Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CAR INSURANCE POSTCODE RIPOFF.  (Read 4093 times)

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer
  • Shiver me timbers...I've spilt me glue!
CAR INSURANCE POSTCODE RIPOFF.
« on: April 13, 2013, 12:05:33 pm »

I used to drive a 10 year old Citroen Picasso. In my 40's with 9 years NCD, no points of convictions, and due to where I live my premium, with discount last year was £450! This year it has gone up by nearly a £100! I am disabled and luckily I have a motability car with insurance for me and my wife as part of the deal. If I didn't have this then I would be unable to drive as even with the online supermarkets quotes are not cheaper. I spoke to a police-officer who told me taht it was the insurance companies and nothint to do with the Police...I pointed out that insurance companies use the postcode to find out about high crime, claims made etc, so in part if the crime in my area is bad and is affecting my chances of being able to afford to live there, then that was down to the Police to try and stem the amount of crime and rip off claims being made, surely they should be working with the insurance companies? All I got was 'nothing to do with us'.
Like a lot of things in this country Insurance and Banking are just two legal ways of robbing you.

If I loose my DLA with these new PIP changes coming into force then that is it, no money, no car and hobby, all I want is something to try and keep me going as best I can-I cannot afford expensive gear or boats just a couple to try and tinker with and enjoy sailing-getting me out of the house for a couple of hours a week. May sound negative but you just wonder why you bother sometimes-if you are unable to work then you're better off dead...feels like it sometimes.

Moan be over.  :D

Si:)

My models are not nice, clean and ship-shape. They be mucky, grubby, rusty and smelly.

F4TCT

• I am not completely useless.......I can always serve as a BAD example
  • Full Mayhemer
    • My Boat Builds
Re: CAR INSURANCE POSTCODE RIPOFF.
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 09:35:09 pm »

Same here really,

I now live on a very 'exclusive' estate that half the locals dont even know about, behind big gates and yet they stuck my insurance up £70.

Theres literally 4 people that live on this postcode with not even as many cars.

Sent a letter to admiral complaining, they said you can have ya £70 back however we are going to put it on further policies.

They rattled on about crime stats (to which i have checked and there are none). That reminds me, still need to write a letter back!

Dan

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 10:15:14 pm »

Same here Dan, half the locals don't know where they are.  %)

Dave

coastie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 10:17:46 pm »

Try the co-op of the 35 go compare came up for me ranged from 450-1250 went on coop site 189 quid
Dan tell them cars in a gated compound 8 foot walls and gate all around that knocks off 50 quid

thething84

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 05:52:14 am »

i would steer clear of admiral.

My wife was with them till they told her when renewing that someone had claimed against her about six months priior to her renewal. Admiral never contacted her about this, and even didn't have anything on there system to say they contacted her. So she lost her n claims etc. They lost three insurance policies that day.

J
If it ain't broke! Fix it anyway!

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 08:05:17 am »

A work colleague had a similar problem with house insurance, his premiums doubled - when he asked why he was told that his postcode was a flood risk zone as it was next to the sea.
While one end of his road was only just above sea level - his house was at the top of the cliff, 60 foot above sea level. he never did manage to get it reduced as all the companies used the same postcode / flood risk data.
Grendel

sparkey

• Full Mayhemer
  • I think I am as mad as I think I am then I am mad
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 08:51:25 am »

<*< Hi,Eddie,really is a rip off I have a ford s max on a 11 plate and I was quoted between £384 and £1274, I asked the guy who quoted me
£1274 why it was so high he said it was because you car is a 7 seater,the companies know what the car is when you put the registration No in
the computer.Anyway I took the £384 deal it is with Esure and that's with all the extra's,I have been with them 2 years seems ok,how can there be such a difference in price £890 that's unbelievable,Ray >>:-( >>:-( [size=78%]      [/size]
My boats are all wood like my head fluctuat nec mergitur

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2013, 09:18:30 am »

I don't understand insurance either.
My wife went from a 2.0 Hyundai Coupe to a 4 Litre Jaguar XK8 roughly the same aged cars.
The difference in insurance was £200-00 CHEAPER.
Bob
Officially a GOG.

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2013, 09:32:45 am »

Last year they attempted to put up my poilcy by over £100, so I kicked up a stink and was very generously offered the same ( extortionate ) price as the year before. Before this I went and compared...some companies wouldnt insure a car over ten years old, others penalise you for your post code, seven seaters are subject to bigger bogus insurance claims, more bums on seats for the blood sucking lawyers, one third party quote was over £800 more than a fully comp, explanation " we dont recommend third party policies..", sometimes a newer car incurs higher costs, sometimes the opposite.....
Maybe its time THEY got a dawn raid like the oil companies...bang some heads together :-))
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

inertia

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2013, 09:56:03 am »

I think some companies just make ridiculous quotes rather than tell you they don't want your business. The combined cost of insuring my Verso (7 seater) and Liz's C3 Exclusive (hot hatch auto) is just less than £500 with Liverpool Vic, fully comp/bonus protected blah blah. ASDA quoted over a grand EACH on one of the comparison sites. No - we don't buy their groceries either.
As for crime rates, I reckon a lot of that is bull. We live in an expensive area like Dan, with alarms everywhere and Neighbourhood Watch signs all over the place - so very little crime. The buggers just load up the premiums because they know we'll pay it. Someone once said that the British motorist is the most gullible and most ripped-off consumer in the world. I wouldn't argue.
Dave M

F4TCT

• I am not completely useless.......I can always serve as a BAD example
  • Full Mayhemer
    • My Boat Builds
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2013, 09:58:56 am »

ive only ever stuck with admiral because i have found them to be the cheapest each time, despite them trying to increase the price etc.

john44

• Full Mayhemer
  • member of the Potteries Model boat club
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2013, 10:17:36 am »

I think that the insurance companies have brain storming
sessions to think ways up of how to get more money from
motorists.
I know from experience the retail trade do,so what is the
next price hike. ( climate change causing more accidents).
As we all know our annual renewals will never go down.
There are certain people on the estate where I live who
don,t work don,t pay rent,drink,smoke,use drugs,
have mobile phones,drive without a license,uninsured,
 untaxed cars,they just laugh when their cars are towed away.
but they have another one there within a couple of days.
They have no money to pay any fines, so they just seem to
be left to do exactly what they want.

john

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2013, 11:45:33 am »

think its all a big con , my partner and i treid to get insurance quotes for a 14 year old polo automatic just a month ago , i rang the company who insure my own 43year old triumph to be quoted 1400 quid , the cheapest quote was still over 700 quid . needless to say were sticking with just owning the triumph and going to spend the money on a new engine , as our insurance is just 140 quid per year . granted the car may not be as quick as a modern one , it hasnt got central locking , or electric windows , or air bags , or even park anywhere lights on each corner , but it does drive very nicely ! jon

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2013, 01:38:38 pm »

Same here really,

I now live on a very 'exclusive' estate that half the locals dont even know about, behind big gates and yet they stuck my insurance up £70.

Dan

Is that the one with HMP on the gate  :}

john44

• Full Mayhemer
  • member of the Potteries Model boat club
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2013, 05:26:17 pm »

I like that one Longbuild. {-) {-) {-)

john

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2013, 05:31:59 pm »

High Motor Policies  {-) %% {-)

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Howard Q

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2013, 10:31:22 pm »

Hi. I have two vehicles one good car and a reasonable van for my boats and grot, my car insurance increased last year because I turned 69 the Company said all premiums go up at 69?, here is the twist, my van is insured with the same Company but for reasons only known to the Company I am driving it as if I was still 68, probably when the insurance is due it will also increase, guess who is going to lose another premium, they have not got a clue, I live on the Isle of Man and premiums are based locally on this.
Howard. :-))

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2013, 12:01:22 am »

Guys....it's not unique to the UK.....in OZ we have a major insurance company that sends their executive staff  on a two week training course each year
You guessed it....this year it was Hamilton Island........two weeks of intense training >>:-( ....well from 1000 to 1200 & 1400 to 1600 x 5 days per week....naturally the balance of the time is for sailing, snorkelling,  swimming or just sleezing about  %)
Yes ........that's what my insurance premiums pay for............Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2013, 04:56:53 am »

Derek you need to change your insurance Company as they are slumming it. :o :o :o

Mine train for only half that time, so they are not over stressed and spend twice as long in the Whitsundays >>:-( >>:-(

That way you will be getting more value for your Dollar  %% %% {-) {-)

PS.
You are all aware that in OZ, the 'Big' companies, banks etc don't have insurance, only where it is mandated by law such as public risk, they carry the risk as the premiums are prohibitive.
They just pay any successful claims and are well ahead from paying actual premiums.
It's us numbskull's that are targeted with scare campaigns to insure all and everything >>:-( >>:-( <*< <*<
Do the sums, and look at the statistics, how much have you paid and how much have you claimed, if ever, and how much would you have if the premium was 'banked' each time and allowed to grow with interest????????????? O0 O0 O0 O0
Gunna build those other boats one day.

tmbc

• Full Mayhemer
    • www.tmbc.org.uk
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2013, 08:58:07 am »

well guys im 39 with 6 points ! dont ask bloody mobile phones lol
ive got a vw transporter t4 96 1.9td  for the past 2 years my insurance has been around 500quid fully comp this year its dropped to just under 300quid but i had to question the policy and found out they add a load of extras that i dont need as being fully comp they were of no real benefit to me that saved me nearly 100quid
i had a renault espace 2.2dt that they wanted over 1000 for so sold it and bought some new boat bits !  :} :} :}
BMPRS  Health and Safety Co-Ordinator

Gazza

• Full Mayhemer
  • If its to windy to fly I'm boating
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2013, 08:46:30 pm »

LOL mine was a joke was £630 for both cars (Admiral multi car ) this year was £1360 errrr say what went go compare site and back to £650 with axa I think
retired and loving it

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2013, 12:02:07 am »

Insurance is just a license to print money for them. I dont bother with contents insurance, I'll save the money thanks.

We've 3 cars, a 2001 Zafira, a 2002 £ Series and a 2011 Z4. Premium with Admiral was just over 700. I've no idea how some people are getting quotes of over a grand for a 7 seater (like the zaffie). With admiral wife is paying about 170 fully comp and me as named driver. We dont bother with protected NCB which is a con.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2013, 01:42:28 am »

Hi justboatonic,With some policies the contents cover is free while the house cover is still competitive.  I agree wok out how often you have 'accidents' and act accordingly.
I just have above and what ever I have to have legally.
Our club has legal cover for the Officers of the club, if it is a problem that would stop a member helping to run the club fair enough.  But at the end of the day we are mainly grandads sailing model boats on the local lake and some play trains at a private site.
We also have to have Public Lability insurance insisted on by the local council.
When  we do anything public we have to show our insurance certificate.  We carry 2M pounds cover.  When we have a club exhibition we put up about 20 odd AA style road signs. 
According to the Highways Agency we have to have 10 M pounds cover during this time which is crazy! We spend just 90 mins putting them up and taking them down. I fought the case down to 5 Million and then 2 years ago said to them that 2 million was enough for any thing we could think of!  The 'Boss' rang me and said "Just don't tell us,"!
So we don't, and save 50 pounds in premiums each year!
regards Roy

StarLocAdhesives/FiveStar

• Full Mayhemer
    • StarLoc FiveStar quality adhesives and glues at FMK
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2013, 01:43:36 pm »

Insurance costs are absurd in the UK

I have no points, full licence since 1995 , full no claims bonus , 40 this year, job as chemist and company director

2 years ago my £600 car insurance was refused for the renewal as they were no longer insuring my area! , there is now only one company that would take a new customer in my area, got it cheapest through asda , the cost that year nearly 4000, this year its down to the amazing low price of about £2800 , this is third party only on an 17 year old car , it would be cheaper for fully comp but they refuse to insure anything but third party, not even fire and theft available, car needs to be kept garaged

Even companies who insure high risk drivers on modified cars such as adrian flux refuse to insure this postcode

I think to myself.... lets get a non turbo 4x4 car, a vectra 1.8.....insurace about £50 less , merc c180 the same , so better to keep the fast car

Ive just got a van for in the UK , 2L HDI peugeot expert , 2002, van cost £1100 , insurance cost £1900 for fully comp  , only one company would quote at this price, one other said £2900 ,

if the van was newer they say I would need to buy new and get the insurance provided by buying on a lease...as insurance is not available on anything less than 5 years old in my area

Its all about postcode they said that the north of the country has very high insurance due to the number of criminals, and unemployed

This is insuring in L17 , so i tried at another address I rent out just down the road from the factory in Runcorn ( WA7 1NX ) and it wasnt much different, they wouldnt insure the van at the company address in runcorn as it was too high a risk.

This is why i live part time in Bulgaria now, vans and that will shortly all be insured over there, ive got 3 cars and a lorry there now for about 90 Euros each a year , I cant keep any in the UK for longer than 90 days in 6 months so I can just change them over when I drive back and forwards , even with the fuel costs its cheaper!
Formulators and manufacturers of quality adhesives and surface coatings for industrial , DIY & modelling sectors since 1988
See us online   www.shop-4-glue.com
on ebay https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/gianthairyhedgehog/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2013, 01:57:35 am »

The bottom line is, insurance companies are there to make quick easy money and NOT, to insure you against any risk.
There is no risk to them, (insurers), otherwise you wouldn't be able to get insurance, unless at exorbitant costs as has already been stated by others.
Post codes are also used in similar fashion here in OZ. >>:-( <*<

Do the maths and you will find it cheaper to carry your own insurance.
Gunna build those other boats one day.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 23 queries.