Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Build for BMPRS racing A-Class  (Read 10794 times)

Danny

• Gorleston Model Boat Club
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Gorleston MBC
Re: New Build for BMPRS racing A-Class
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2013, 09:43:17 pm »

Nice video. Very smooth runner Craig  :-))
I hope you know that we go round all the buoys - every lap  {-)
Good luck in your maiden race on Sunday - let the fun begin!!
Cheers
Danny

craig dickson

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2013, 11:20:23 pm »

I hope you know that we go round all the buoys - every lap  {-)
Hey up mate, I thought that complete novices like me only had to go round 2 buoys each lap  {-) {-) {-)
Seriously thank you all very much for your positive comments.
Cheers
Craig :-))

Forget all insults, always remember compliments.

Brigadair

• Full Mayhemer
  • Race to enjoy; winning is a bonus!
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2013, 09:09:09 pm »

Can't wait to pit for you Craig! Looking at the deteriorating weather forecast (again!) it looks like rough water can once again be expected so your hull should do well????

Best regards
Garry Dickson (BMPRS Committee member and Webmaster)

craig dickson

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2014, 06:39:33 pm »

Hi Folks

It is about nine months ago since I opened this topic. This update is primarily aimed at any of you that might be thinking of racing perhaps for the first time in the BMPRS - like I did in 2013. Perhaps your first build of an IC model power boat?

When we see all of the hype about the latest high performance engines, hulls and radio gear I fear that it could put off a lot of people from even thinking about having a go and getting involved. The potential costs can be substantial. However it need not be that way.

In this example of my first BMPRS boat, I used an engine bought second hand that cost £45, Hull and most of the hand made components from Bernard Holder that cost a lot less than one would have expected. What I did do was take my time on the build process keeping things simple but aiming for absolute reliability.

What did I end up with? A boat that was not the quickest throughout the season. But it did deliver the result I wanted.

If you are reading these threads. If you might be apprehensive about the prospect of having half a chance of doing well. My message is Try doing what I did on a budget. It can be done and it is great fun!

:-)) :-))

Danny

• Gorleston Model Boat Club
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Gorleston MBC
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2014, 08:10:13 pm »

Well Craig, I couldn't agree more - and you are the proof that a well put together boat, sensibly driven, will always get the top awards!  Congratulations on your Championship win.
With the reliability of the new generation of cheap, efficient engines it has become more and more about how the boat is set up and driven which gives the points.  Of course, if you want to be in with a chance of fame - you have to go to as many meetings as you can, so when you DO have the odd hiccup and your boat doesn't perform (or you hit the buoys), then you have a "spare" score to discount.

I like what you're doing with Photoshop (reminds my of a certain Society logo)  :-))

Cheers
Danny

Brigadair

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2014, 10:18:06 pm »

Agreed. You don't need to spend a fortune to win the coveted year end trophy. Craig even proved this when he built his boat stand out of a piece of drift wood, he stubbed his toe on when he went for a walk with us on cleethorpes beach!

He made it look very nice though with a bit of Photoshop editing! >>:-( <*< :police: :police:

He did take time in building the boat, which always pays off, , I need to learn a lesson from you on this one craig.

Garza.
Best regards

craig dickson

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2014, 07:47:06 pm »

Craig even proved this when he built his boat stand out of a piece of drift wood, he stubbed his toe on when he went for a walk with us on cleethorpes beach!
He made it look very nice though with a bit of Photoshop editing! >>:-( <*< :police: :police:
He did take time in building the boat, which always pays off, , I need to learn a lesson from you on this one craig.
Garza.

What Garza did not say was why I  stubbed my toe on the drift wood and failed to avoid it........ :(( :(( :((

>>

>>

>>

There's nowt wrong with using drift wood for a boat stand as it keeps the boat nice and high up to prevent bending down!

>>

>>

>>

>> %% %% %%

Thanks for your comments folks  :-))

spearfish99

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2014, 07:33:29 pm »

Hi Craig,
  Absolutely agree with you.  Having been around for a few years in both boats and aeroplanes, it is an observation that quite a few racing classes have foundered because in the end people were competing with their wallets rather than any skill in building or racing. If it gets like this, it limits the number of newcomers ( especially younger members) entering the sport and also, to my way of looking at it, takes the fun out of it.
 Personally, all of my boats might well be christened Miss Ebay! . I actually prefer some of the older designs of boat and particularly, the older engines, especially K&B's, webras and Vecos

craig dickson

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2014, 06:13:59 pm »

Hi Craig,
  Absolutely agree with you.  Having been around for a few years in both boats and aeroplanes, it is an observation that quite a few racing classes have foundered because in the end people were competing with their wallets rather than any skill in building or racing. If it gets like this, it limits the number of newcomers ( especially younger members) entering the sport and also, to my way of looking at it, takes the fun out of it.
 Personally, all of my boats might well be christened Miss Ebay! . I actually prefer some of the older designs of boat and particularly, the older engines, especially K&B's, webras and Vecos

Danny also made good points in his earlier posting as did Garry. One great thing I like about the BMPRS organisation from what I have experienced, is that you see boats of all kinds and prices paid from the relatively cheap end like mine to much more expensive combinations. However, those members that turn up with the more budget priced boat combos are treated with just as much respect as anyone else. That makes for solid foundations of a good club in my opinion.

You mentioned your preference for some of the older engines etc. The K&B brand has a special place in my book. I ran a K&B 40 on a reduction gearbox in the seventies. For me that engine remains the engine that is my all time favourite in terms of raw out of the box power.

Craig  :-))

tmbc

• Full Mayhemer
    • www.tmbc.org.uk
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2014, 06:25:09 pm »

Hi Folks

It is about nine months ago since I opened this topic. This update is primarily aimed at any of you that might be thinking of racing perhaps for the first time in the BMPRS - like I did in 2013. Perhaps your first build of an IC model power boat?

When we see all of the hype about the latest high performance engines, hulls and radio gear I fear that it could put off a lot of people from even thinking about having a go and getting involved. The potential costs can be substantial. However it need not be that way.

In this example of my first BMPRS boat, I used an engine bought second hand that cost £45, Hull and most of the hand made components from Bernard Holder that cost a lot less than one would have expected. What I did do was take my time on the build process keeping things simple but aiming for absolute reliability.

What did I end up with? A boat that was not the quickest throughout the season. But it did deliver the result I wanted.

If you are reading these threads. If you might be apprehensive about the prospect of having half a chance of doing well. My message is Try doing what I did on a budget. It can be done and it is great fun!

:-)) :-))

Spot on m8 and glad you did decide to come racing, what an excellent year it was you just go to prove that on a budget of a few hundred pounds that it is possible to enjoy the hobby !
BMPRS  Health and Safety Co-Ordinator

Brigadair

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2014, 08:12:48 pm »

Craigs budget of a few hundred pounds includes new low profile tyres on his car to get him to the events, so. In terms of winning on a budget, well done craig!
Best regards

midships

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2014, 12:03:04 pm »

hi craig
just seen the posts for your new boat and the video clip ,looks good nice and neat with excellent response from the steering , decided that as i am new to this type of boat i would go ahead with the rtr pro boat rockstar 48 this will give me a chance to get used to boats and the ins and outs of petrol engines ,having seen your build and video has given me food for thought and my well build my own after i have got used to the rockstar
thanks for your help and other modelers with their input
divorce papers will probably be in june when I COLLECT IT FROM MY LOCAL MODEL SHOP (ONLY JOKEING )
REGARDS
HOWARD MIDSHIPS

craig dickson

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2014, 07:31:14 pm »

Hi Howard

Thank you for your response. I am pleased that the build photos give you some food for thought as that always makes the effort taken to show them worth while. I hope you thoroughly enjoy your new RTR Rockstar 48 boat. Comments from folks in the other topics on this boat suggest that this make is better than most. In due course it will be great if you open up a new topic in respect of your new boat to let us know how it all goes and to share your thoughts and opinions on the new challenge. I will much look forward to that if you are willing - it could make for a fascinating topic!

The way I avoided divorce papers was to involve my wife in certain aspects of my boating exploits. But I won't dwell on that! {-) {-) {-)

Cheers
Craig
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.