Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SO FAR THIS MODEL BOATING LARK IS GETTING ME CHEESED OFF...  (Read 4079 times)

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer
  • Shiver me timbers...I've spilt me glue!
SO FAR THIS MODEL BOATING LARK IS GETTING ME CHEESED OFF...
« on: April 17, 2013, 05:27:15 pm »

I really enjoyed joining the my local club on Sunday, and despite the barge having a steering problem which Stan has been so helpful I thought, 'okay, just a one off, had a problem, get it fixed and move on'...went to the lake today with my trawler, the guys were having a yacht race so I just kept out of the way...of course it all went wrong. I parked on the top car-park as it is closer to the pond, I had to come down the steps and fell at the bottom, boat smashed onto path, thought it was just bits and bobs that fell off and all seemed well. Nope, she sailed okay and then started to sink, electrics failed-luckily she wasn't too far out and she drifted to the shore with her stern under water. Got her out and she was just swimming in water. I have managed to get the rigging off and the deck, which broke, stripped out the electrics which I had to cut some wiring and found the whole rudder assembly has gone. Damn my disability, my leg went. I am hurting like mad and sick to death of boats at the moment. So, I have no boats at all to enjoy on the water, such is life. If I am struggling now then I may have to give up this hobby before I even get started.

Si <:(
My models are not nice, clean and ship-shape. They be mucky, grubby, rusty and smelly.

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
Re: SO FAR THIS MODEL BOATING LARK IS GETTING ME CHEESED OFF...
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 05:50:35 pm »

Im sorry to read this. Hopefully your electrics will survive. It sometimes helps to put things to one side. In a few days you may well want to carry on. Good luck. John.

john44

• Full Mayhemer
  • member of the Potteries Model boat club
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 06:04:37 pm »

Sorry to hear about your mishap,
at our club we meet on the car-park prior to sailing and if any
of the more elderly/disabled(some have had new knee joints etc.)
and have to walk using 2 sticks
the more able of us make sure they have assistance getting boats
 in & out of the lake, and seated comfortably before we start our sailing.
Then we take the boats back to their cars when they are ready to go.
There must be members of your club who would be willing to help you
and your boats get to and from the water safely.

john

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 07:22:38 pm »

The slope is much safer/kinder Eddie.

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

hmsantrim

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 08:26:26 pm »

Hi Si.
            Sorry to hear about your grief with the boat but I am afraid its par for the course. Those of us who have been at it for
            30-40 years could probably write a book about the times when the modelling gods were against us and everything for what
              ever reason would go pete tong.
           Have I had a boat sink yes, have I fried wiring YES, have I had a surface running sub sink yes, like you I have also dropped a
            boat and had the hull split open. I had been sailing in Dec there was a hefty spring fitted to the back of the club house door
            so it would close behind you. I pushed the door open with my foot got half way in the door flew back and jamed my fingers
            in the door frame.  My fingers being frozen could`nt hold on to the boat which hit the deck. The hull was four feet long the
            split was three feet long.  Did I repair it YES, was it a big job YES, did I swear a lot YES, did it sail again YES.

As you have a mobility issue and may want to sail in your own time could I suggest a car to pond side vehicle may be an idea
            for your boat and equipment.  EG a mclaren type buggy which would also support you walking as well as being the carry
             vehicle.  These things fold up for storage in the house and car.  Possibly be obtained cheap in charity/ 2nd hand shop.

There have also been some boat launching trollys made from various items to enable you get the boat in the water unaided.

As mentioned earlier throw the boat in the corner after you have got the electrics out to dry and go back to it when you are
              feeling mentally and physically fit again.  Go and get a plastic kit out something easy to keep your self busy and give you a
               focus. 
                                krgds Frank   :-))

sparkey

• Full Mayhemer
  • I think I am as mad as I think I am then I am mad
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 09:17:01 pm »

>>:-( Hi,Eddie,I hope you are feeling better now, as Frank say's those of us who have been a round a bit have had a few mishaps in our
time, and we all swear  to put ourselves through that again but we always dust ourselves off and start again so don't be too disheartened,
as you and I know we will carry on whatever because will love our boats,best of luck,Ray. O0 [size=78%] [/size]
My boats are all wood like my head fluctuat nec mergitur

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2013, 01:53:52 am »

I think most of us have been at the point of throwing in the towel at some point :-X .
Problems can seem to gang up on you at times  <:(
Sometimes there is stress happening elsewhere, and the boat problem is the last straw and just brings it to the surface, but we think it is the boating. I know I do sometimes. ok2

Maybe go down and see the lads for a cuppa, take a thermos and leave the boat at home. Just watch others enjoy what they are doing and remind yourself why you do it yourself. :-)
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

thething84

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2013, 04:50:54 am »

give it time. let yaself calm down before tackling it again. I am sure you will find the reason why you started modeling in the first place. As tiger says. Take thermos and i chair down to the lake when the weather is nice. Sit and enjoy the company of others while relaxing watching other boats on the lake. i am sure you will find the the good stuff out weighs the ocasional bad.
take it easy,
J
If it ain't broke! Fix it anyway!

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer
  • Shiver me timbers...I've spilt me glue!
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2013, 10:07:20 am »

I found the leak and will strip the boat back and clean her up, should be a easier fix. I suppose it was just a knew-jerk reaction to my disability and the pain the fall caused-just a excuse not to go outside, which is wrong, I am in agony today but have thought about and realise why I enjoy it...I like making models. Will stick at it, so thanks guys for the support and encouragement.

Si:)
My models are not nice, clean and ship-shape. They be mucky, grubby, rusty and smelly.

pettyofficernick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Marineville will be destroyed, Muahahaha.....
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2013, 11:03:32 am »

I found the leak and will strip the boat back and clean her up, should be a easier fix. I suppose it was just a knew-jerk reaction to my disability and the pain the fall caused-just a excuse not to go outside, which is wrong, I am in agony today but have thought about and realise why I enjoy it...I like making models. Will stick at it, so thanks guys for the support and encouragement.

Si:)

Good form :-)) :-)) :-))
What I do is best not discussed, for I have been many things in my time....

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2013, 11:12:10 am »

I also have mobility problems, and can and do fall regularly............I have learned to livewith it to some extent because my kids laugh at the embarrasment I cause to them.
after the Blackpool show last october, lugging my three lifeboats around for the show..........I ached and cursed for days, vowing never to lift another boat again....

However i got over it, and decided to build slightly smaller boats.........there is a passion to model boats that gets into the blood, just like motor cycling, and even now you have probably thought...."oh I can do this and that to make my lott easier".

it's a matter of compromise and finding the best way to carry on with your hobby..........if I gave up on all the things that make my back and arthritis hurt more as most things do these days, I would give up on life................and having two kids......that's not me.

persevere  and you will reap the benefits of this wonderful hobby. :-)) :-)) :-))

neil.

Rottweiler

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2013, 12:53:03 pm »

we do all get p##sed of with any activity at times,my biggest problem is very shaky hands.but I annoy my self by thinking of two songs (pick yourself up dust yourself down and start all over again) and annoy everyone with "All ways look on the bright side of life  te dum te dum te dumm etc) oh no I have just started singing it again!
Good Luck,
Mick F

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2013, 03:23:32 pm »

we do all get p##sed of with any activity at times,my biggest problem is very shaky hands.but I annoy my self by thinking of two songs (pick yourself up dust yourself down and start all over again) and annoy everyone with "All ways look on the bright side of life  te dum te dum te dumm etc) oh no I have just started singing it again!
Good Luck,
Mick F

DAM YOU!
Now it's in my head too!  O0
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

thething84

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2013, 10:14:47 pm »

in my head now aswell. And i got another 8 hour shift at work to complete. Arrggghhhhh <*< <*< >>:-( >>:-(
If it ain't broke! Fix it anyway!

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2013, 05:35:26 am »

in my head now aswell. And i got another 8 hour shift at work to complete. Arrggghhhhh <*< <*< >>:-( >>:-(
'

Just for anyone who hasn't a clue what wer'e talking about
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJUhlRoBL8M

and another
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-diB65scQU
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2013, 07:08:45 am »

I have a disability problem too, my legs never go where my brain( whats left of it)says they should, so it is a constant battle, so far the legs are winning. Keep it going Eddie this place would not be nearly as mad if you were missing, Mick B.
Mick B.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2013, 08:23:21 am »

I have the same problem sometimes, and it is related to an allergy.

I believe I may be allergic to alcohol  :embarrassed:
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2013, 10:00:46 am »

I have the same problem sometimes, and it is related to an allergy.
I believe I may be allergic to alcohol  :embarrassed:

I also found that I had an allergy to drinking alcohol at a young impressionable age, when I discovered that I suffered from a hangover after drinking...........I put this allergy to drinking out of damp glasses,

and vowed that I wouldn't drink anymore!!!

I also vowed never to drink ANY LESS!!! {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2013, 11:24:35 am »

Guys....I do remember & respect a few wise words form one "bogstandard" ....AKA John Moore  :-))  ....

1. never drink prior to attending to the wood working shop
2. never drink prior to attending to the metal working shop

Thanks bogs.........Derek O0
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

graham

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2013, 12:32:49 am »

I really enjoyed joining the my local club on Sunday, and despite the barge having a steering problem which Stan has been so helpful I thought, 'okay, just a one off, had a problem, get it fixed and move on'...went to the lake today with my trawler, the guys were having a yacht race so I just kept out of the way...of course it all went wrong. I parked on the top car-park as it is closer to the pond, I had to come down the steps and fell at the bottom, boat smashed onto path, thought it was just bits and bobs that fell off and all seemed well. Nope, she sailed okay and then started to sink, electrics failed-luckily she wasn't too far out and she drifted to the shore with her stern under water. Got her out and she was just swimming in water. I have managed to get the rigging off and the deck, which broke, stripped out the electrics which I had to cut some wiring and found the whole rudder assembly has gone. Damn my disability, my leg went. I am hurting like mad and sick to death of boats at the moment. So, I have no boats at all to enjoy on the water, such is life. If I am struggling now then I may have to give up this hobby before I even get started.

Si <:(

dust yourself down and have a chill pile then return

mook

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2013, 06:43:21 pm »

It must have been very upsetting to see your boat sinking, good job it was not too far out <:(
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 22 queries.