Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: From Navy (Steven Martin)  (Read 1813 times)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
From Navy (Steven Martin)
« on: April 07, 2013, 05:37:09 pm »

Via email to Mayhem...

From Navy (Steven Martin)

Greetings Fellow Model Builders from Canada:

A friend of mine sent some photos of my 1/60 HMCS Haida to the Forum and this is a follow up.

The odd scale was chosen because 1/72 is getting too small for my 70 years old fingers and 1/48
would have been out of the question at over 8 feet.  As it is Haida is a little over 6 ft and 38 lbs.
Hence, a launching and docking trailer.  The hull and deck are GRP with most of the rest styrene. 
I served in the ship as a Sea Cadet in 1960.  My memory and about 150 close up photographs
taken while she was having an overhaul at Hamilton Ontario in 2003 got the detail fairly correct. 
These photos were taken at Long Lake, Nanaimo, British Columbia where our club meets.  She
sails well but like any destroyer of the period with a 10 to 1 beam to length ratio sharp high
speed turns with a stiff broadside wind are not a great idea.

Interest was also expressed in my pair of Fairmiles.  Both are 1/24 scale with GRP hulls and decks.
 The rest is Styrene and wood.  The deck on the motor launch is doll house wood with many many
 coats of thinned out mat varnich.  The Fairmile Dog Boat runs on a single 850 motor with 2 to 1
gearing and 2 inch four blade prop.  The speed is about right for 30 knots

The former golf cart was an idea from Model Boat Magazine back in the 60s.  Self contained, Tool
and battery box on the bottom, launching sling across the back and a box for the radio out front. 
Coffee mug holder will be added this winter.  The cart is able to handle anything up to about 5 feet
and 25 lbs.  After that, things get a bit unstable.

I would love to hears from any model builders. 

Good sailing to everyone,
  Steven

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

gra2

• Full Mayhemer
Re: From Navy (Steven Martin)
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 10:18:41 am »

G/day Steven,
Nice looking models I have a number of 1/24 scale models as well.
All coastal forces type.
Gra2

Rottweiler

• Full Mayhemer
Re: From Navy (Steven Martin)
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 01:50:28 pm »

Steven, very nice models.the Haida was at Toronto while I was visiting in 2002,but I didnt realise that until I got back home! I know she went to Hamilton not long after,and again I visited there as they have the original ships bell from HMS RAMILLIES.no one seems to know why,but apparently we cant have it back until we return the Canadian flag flown at Vimy Ridge!I tried to get it back but the Royal Marines Museum wont do a swap for the cracked one they have!I am the Secretary of the HMS RAMILLIES ASSOCIATION,we have our AGM at Portsmouth next week.
Mick F
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.081 seconds with 21 queries.