Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Graupner lighting kit - Help!  (Read 3704 times)

sharkbite0

• Full Mayhemer
Graupner lighting kit - Help!
« on: April 15, 2013, 01:08:08 pm »

hi all
 fairly new to submarines.
only built 2 subs one was a sarik u boat and the other is a robbie seawolf version 1 which is under construction now.
so to my problem i have a graupner depth stabilizer part # 1962. and a graupner submarine light kit part# 1961.
i got them with the seawolf kit.
the depth stabilizer has the instructions abit in german but also has a diagram so that is not a problem to fit.
what is a problem is the lighting kit it has no instructions and i have googled for a set of instructions to no availe.
is there any one who could help me please on how to fit the light unit to my sub and how it will plug into my radio reciver.
thanks in advance for all replys
regards
mick
you only get one childhood so make it last all your life.

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
Re: need help please with problem
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 02:46:31 pm »

by the looks of things it operates on a free channel, connect the 3 wire black plug to a spare channel on the receiver, the lights come on and off via a switch on the TX (CH 5 or 6 normally) and a water leakage alarm (VERY useful)

Google translated
Graupner, specialized feature set, 1961 The Special Functions can bow projector and navigation lights, remote controlled via an electronic part, be turned on and off. Moreover, penetration of water into the submarine - with the aid of a sensor on the electronics - a red light activated . The set includes: electronics with cable kit, 1 red light, white light 1 position, 1 bow projector with lamp, extension cord with water sensor and wiring harness connector

Only thing that worries me is the power connection (Red female connector).... I can find no reference to the voltage requirement but i would suggest trying 6v first then increasing the voltage
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

sharkbite0

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 04:33:44 pm »

thanks essex
for the info and the translation mate
will give it a go mate on 6volt and see what happens
the only thing is there are two reciver plugs on the harness.lol so im a bit confused .com
regards
mick

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 05:07:50 pm »

On further inspection I see what you mean.

I'll see what I can find
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2013, 06:15:42 pm »

Don't expect too much from the depth controller- I understand they don't work in the same way/sophistication as depth controllers from Subtech and Norbert Bruggen.

Re the lamp, I would be inclined to fit a white LED. Link it to the receiver buss with a 100ohm 1/4watt resistor in series with the LED. This will give greater luminance and draw a lot less power, and LED's love the cold water unlike filament lamps.

sharkbite0

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2013, 07:51:04 am »

hi subculture
thanks for the heads up on the led's that was on my list of jobs but didnt know what size resistor to use.
as you say led's love cold water and the bulbs on the unit wont last long in that enviroment lol
and i like the idea of using less power  :-))
regards
mick

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2013, 08:58:49 am »

Working out a current limiting resistor for an LED is a cinch. Blue, white and pure green LED's tend to drop about 3 volts and most other colours about 2 volts, with one or two rarities like ultra efficient red LED's dropping 1.5 volts.

To find out the correct load resistor we subtract the LED forward voltage from the desired feed voltage.

A regulated receiver buss should be 5 volts, so in the case of a white LED subtract 3v from 5v, giving us 2 volts.

Next we need to know the forward current we wish to push through our LED. For most LED's it's between 10-20mA (milliamps). I work towards the upper end, as we want this LED nice and bright for luminance.

So we divide out 2 volts by 20mA e.g. 2/.02 which equals 100 ohms. That's our resistor rating. Next we need to know the wattage of the resistor.  So we times the system voltage by our current 5 x .020= 100mW or a tenth of a watt so a quarter watt resistor or higher is ideal.

sharkbite0

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2013, 03:12:15 pm »

Working out a current limiting resistor for an LED is a cinch. Blue, white and pure green LED's tend to drop about 3 volts and most other colours about 2 volts, with one or two rarities like ultra efficient red LED's dropping 1.5 volts.

To find out the correct load resistor we subtract the LED forward voltage from the desired feed voltage.

A regulated receiver buss should be 5 volts, so in the case of a white LED subtract 3v from 5v, giving us 2 volts.

Next we need to know the forward current we wish to push through our LED. For most LED's it's between 10-20mA (milliamps). I work towards the upper end, as we want this LED nice and bright for luminance.

So we divide out 2 volts by 20mA e.g. 2/.02 which equals 100 ohms. That's our resistor rating. Next we need to know the wattage of the resistor.  So we times the system voltage by our current 5 x .020= 100mW or a tenth of a watt so a quarter watt resistor or higher is ideal.

subculture now that just made life a lot easyer thank you verry much for putting it in terms i can understand.i use led's in my boats and planes and used to buy pre made units with the rezistor pre fitted.but your explanation has just made my day. and life so much easyer
regards
mick

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Graupner lighting kit - Help!
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2013, 04:29:02 pm »

You can play with this :-  http://ledz.com/?p=zz.led.resistor.calculator

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

sharkbite0

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2013, 11:07:39 pm »

You can play with this :-  http://ledz.com/?p=zz.led.resistor.calculator

Regards  Ian.

thanks ian will see what it comes up with for the resistor i may need.
led.s and the resistors needed were a black art to me but thanks to you and sub im getting there i apreciate all your help verry much thanks lads
regards
mick

hastings246

• Shipmate
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2013, 09:07:38 pm »

I wonder if the separate rx connectors are one for the water detection and the other for on/off nav lights. You would want the water detection to power on and the nav to probably have the option for it. Just a thought!!!
Sean

sharkbite0

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2013, 10:39:18 pm »

I wonder if the separate rx connectors are one for the water detection and the other for on/off nav lights. You would want the water detection to power on and the nav to probably have the option for it. Just a thought!!!
Sean

hastings thanks for the reply and i think you may be right  :-)) :}  will try it out and let you know  ok2
regards
mick
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 22 queries.