Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 'ALMA' BARGE FINISHED.  (Read 1773 times)

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer
  • Shiver me timbers...I've spilt me glue!
'ALMA' BARGE FINISHED.
« on: April 06, 2013, 10:31:14 pm »

Right, today I have finished my barge-renamed her 'ALMA' after my Grandmother. Fitted two masts (old plastic paintbrush handles), tops of masts are made from plastic shelf supports (drilled and painted), made two large lamps, one on the cargo area and the other on the rear cabin area ( these are two plastic screw cap covers with the lenses out of a couple of old brass door peepholes, painted white from behind then silver), added 'ALMA' name, added some metal hand rails and painted, added a galley flue/chimney, added the other ladder part, weathered the hull and the wheelhouse slightly (not gone overboard this time), added a dashboard with a wheel, some small bolts (painted), a LCD screen off a broken digital watch and a small plastic steering wheel, not truly to scale but just gives something interesting to look at and fills the empty void.
What's it cost: model was £60 and that's it. All others parts are scratch made or spare boat parts, oh, aye...and two sliced fingers...she really has had my blood, sweat and tears  ;) Motor cleaned up, contacts cleaned and installed, just need to repair the broken wire from the motor to the ESC and then install that. She is going, hopefully to have her first wetting a week on Sunday.
Si:
Some piccies of her finished.

My models are not nice, clean and ship-shape. They be mucky, grubby, rusty and smelly.

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer
Re: 'ALMA' BARGE FINISHED.
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 12:10:59 am »

Just wanted to add guys that I really appriciate all the kind comments and help for my two boats. I am so glad that they are both finished as my disability is causing me problems so that is it, no more tinkering. I marvel at the other threads and am amazed at the skill of some people-I have to buy ready made models with just tinkering to do to make them mine as there is no way that I could build from scratch, on a budget means you cannot get the top end made models-which is fine by me-I can make them-grubby  :D . I only have room for two boats, so 'THE BID-D' Trawler and 'ALMA' Barge will be mine for a while, may sell one to get another in the future but for now I intend...when my disability allows to get to my local club and just sit and enjoy sailing them.
Thanks again to the great members and top site, really helped me get into this hobby.
Si:)
My models are not nice, clean and ship-shape. They be mucky, grubby, rusty and smelly.

Davenotdone

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is Great!
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 07:05:54 am »

Nice looking model, has a nice ' used ' look about it like it IS a working boat. :-)) I too buy ready made cheapo boats ( dickie tug etc ) and allthough i have not made the entire model itself i do convert them and have learned a lot about radios, motors, couplings, prop size, shafts, glues, paints, batteries etc etc. No, i didn't build them from scratch but then again if i did i wouldn't fell down the tree to provide me with the wood, go mining to get metals, buy chemicals to make paint and glue. It's all about building what you want and how you want to, there is no right or wrong way. Just enjoy what you are doing! :-)     Regards, Dave.

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 12:56:30 pm »

Thanks Dave, I suppose part of me is dissapointed as I want to scratch build a lovely looking boat with a superb paint job and shiny soldered brass fittings but I know I haven't the room or the stability in my hands to attempt it. I have been making models for years, on and off, mainly static ones and it is only in the past three years that things have really started to show-eye problems, even with glasses mean that they go blurry, I drop things, fiddly things just a pain to do...but, I have attempted in the larger model aea-hence getting into boats as I figured the slightly larger scale would be more benificial to my disability needs-it is, most of the time :D I do intend to enjoy my boats now as for the moment, that is it, no more gluing-painting etc...for a while anyway.
Si:)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 21 queries.