Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Can someone please help me find the webhost for a UK company?  (Read 16781 times)

Kmot

Re: Can someone please help me find the webhost for a UK company?
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2007, 05:29:34 am »

Gents,

FWIW, neither 1 and 1 (One and One) hosting nor Schlund .de have replied to my abuse reports to them.

Interesting.......

-Tom

Down below

« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2007, 09:40:28 am »

It all seems very cleverly set-up to avoid contact.....So whats your next step?

johno 52-11

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model lifeboats built to perform
    • lifeboat Models
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2007, 10:56:19 am »

You could try emailing RIPE there are some contacts on there web site. They are the internet authority for europe so they may be able toput some pressure on the ISP for not dealing with an abuse complaint.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2007, 11:49:07 am »

Also, try recorded snail mail, hard to deny they received that!.

Martin.
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Down below

« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2007, 01:20:15 pm »

Or how about a good old visit in person to there so called new premises in Huddersfield

Kmot

« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2007, 04:29:20 pm »

Sending recorded snail mail this week.

Down below

« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2007, 08:56:55 pm »

I hope it gets a response as people have previously sent recorded mail to them which got delivered and it still managed to fall on deaf ears/blind eyes.

Good luck anyway ;)

Kmot

« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2007, 09:47:33 pm »

This business is as slick and hard to grab a hold of as grease on a pole!

I just received a reply in the mail today. A hand addressed envelope with a typed letter. They also returned my original letter and invoice. This person claims they do not own the website in question. But they managed to 'accidentally' open the registered International Priority Mail with the Return Receipt Signature required. Yeah, right! They do not give a name, and the signature is unreadable. The handwriting on the envelope is printed and looks like a womans writing style.

In any case, they are claiming ignorance. Waiting for me to contact a collections agency I suppose and calling my bluff.

Let's look at what has transpired so far:

1) Several e-mails back and forth to the persons responsible for the RC Hobby aka GPI Models website, and then silence.

2) Several e-mails sent to the alleged website hosts claiming 'abuse' and both the German 'Schlunde' and the 'One and One' abuse letters had an auto return from One and One! I wonder if this character actually owns those sites as well?

3) No response from either site from a real person re: the abuse issue.

4) Letter sent registered to the owners of record of the website.

5) Letter and invoice returned by an 'unknown' person who 'accidentally' opened and signed for the registered mail.

Some people are just professional crooks, and very adept at it.

slewis

« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2007, 09:56:03 pm »

You are flogging a dead horse mate   get trading standards to sort it out its about the only way you can get this sorted out . They Will NOT respond to an individual and from what I hear wont do a lot for officialdom either so you NEED to get the authorities involved . At least then you know that most everything that is legal to do is done . Failing that I have a few "friends" who could go have a word  :-X

Shane

Down below

« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2007, 01:15:58 pm »

Hi Tom, it comes as no great surprise, I did warn of the nature of this company, its high time it was exposed for what it is and in the process shut down, they seem to have no regard for anyone or anything other than to deceive >:(

What about getting the Police involved?.. As in effect is it not the theft of your property we are talking about here?

Maybe someone on here could advise better on that possible option, not sure what Trading Standards would do in such a situation as you have not purchased anything from the company and they would likely view this as not at the top of there priority list though it is on yours.

Or maybe its a case of having to pay them a visit in person to present the fact or maybe the offer of Shane's "friends" might discreetly do the trick ;)

Kmot

« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2007, 09:55:37 pm »

How do I contact the Trading Standards bureau?

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2007, 10:01:33 pm »

Log on to your local County Council (or Unitary Authority) Website - it should be listed as one of the departments with contact numbers etc.

Robert Davies

« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2007, 10:13:00 pm »

Log on to your local County Council (or Unitary Authority) Website - it should be listed as one of the departments with contact numbers etc.

Err... Kmot is from a land far from these shores (USA) - though if anyone can supply an a County Council web address for this 'company's' location that may prove very useful.

-Rob

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2007, 10:24:19 pm »

Sorry, missed that! But the contact address for the company is in Huddersfield according to their website in which case you could contact West Yorkshire Trading Standards: http://www.westyorks.trading-standards.org.uk/index.asp?pg=Index.htm

There is guidance for making a complaint there.

RantandRave

• Full Mayhemer
  • ...don't get me started!
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2007, 10:34:53 pm »

Are they still trading via the website? It does seem to be active a ready to take my card details......

So another route could be to contact the credit card or banking services they use on the website.
I'm sure "Nochex" would take a very keen interest in their trading practices IF they are acting in any way unscrupulously!

Kmot

« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2007, 04:50:03 am »

Thank you, Mr. Bishop.  :)

Down below

« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2007, 10:30:14 am »

This company has always traded via its web site regardless of what premises they were about to leave, it seems that most of the goods scams have been done from ordering via its web site.

Though with the latest news saying that credit card companies do not chase card claims against companies its no wonder companies such as this continue to operate and have found a loop hole to continue there scams.

ScaleShipyard

« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2007, 05:46:32 am »

Well Kmot;

Richard & company seem to like photos from California, he/she  is now using a photo of me holding one of my Yamato hulls to sell a product that they do not have or ever will have, this is without my permission, the internet is not the great thing people thought it would be and the scammers have found a very large audience to screw over, and the law does not want to do anything about it.

They have been using your photos and got away with it so far, now they are using mine, and there are others,

The name seems to be same for a jerk that was using photos off of the subcommittee site to sell R/C Model submarines on E-Bay that were not his, this person took the money and then pretended not to exist anymore, this person sold several models before e-bay pulled the plug and then this person came back and did it again with a differant ISP, I seem to remember that this person was brought up on charges as well. then the story went cold. >:(

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2007, 07:55:14 am »

Kmot, not knowing enough about the legalities of this I am not giving an informed opinion but would I not be right in thinking that if the pictures are not actually protected by copyright then they are freely available?  Putting a watermark on them does not change anything legally and anything we decide to place on the Internet is always going to be open to anyone copying and using them.

I'm not sure if they are actually doing anything legally wrong so you might find it difficult to generate any support for your cause.  Very annoying I know but I think we leave ourselves open to such things everytime we post a picture on the net.  I always greatly reduce the quality before posting to limit the use of pictures by anyone else but maybe you could look at it as a compliment that someone wants to use your boat pictures to help them market thier products?
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

toesupwa

• Full Mayhemer
  • USA'd ex Brit
« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2007, 10:00:41 am »

Kmot, not knowing enough about the legalities of this I am not giving an informed opinion but would I not be right in thinking that if the pictures are not actually protected by copyright then they are freely available?  Putting a watermark on them does not change anything legally and anything we decide to place on the Internet is always going to be open to anyone copying and using them.

I'm not sure if they are actually doing anything legally wrong so you might find it difficult to generate any support for your cause.  Very annoying I know but I think we leave ourselves open to such things everytime we post a picture on the net.  I always greatly reduce the quality before posting to limit the use of pictures by anyone else but maybe you could look at it as a compliment that someone wants to use your boat pictures to help them market thier products?

Several points Bunkerbarge

Any artwork, writing or photograph is copyrighted by the author if its says its copyrighted.. or not.
Putting a watermark on a photograph or 'C' after an article informs the viewer that this 'item' is copyrighted and the author requires payment and/ or recognition for the piece. It does reinforce things legally.
Yes, the company that is using Kmot's pictures are acting illegally and are using his pictures (with his copyright watermark) without his permission, payment or recognition.
I have to agree with Kmot, that if a company is making money from a product using someones pictures as 'advertising' then they at least deserves recognition for the photographs and payment for their use.
Despite several requests, the company mentioned has refused to credit Kmot as they are his pictures... has refused to make a payment.. and has refused to remove the pictures from their site.

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: September 06, 2007, 03:34:55 pm »

Thanks for the update Toesupwa, certainly worth knowing.  I always thought there was a lot more to it than that.

So in this case if someone is knowingly using someone elses pictures what can Kmot do about it?
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

Kmot

« Reply #46 on: September 07, 2007, 04:07:32 am »

I have already done what I can legally do from this side of the pond. You can see the results of my efforts.

Scale Shipyard, good hunting!

a3nige

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: September 07, 2007, 08:18:47 pm »

Just found this after a google search for Trein maersk

http://www.rchobby.co.uk/radio_controlled_t_class_conta.htm

Have e-mailed Deans marine

Nige
"You're a hard person to ignore, but well worth the effort !"

cptsparrow

« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2007, 06:38:57 pm »

The host is 1&1 - it is the same host that we use. Generally they are pretty helpful, though I suspect that they will not want to get too involved in this matter as there is no criminal material on the site. I don't have the material to hand to look up but I suspect the T&Cs for 1&1 make it clear that copyright is the clients issue.

Won't hurt to drop them a line though.   

T&C's don't hold water - they are responsible for their clients content.  Once brought to their attention, it is their responsibility to bring down the objectional matter as quickly as humanly possible.

Kmot,
Millenium Copyright Act - good read. Good luck!

FiveStar Adhesuves

« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2007, 10:35:36 pm »

There website isnt inline with the distance selling regulations , there is no contact address for them in the T+C , and you need to see the legal comapny address before you enter into a contract with them by paying not just an email address or tel no.

The trading standards have a department dealing with internet trading , they are clamping down on this, there is also a special dept of the police dealing with it as well

The easy way to deal with the photos, its simple for anyone who can be bothered, just bill them for use of your photo, then sue them for non payment , if enough people do it, you can gang together and then apply for there bankruptcy due to your belief of the non ability to pay the total
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 21 queries.