launched eighty-seven times, saving ninety-eight lives.  She then became part of the relief fleet and, in that guise, took twenty-three calls, rescuing forty-two people. 

ARKLOW was sold out of service circa 1973 by Dickie's at Bangor, North Wales.  She has subsequently been converted for use as a pleasure craft, with her interior re-fitted in mahogany.  New engines and a gearbox have also been put in.   
From 1938 until 1973 she was called Inbhear Mor. Sadly no more info  :((  The above info has come from the National Historic Ships.
Some piccies here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/chartrouse/sets/72157622698199356/detail/

Si:)
My models are not nice, clean and ship-shape. They be mucky, grubby, rusty and smelly.

heritorasphodel

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2013, 05:52:10 pm »

The Civil Service and Post Office Telecommunications (CiSPOTel) lifeboat fund is a charity that has provided funds for lots of lifeboats. Each boat provided by The Civil Service has the suffix (Civil Service No. XX), although the numbers have been used on more than one boat, for example the 47ft Watsons Dunnet Head and Pentland, both stationed at Thurso, both carried number 31 as the Dunnet Head was burnt along with the boathouse in 1956 and Pentland replaced her.

The highest numbered boat I can think of is Edward Bridges (54-03) which carried Civil Service and Post Office No. 37, but I'm sure there have been more.

Andrew

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2013, 09:04:06 am »

This thread is - or was - about a particular lifeboat. If you want to compare your fish fingers, go start a different thread.  >>:-(
Barry M

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 22 queries.