Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Home Fleet Grey  (Read 2551 times)

DaveB

• Full Mayhemer
Home Fleet Grey
« on: April 02, 2013, 07:48:37 am »

Hi can somebody out there point me in the right direction i'm just about ready to paint the hull on my TID i going to do her in wartime colours and wondered what the equivilant of home fleet grey was.
Dave

A71

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Home Fleet Grey
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 10:01:29 am »

Hi DaveB

I will be painting mine in the grey as well. I will be using halfords grey primer and probably airbrush another grey over the top with weathering etc
The magazine article used halfords grey primer and Tamiya XF19 sky grey
Here is a link ( hope it's ok to link ) to a website I found with colour codes and mixes might be of some use ??
http://www.hmshood.com/hoodtoday/models/tips/hoodpaint.htm

Hope that's of some help

JP

DaveB

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 06:57:57 pm »

Jp
Many thanks for that i'll get in touch and order some tins.
Dave

mudway

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 02:46:43 pm »

Home Fleet Grey was a very dark shade of grey which by the time the TIDs were built in 1943 was no longer used. There was a standard grey scheme used for merchant ships which I would assume tugs would be described as because they weren't RN vessels but MOWT.
MSS > Merchant Ships Side & MSD > Merchant Ships Deck and later Light MSS. If you look at David Williams's book on camouflage, it says that AP507A and AP507C wre used initially,  A being Home Fleet Grey & C being Med Fleet Grey.  I have the book on Empire Tugs and many of them are shown mid and late war as being in a light grey colour, so may be the TIDs were this light grey.  Sorry I don't have any books on the wartime TIDs. A photo of Pasteur in William's book shows her as light gery with white mast tops. So may be AP507C could be the TID's color.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 23 queries.