Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best Radio gear for a Sub  (Read 3346 times)

pdryden

• Full Mayhemer
Best Radio gear for a Sub
« on: March 17, 2013, 09:31:20 pm »

Hi,

I have just obtained my first Submarine, a scratch built U955, and it is a fully diving one.

I am normally a Tug man and run my Tugs on 2.4Ghz which is no good for a sub, What is the best frequency to go for, 27mhz, 40mhz, AM or FM.

Peter. 

Stavros

Re: Best Radio gear for a Sub
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 09:41:37 pm »

27mhz or 40 Mhz as 2.4 will NOT cut through the water and you WILL loose your sub

Dave

pdryden

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 10:15:19 pm »

Hi Dave,

I knew that with 2.4 as i use it all the time for my Tugs, so going for 27 or 40 is a step back for me, hence I don't know if 27 or 40 will be the better one to use then it is further split into AM and FM. I know I wont have any problems using these frequency's for Surface craft but what will be the best for a diving sub?

Peter

Stavros

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 10:31:36 pm »

Have a good read in this  section I think everyone is using 40mhz as this is OK for sub surface craft

Dave

thegrimreaper

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 12:23:13 am »

as a sub runner I agree with Stavros go with 40 Megs and you wont go wrong 27 Megs can pick up interference from the old CB'ers if their are any around you might have a bit of a job trying to get hold of new 40 megs gear so look on flee bay or keep a look out in the sales section of Mayhem either way welcome to the DARK SIDE of submarines you wont regret moving over to a totally immersive hobby  (immersive hobby submarines immersive oh forget it)

Regards Mark.
Don't lie, thieve, cheat or steal. The Government do not like the competition.

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 06:35:58 am »

RC sub workshop was selling new 40Mhz radio sets recently, just checked and there are none currently listed.
40Mhz gear is quite easy to find second hand on ebay and elsewhere as many people migrate to 2.4ghz

nice one here:-
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Futaba-Skysport-6-Transmitter-R147F-Receiver-40mhz-FM-/151012061025?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item2329052f61

or this one which is new
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Futaba-4EX-4-Channel-FM40-Transmitter-with-R136F-Reciver-3-X-S3003-Servo-/130854950022?pt=US_Radio_Control_Control_Line&hash=item1e77901486

*Disclaimer*
No connection with the sellers of these items in any way shape or form, the links posted are purely for illustration as to the price of such products
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

Davy1

• Full Mayhemer
  • Association of Model Submariners
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2013, 08:38:45 am »

I would agree with everyone here about 40Mhz.
I would also recommend going for Dual Conversion receivers, if you can.
A lot of "sparky" electrical gear  packed in a small space in subs combined with a sometimes weak signal can give interference problems.
David

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2013, 09:37:11 am »

I would recommend trying to source a synthesized set if budget and availability allows, because the availability of crystals is getting decidedly iffy.

27mhz sets are going to be very long in the tooth, assuming you can find a decent set. FM is much better than AM on either 27 or 40mhz.

Many module based sets can be easily converted to 40mhz by replacing the tuning module, however make sure you can get a compatible module. Futaba and Hitec both made synthesized modules. Hitec made a module called the Spectra, which can be used in other makes of TX e.g. Futaba.

SwedishProjectBuilder

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2013, 11:38:54 am »

Great compilation of interesting and valuable info!
Thank you guys!

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2013, 04:16:41 pm »

Hi Peter, that sub has been down to 12ft in the local swimming pool and sailed ok on the lake, on 27megs at the height of the CB boom with no noticeable trouble. True, welcome to the dark art.
              Nemesis

pdryden

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2013, 05:43:58 pm »

Many thanks for your contributions and excellent advice, I have now obtained a Futaba Sky Sport 6 40Mhz FM with reciever so acting on your advice will install this into the Sub.
Nemesis it is indeed a Black Art, and quite different from sailing surface Craft, But it has got me quite excited and I want to try and get it up and running for next weekend, even just to sail on the surface.

Peter

bbdave

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2013, 09:53:30 am »

I managed to get hold of a second hand 4 channel 27Mhx FM set car boots are a good source and i bought a set of 10 crystals for a few quid they were made for some chepo model cars but are FM and splits

Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 23 queries.