Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CRAZY IDEA!  (Read 4870 times)

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer
  • Shiver me timbers...I've spilt me glue!
CRAZY IDEA!
« on: April 09, 2013, 05:02:10 pm »

Right, going off at the deep end here...wanting to get some bits together to make a little project. Going to make a floating moving 'Bio-hazard' boat. Yeah, I know, sounds silly. Idea is I have just found a bag containing some old mega bloks items that belonged to my lad...there is a large plastic compactor that is hinged and looks cool, it has bio-hazard on it, also some crates and large barrels that could house all this oozing goo, the boat is going to look, as per the norm with me, a rust bucket :D  then going to add photo-etched barbed wire around it...something like a Mad-Max-no crew just a rusting hulk with all this leaking stuff-painted of course.
So, basics-do I try and source a ready made hull that has a prop etc, an old project that nobody can bothered with and then rework the upperworks or, do I try and scratch build...not too sure of this option as I haven't done anything like this before. Just want it as a 'taking my time' boat, any ideas appriciated.
Si:)

Just to add a bought hull, must be leak free and cheap, not bothered about condition as it is going to be seriously distressed-even missing in places.
My models are not nice, clean and ship-shape. They be mucky, grubby, rusty and smelly.

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
Re: CRAZY IDEA!
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 09:41:54 pm »

You've forgotten your tablets again haven't you  O0

Dave

Mad_Mike

• Full Mayhemer
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 10:11:50 pm »

I like the sound of this project although im having a hard time visulising it. What kinda of hull are we talking about here? barge or something?

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 10:25:22 pm »

And what size too?

Dave

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 11:42:36 pm »

Not too sure of size, was thinking of a barge type or flat bottom hull. Not bothered about too much power etc as the boat is going too look deralict...drifting etc...although of course it will need rudder etc. Scale doesn't really matter too much as the hull could have cobbled together from an old tug/barge etc. The idea is to have a hull, with large boxes, three large drums and the compactor...something out of a apocalyptic (spelt wrong, I think) sc-fi sort of thing, old and decaying, rust and oozing slime, a serious danger to all at the boating lake  :D  the wheel house will be half rotten, collapsed etc. So, do I try and make a flat bottomed hull, seal it etc...never built a hull before or fitted prop shaft, motor etc...so a bit daunted by this, or try a get hold of knackered, but sea worthy, hull with motor, prop in place...this to me seems the best way forward. Just need it cheap.
Some piccies of the items to be used.

My models are not nice, clean and ship-shape. They be mucky, grubby, rusty and smelly.

Guy Bagley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 11:50:34 pm »

mobile marine models do a flat bottomed barge type hull.....
all in all its just another brick in the wall......

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 11:52:52 pm »

Ta for that will have a look. Was thinking of a bait boat, adapted...but they are too expensive.

Mad_Mike

• Full Mayhemer
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2013, 12:14:25 am »

Correct me if i have misunderstood this, but basically your idea is to make no other word for it other than a floating skip to randomly amble along and get in peoples way?
This is one of artistic type things that noone understands innit  %) , this is what happens when lunatics are introduced to out of the box thinking and given sharp objects %% {-)
On a serious note then i think a barge of some sort would be going in the right direction. I think that springer plan i showed you would be just the job. 

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2013, 12:19:26 am »

In a word...yes  :D  You know I can do...well rotten, rubbish looking boats, why break with tradition-might as well stick to something I am good at. I am thinking of barge type myself-she ill have a single screw, moter, rudder just like a normal boat-she just be...as you say, a skip with a motor, already sourced some skeletons in tattered clothing that are going to be the crew. Just need a good size boat workings that is going that needs tlc...well my type of tlc...going cheap.

Mad_Mike

• Full Mayhemer
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2013, 12:29:41 am »

how much do you plan on spending to do this?

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2013, 12:46:30 am »

As little as possible...if I could source a boat that is water tight, floats, has a working motor, servo, rudder, prop shaft and prop then that is all I need. The condition of the hull, deck and fixtures, regarding painting or broken bits is of no concern as it will be painted rust with knackered deck, wheelhouse etc. I know I could buy the bits but fitting them could be a pain so anything that is predone is a bonus as I then just need to re-work.

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2013, 12:50:52 am »

Thinking about it... most items will be scratch built so it is just a boat I would need. All paints, glues, parts I could make, just need a the bare boat. If it had prop, rudder etc I could buy a motor and servo at some later date. Just run my 6v battery, TX etc. I suppose £30 or £40 for a boat that needed some extreme tlc or that nobody wanted anymore.

Umi_Ryuzuki

• Full Mayhemer
    • Models and Miniatures
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2013, 01:06:08 am »

Perfect project for a SPRINGER tug.

:-)) :-))

Mad_Mike

• Full Mayhemer
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2013, 01:13:18 am »

ye i cant think of a better base than a springer.

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2013, 09:58:45 am »

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

ardarossan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2013, 10:53:09 am »

I've had an idea along similar lines for a while, although I was thinking what a 'modern day' Pirate boat might be like, maybe basing it on a Torpedo boat. However, a couple of thoughts for a possible base for your project...

How about a Springer Tug, but fitted with an Airboat fan and shroud (either powered or dummy)...

Or a late 1800's Ironclad - Check out images of 'Battle of Hampton Roads'; U.S.S. Monitor; C.S.S. Merrimac; or C.S.S. Tennesee...

Or a Lightship, a Landing Craft, a WW2 Aircraft Recovery Barge (I think Glynn Guest did a simple plan), or a floating Drilling Rig...

"Good Morning nurse, that's a funny looking coat. How come the sleeves are so long and the buckles are at the back?!...

Captain brainfart    %%

How much wood would a Woodchuck chuck, if a Woodchuck would chuck wood?

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2013, 11:55:49 pm »

The Acid Queen from Tommy (as sung by Tina Turner) has sprung to mind.
I do hope this vessel with have a suitable soundtrack  O0

Dave

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2013, 01:10:39 am »

'Their coming to take me away...ha, ha, he, he...'

I think it will be a totally sane idea...*twitch*

slug

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2013, 06:55:20 am »

portside11 has some barges under sales on here that might do the job,all sizes  slug
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 21 queries.