Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anchor Chain  (Read 2329 times)

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
Anchor Chain
« on: May 27, 2007, 07:14:34 pm »

Can anyone give guidance as to the rules for anchor chains. I understand that there is an Lloyds Register formula based on length/beam and displacement but I'm lost in about 35,000 Google entries.

The specific case is 128ft/24ft and 450 tons. It's been suggested that 5mm chain would be right at 1:36 scale but this would relate to 7" wide and this seems a bit heavy handed.

Any ideas please.

Tony H

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Anchor Chain
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2007, 08:30:56 pm »

I'm sending you a PM
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2007, 10:58:23 am »

Just to say 'Thank You' to Bunkerbarge for the Lloyds rules regarding anchors/chains.

Also to ask whether it would be worth having a new subject heading for the rules, definitions and formulae that often appear in questions, such as how to scale things, scale speeds, hull displacement etc.
I don't mean the questions such as what glue/motor etc., just the type of information that's equivalent to the stuff that used to be on the back of every exercise book.

For example, I have never known where the 'pp' measurements are taken from on ships. I've assumed that it's at the waterline BUT I could be very wrong in which case the starting point on every hull is wrong.

Almost a simplified scale 'handbook' for the Forum which could be continuously updated and edited by the members.
A lot is already scattered throughout the posts already, but as the forum grows, it becomes more and more difficult to spot.
Absolute accuracy would not be needed, just 'good enough' approximations that would be easy to use.

Any ideas?

Tony H

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2007, 11:31:07 am »

You are welcome Tony, maybe we could start a new subject for such stuff and ask Martin to put the definitions thread into it:

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=3443.0
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 21 queries.