Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anchors on tugs  (Read 3322 times)

NFMike

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plague Marine Services
Anchors on tugs
« on: July 23, 2013, 05:13:27 pm »

I've been 'improving' my Wyeforce/Southampton and it struck me that there is no anchor (and no winch on the fo'c'sle in fact). Which got me wondering if the prototype has an anchor.
I've had a trawl and found just one picture of the prototype that shows what may be an anchor on the port side. Another picture from the same sort of distance shows more clearly what looks like an oblong recess there, but not the contents. As far as I can tell the Model Slipway version does not have this 'thing' either.
This is the best picture I've seen (found via Google of course):
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=4847789

From the location and lack of a winch I'd guess that if that is an anchor it may be a manually despatched emergency thing.

Anyone got any better info?

catengineman

Re: Anchors on tugs
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013, 09:40:46 am »

I believe your right in the idea of a "chuck it and hope" single manual anchor with no winch to recover.

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 02:59:18 pm »

Try having a squint at this site.  http://www.rktman.com/rlh/wyeforce/gallery/realwyeforce/realwyeforce.html

It reminds me that the wartime TID tugs didn't have a "hung" anchor but used a davit to handle the mud hook from the deck. TIDs used a hand winch to pull it in.
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

NFMike

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plague Marine Services
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 12:15:25 am »

Try having a squint at this site.  http://www.rktman.com/rlh/wyeforce/gallery/realwyeforce/realwyeforce.html
Yeah, been there already. That's actually one of the sites that makes me think the MS kit doesn't feature this feature. Could be a later addition of course.

Been searching a bit more today and having tried a different search engine found this little bit on an RC groups thread from 2005 about the Graupner Southampton (looks like the same model to me): "The original tug on which she's based is Wyeforce, and has an anchor on her starboard bow in place of a tyre fender. I used a Billings anchor and some plastic strip to recreate this ..."

Annoyingly the guy that posted that hasn't been there since 2008, so I can't ask him for any more info. His profile says he's a music teacher but is the son of a tug skipper, so maybe he had some inside information. Adding the recess and anchor would be fairly simple, but I've no idea what is on the inside of the bulwark, if anything. There must be a chain locker and some stuff to control the chain/rope somewhere. Very frustrating!

meechingman

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tugs Rule, OK!
    • Andrew Gilbert
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2013, 09:38:10 pm »

Hey, don't get annoyed with me - please! I'm 1000% sure I've posted here since 2008! Maybe not on the RC Groups site though!

I only concerned myself with the outwards appearance of the anchor on my Graupner Southampton, so I couldn't tell you where the chain goes on the inner side of the bulwarks, sorry. No insider information. Though Dad was a tug skipper for the last 17 years of his career, his (and my, for that matter) detailed knowledge of tugs was based on his charge for those years, the Newhaven tug Meeching, plus the various relief tugs supplied by J P Knight - Kent and Kite most of the time.

As I said, I used an off the shelf Billings anchor with some fine jewellery chain that ran just behind the stock of the anchor - both sprayed black, of course. Wyeforce doesn't have the traditional anchor recess below main deck level, just what looks like a small recess above. I recreated this with just two small strips of plastic.

Not perfect or truly accurate, but much better than having no anchor at all! Although my Southampton is a smaller scale than the proper Wyeforce kit, I'm sure what I did would scale up OK.

Couple of photos attached. Hope they may give you some ideas. I'm sure you can improve on what I did. I know a lot more about modelling now than when I did this!  :-)

Andy G aka Meechingman

Admiral of the Haven Towage Fleet.

NFMike

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plague Marine Services
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2013, 11:56:26 pm »

LOL. Delighted to find you are actually here, if not there. Not annoyed with you at all - just at the fact that people come and go from forums and I thought you'd gone away. Very pleased you recognised your post from 5 years ago.

Thanks for the pics - that's an interesting little cheat to save cutting a chunk out of the bulwark. As I'm redecorating mine (it's the smaller one like yours (1/36?), not the 1/24 MS job) I can easily explain away variations in fittings and I have an idea for a plausible but simple thing for the inside. I think I may even have a suitable spare anchor as well.

I did find another picture on Fotki, UK Shipspotting 2012 which shows the recess more clearly, but again only from the outside.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 22 queries.