Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fusion Aquapower 128A Boat Speed Controller  (Read 4993 times)

Gopher

• Full Mayhemer
Fusion Aquapower 128A Boat Speed Controller
« on: April 07, 2013, 10:09:41 pm »

Good evening all, can anyone tell me if a Fusion Aquapower 128A Boat Speed Controller is ok to use with an MFA800 in a 42" tug and are they any good I read so many comments about the amps not being right, being very new to the hobby I am concerned about buying something that will not perform as needed

Stavros

Re: Fusion Aquapower 128A Boat Speed Controller
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 10:16:48 pm »

It would be ok for a MFA 800 but Personally I would bother this wopuld be a far better buy that the one you have asked about.

http://www.action-electronics.co.uk/pdfs/P80.pdf

And it is Uk made as well.Not like the Chineesey thingy's

Why not pop along to the Coalville Show next weekend and get one there 

Dave

Gopher

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 10:25:35 pm »

'fraid I won't be  here off to Florida, so expect a heatwave whilst I'm away, usually the case I leave the country it roasts here and I end up with rain, went to Jamaica for 2 weeks, 1st week rain, 2nd week hurricane

NickelBelter

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 10:54:55 pm »

There is no way on Earth that thing can handle a 440 amp surge. 

128 amps @ 12 volts is two horsepower.  If you look at the wiring running to a 3/4 or 1/2 horsepower motor you'll see it's perhaps three times thicker than those power cables, so right away the unit cannot even be supplied with the power it claims to handle.  Some kind souls think that it's a case of advertiser error, that they're taking the theoretical rating of the components with a magic infinite-capacity cooling system but I think it's just plain flimflam.  None of these offshore companies has to worry about BBB complaints or angry customers showing up at their door. 

When you're going to determine the capacity of your speed controller the size of the boat is immaterial, and the size of the propeller is all-important.  The propeller is the actual load on the motor and the load is what determines the amperage drawn.  It is possible to calculate the amperage if you have a reading from the same motor turning a different sized propeller at the same voltage, but the fastest way to determine it is to use an ammeter and take a direct reading with the boat in the bathtub. 

I'm interested in tiny versions of regular size things.

Gopher

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 01:47:53 pm »

thanks for all your comments, my prop  is a 4 blade brass 60mm in diameter,  can someone have a look at this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=400380882500&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123 and let me know the verdict, I have looked on the internet and the only Profi esc's I can find are by Graupner not MFA

inertia

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 01:57:08 pm »

Gopher
As Nickelbelter so rightly says there is no way that ESC can handle 128A - but it doesn't need to. Your motor is likely to pull around 5A with that prop, so why on earth do you want anything bigger than about 20A? An ACTion P80 or Electronize FR15 will do the job very nicely and, as Stavros says, they are both UK-made and carry decent warranties and after-sales service.
Suit yourself.
Dave M

Gopher

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 03:37:28 pm »

being new to the hobby my logic was that if I had more amps it would put less stress on the controller sort of running it at say 20% of its capability as opposed to 100%

NickelBelter

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2013, 05:27:58 pm »

No need for that kind of excess- 25% under the rated capacity is enough to spare.
I'm interested in tiny versions of regular size things.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2013, 08:25:51 pm »

No need for that kind of excess- 25% under the rated capacity is enough to spare.
Unless the ESC is just not capable of supporting the enormous numbers, in which case, running it at 10% of what is says on the label is sensible.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Gopher

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2013, 09:23:35 pm »

I have just had a look in some of the spares I inherited along with the tugs there are some electronize type 43, I know they are old and all the ends are cut off so I assume they are faulty what would be the equivalent esc

Stavros

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2013, 10:10:56 pm »

Gopher I suggested the ACTion speed controller for a reason and the reason alone is quite simple really as I use a 70mm 4 blade prop  and a 800 MFA motor on a tid tug and have NEVER had any trouble at all the this product YOUR money YOUR choice

Dave

Stavros

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2013, 10:13:34 pm »

thanks for all your comments, my prop  is a 4 blade brass 60mm in diameter,  can someone have a look at this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=400380882500&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123 and let me know the verdict, I have looked on the internet and the only Profi esc's I can find are by Graupner not MFA

And Much More Money than the ACTion one....Make your own mind up

Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 22 queries.