Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: battlecruiser deck planks  (Read 1773 times)

dgp1957

• Full Mayhemer
battlecruiser deck planks
« on: April 12, 2013, 06:06:10 pm »

Hi all, now going to start my build of HMS Queen Mary using the Fleetscale HMS Lion hull. The plans I have state that fore and quarter decks were teak, can anybody tell me what the size of the planks would be on the model (1/128) and if possible where I could buy suitable planks.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: battlecruiser deck planks
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 06:30:16 pm »

Capital ship deck planking of that period was typically about 9 inches wide or around 230mm. you could maybe add an inch or so for caulking between the planks.

If you are using the 1/128 scale hull then your planks need to be a nominal width of 1.8mm. Lime strip is readily available at 2mm width so you could probably get away with that if you use the technique of representing the caulking by staining the edge of the planks with a permanent marker pen.

Have a look here re the stripwood: http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/acatalog/timber.html There are other suppliers. It might cost a bit!

If I'm wrong, I'm sure somebody will tell me!

Colin

Rottweiler

• Full Mayhemer
Re: battlecruiser deck planks
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 08:00:07 pm »

You may find the planks produced by Deans Marine,for their HMS WARSPITE kit  to be suitable.I have started using these for my build of HMS RAMILLIES,and as Colin says,use a permanent marker or black ballpoint to colour the edges.They are available from the above but you have to search for them or ring Ron Dean.
Mick F
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 22 queries.