Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How big is Titanic  (Read 2215 times)

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
How big is Titanic
« on: April 09, 2013, 03:14:24 am »

We constantly hear how big Titanic is. However, someone sent me this picture that puts Titanic's size into prospective in relationship to today's cruise vessels. Witness the Titanic backed by Allure of the Seas.

John

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
Re: How big is Titanic
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 03:51:13 am »

Well, I know which one I would rather sail on if she were around today.  O0

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 05:52:34 am »

Titanic passenger capacity, 2453
Allure of the seas pax capacity 5400 (at double occupancy).

And so my question is, how much extra space to pax have today, and what accounts for the rest of the volume of the ship?
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 09:45:18 am »

From my waterline models of Titanic and Queen Mary 2 I'd say that the picture looks about right.

A lot of factors affect space comparisons. A standard cabin in a modern cruise ship would be around the same size as first class cabins in Titanic and not all of them had their own facilities. On Titanic the bulk of the passengers were steerage and accommodated in bunks. Cabin space takes up a lot of space in a modern ship, you only need to look at all those balconies!

As far as the other space in the ship is concerned, much of the hull of Titanic was taken up with boilers and machinery whereas on a cruise ship the power to weight ratio of the diesel power plant is much, much greater and the propulsion is often in the form of pods hung underneath the ship. Use of aluminium makes for a much lighter upper structure on a modern ship, permitting more accommodation decks. Titanic was deep draughted and sat in the water, Allure of the Seas basically sits on it and despite her much greater size actually has a draught of 1m less than Titanic. Most of the rest of the difference is accounted for by public facilities. The Titanic didn't have things like outdoor lidos and swimming pools, theatres, golf courses, water parks etc. etc.

But of course the two ships shown are quite different types. Titanic was an ocean liner, Allure of the Seas is a cruise ship - different animals.

Colin

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer
  • Shiver me timbers...I've spilt me glue!
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 11:27:22 am »

Some good info on the dimensions of Titanic and how they are taken here: http://www.titanicebook.com/dimensions.html
Si:)
My models are not nice, clean and ship-shape. They be mucky, grubby, rusty and smelly.

sparkey

• Full Mayhemer
  • I think I am as mad as I think I am then I am mad
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 12:33:29 pm »

%% So that's how the Titanic sunk it was run down by a cruise ship and wasn't an iceberg it ran into!
                                                                                                                                                               Ray. {-) {-) {-) {-) [size=78%] [/size]
My boats are all wood like my head fluctuat nec mergitur

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: How big was the Titanic?
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 12:42:15 pm »

Great post Colin, thanks!  :-))
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2013, 01:25:47 pm »

Yes Good picture  :-))

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2013, 01:33:50 pm »

Well, I know which one I would rather sail on if she were around today.

In an Atlantic storm, Titanic might well have been more comfortable than Allure of the Seas!

Not so many years ago when QE2 and Queen Victoria crossed the Atlantic together there was no doubt which was the better ship as regards sea keeping.

Colin

nick_75au

• Full Mayhemer
    • Logan City Marine Modellers
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2013, 10:55:37 am »

Most of the internal space of a cruise ship is air, they have to have massive internal atrium's, there is no other way that there can be so much hight above the waterline.

Nick

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2013, 03:45:33 pm »

Also, the upper decks of the Queen Mary 2 are inset from the side of the hull to improve stability.

Of course, air is what cruise passengers are paying for, large cabins and spacious public rooms and atria. All the heavy stuff is well down at the bottom of the barge like hull.

Just before WW1 the Germans tried to outdo everyone else with the Imperator and her two fleetmates and came a cropper. They installed marble bathrooms and other heavy fittings in the first class accommodation and installed huge funnels. As a result Imperator was nicknamed Limperator as by the time she reached New York with her coal bunkers almost empty the ship would list significantly to one side or the other. In the end they had to remove much of the expensive fitments, cut off the top of the funnels and pour a couple of thousand tons of concrete into the bottom of the hull. She was generally OK after that and went on to serve as Cunard's Berengaria after being ceded to Great Britain as war reparations. She carried on until 1938 when she was retired after a series of fires caused by her outdated wiring. When she was built there was only a positive supply wire with the negative return through the ship's structure (a bit like a car!) So when the positive wire lead sheath wore through with the working of the ship, if it touched anything connected to the ship's hull it caused a fire!

Colin

grasshopper

• Full Mayhemer
    • A1 Hobbies Ltd.
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2013, 04:22:26 pm »

Not too worried about the design and the reasons why, just glad to think that two weeks tomorrow I shall be boarding a cruise ship (Crown Princess) in Southampton for a 12 day cruise to the Canaries and back.

Will be interesting to see how she fares across the Bay of Biscay and into the Atlantic rather than round the Caribbean islands.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2013, 06:33:56 pm »

We saw Crown Princess at St Petersburg in 2008. Not as pretty as Titanic but a lot more comfortable I would think!

Have a great trip.

Colin
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 22 queries.