Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: my 1st boat and clueless  (Read 8706 times)

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
Re: my 1st boat and clueless
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2013, 02:57:11 pm »

Better to sink in the bath rather than the middle of the pond %)

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

hmsantrim

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2013, 03:32:20 pm »

hi rich.
            if you see your mate in the paint store get some good quality gloss paint as the wood being pourous will soak it in and put a
           hard shell on it.  Enamel gloss also if you can get or smooth hammerite.   The other types of paint are best for the shiny
           plastic surfaces.  If you are keen to restore the motor possibly the vintage site I listed would be able to steer you in that   
          direction. Or google for Frog motor restorations.   RE: C4 that was just the boss taking the PI55 as he recons its a bin job  {-)

The reason the consensus of opinion is towards the electric motor to-day is the enviromental regulations to water based
         animal and plant habitats have now been stringently enforced by many councils so the IC or glow plug sailor is now banned
        from many waters and if not is frowned upon by other sailing water users.   To days electric motors and batteries have
      advanced to such an extent that they are now on a par with the speed of the older fuel powered engines.   The electric motor
       has many other advantages that have probably been mentioned already. 

Frank.     

rich.h44

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2013, 05:35:58 pm »

hi rich.
            if you see your mate in the paint store get some good quality gloss paint as the wood being pourous will soak it in and put a
           hard shell on it.  Enamel gloss also if you can get or smooth hammerite.   The other types of paint are best for the shiny
           plastic surfaces.  If you are keen to restore the motor possibly the vintage site I listed would be able to steer you in that   
          direction. Or google for Frog motor restorations.   RE: C4 that was just the boss taking the PI55 as he recons its a bin job  {-)

The reason the consensus of opinion is towards the electric motor to-day is the enviromental regulations to water based
         animal and plant habitats have now been stringently enforced by many councils so the IC or glow plug sailor is now banned
        from many waters and if not is frowned upon by other sailing water users.   To days electric motors and batteries have
      advanced to such an extent that they are now on a par with the speed of the older fuel powered engines.   The electric motor
       has many other advantages that have probably been mentioned already. 

Frank.     

Thanks again frank been a painter and decorator by trade (I hate glossing) I'm hoping I can get a very nice gloss finish, Iv been thinking on pva'ing the whole bottom half of the hull the act as sealant to stop water getting in as near the front there a strips of wood at the bottom, I don't really want fill or resin it as I like the look of it so I want to try seal it as best possible!

Been on eBay looking at shiny things! Must resist unit boat is compleat an painted!!!!

hmsantrim

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2013, 07:14:45 pm »

Hi rich.
              not quite sure what you mean with pav`ing the bottom half of the hull but I think you mean adding another layer of wood as
              you think it may not be watertight.  What you can do is paint the inside with resin and add tissue matting.

What I have done previously with old woden boats is cut a piece of tissue matting to size to fit the side skins between the
                frames and also on hull bottom that way you get a nice neat job.  I just apply resin then stipple in the tissue matting I just
                do one area at a time between the skins.  I use wooden wedges and other scrap bits of wood to tilt the hull to reduce the
                 amount of resin pooling in the one area.    You could I supose use gel coat but for me the fumes are pretty fierce.

frank.      :P         

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2013, 07:31:54 pm »

PVA' ing,  using PVA as a sealant

Regards  Ian
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

rich.h44

• Shipmate
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2013, 08:01:16 pm »

That's the one, useing pva/wood glue to paint the whole of the outside of the hull as protection before I paint it.

rich.h44

• Shipmate
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2013, 08:32:32 pm »

I not sure which section to post this but is it best to replace the rudder,prop and propeller before or after paint!
Also what size rudder and prop should I use? The ones that are on it seem a bit smal?!

pettyofficernick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Marineville will be destroyed, Muahahaha.....
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2013, 09:03:19 pm »

Best to do all the work first, so you wont be flapping about damaging the nice shiny new paint job...... :-)) :-)) :-))
What I do is best not discussed, for I have been many things in my time....

rich.h44

• Shipmate
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2013, 09:37:50 pm »

Best to do all the work first, so you wont be flapping about damaging the nice shiny new paint job...... :-)) :-)) :-))

I'll crack on with that then I started sanding it down today got most of the paint flat but finding it hard to get the deck nice to varnish it!

pettyofficernick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Marineville will be destroyed, Muahahaha.....
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2013, 10:46:52 pm »

It has probably had fuel ans all sorts soaked into it over the years can you plate over it with 1/64th ply, or plank it with o.5 mm planks.....
What I do is best not discussed, for I have been many things in my time....

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2013, 09:36:13 am »

That's the one, useing pva/wood glue to paint the whole of the outside of the hull as protection before I paint it.
Not too sure about using PVA as a sealant - granted it can be useful as a damp resist in buildings, but unless you find some that is actually water PROOF as opposed to water resistant then it might be a worse problem being stored for the future.  In use, the paint will inevitably gather a few scratches, and the last thing you want is water finding its way to a soluble layer.  Resin and tissue is a much more reliable solution.  There are lots of methods and ideas around, it just takes time looking through the various threads on this and other model boat sites to find them.  Only trouble is, on a site with 2000 contributors, thats how many different answers are likely to turn up.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2013, 12:01:24 pm »

Some of the later types of PVA are waterproof when dry, or the manufacturers would have us believe, perhaps Starlok can give a comment? PVA release agent (For Fibre glass construction) and the PVA bags fishermen use to deposit bait around the hook certainly are soluble. Rather than blathering another layer of whatever on top of the existing, It may be advantageous to rub the hull down completely.

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

rich.h44

• Shipmate
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2013, 06:58:18 pm »

Ok cheers guys, well Iv got the sides of the cabin compleat so time to make the floor of the cabin Iv made my templates when to cut the wood and guess what it's too narrow! Oh well a boring night watching the soaps now :(

Mad_Mike

• Full Mayhemer
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2013, 07:09:11 pm »

what you need then more ply?

rich.h44

• Shipmate
« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2013, 08:05:14 pm »

Yeah,there's a few pieces missing so I'm going to try make it myself I'm good to pop down to the wood shop tomorrow after work!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 21 queries.