Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bait boat Brushless motor?  (Read 3858 times)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Bait boat Brushless motor?
« on: April 19, 2013, 05:55:27 pm »

Via email to Mayhem...

Hi Martin,

I must admit I’m not a model boat enthusiast, or at least I say I’m not. I am a 53 year-old pike fisherman here in Ireland. About 2 years ago I bought a second hand “bait boat”. It’s driven by a DC brushed motor. Being an electronically educated maintenance coordinator, I know a little about electrics and know that the brushes are going to wear out someday soon! The motor is also sealed so the brushes are not renewable. I am therefore thinking of “upgrading” to a servo motor but am not sure of what I need apart from a servo motor and a controller??? It’s controlled by a Saturn 2.4Ghz handset.

The motor is app 66mm long X 44mm diameter with a 5mm shaft which is currently app 60mm long. The rpm is around 6000rpm. I reckon I could modify the hull to accept a similar sized motor with a 20mm long shaft.

Could you advise me as to what I should buy in the way of servo motor, a suitable controller and where?

Thanks in advance for your time.
  Brian

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Bait boat Brushless motor?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2013, 09:54:37 pm »

In the model world, a servo motor is about the size of the top joint of your thumb.  In the industrial world, they get bigger.  Yours might be one of these - http://www.graupner.de/en/products/5c5b118e-afc6-4ee2-b03a-c3f2e91947c1/6306/product.aspx - or a close relative.  To keep life simple, a drop-in replacement is preferable.  Getting more power out usually means more power in, and that impacts on run time. 
Once you know the voltage and current requirements, figuring what ESC is required is a question of getting the numbers right.  On the other hand, what is doing the controlling at the moment?
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 21 queries.