Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: vic smeeds duckling  (Read 3722 times)

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
vic smeeds duckling
« on: April 21, 2013, 08:01:30 am »

through a recent ebay purchase ive aquired an almost complete yacht for restoration  , the hull / deck are moulded in a plastic type material possibly abs ? the keel bulb looks as if it will hinder the underwater passage as its shaped more like a brick than a torpedo , what id like is some photos of how the boat was rigged please / jon

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: vic smeeds duckling
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 09:45:50 am »

This is the only image I can find of the Duckling, from the Myhobbystore website. They have plans but at 17.50 they are expensive.

It looks like a loop below decks, although it could be done with a double sided sail arm.
Sorry, I know this is not much help.

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 04:22:14 pm »

i had found the my hobbystore plans listing , i assume its the very smae hull , albeit mine is made from an injection moulding ?  at present both servos have been mounted through the main hatch , the drum winch runs for approximatly two full turns , although it appears to have been altered , its marked century systems " made in england " on the bottom of its case , it also originally should have had an extra power source as the extra blue / brown cables have been patched onto the original servo lead ? jon

hmsantrim

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2013, 05:33:06 pm »

Hi Jon.

map plans now MHS used to supplied some styrene hulls your purchase being one of them.  The duckling and gosling were built on the same hull.  Any 36r yacht plan would give you what you need. may still have one in the files.

Frank

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2013, 09:19:44 pm »

frank , that would be a great help if you have , not sure if the two servos would be better mounted inside the hull as opposed to through the main hatch ?

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 07:40:32 am »

thank you ian for the copies of the original plan and build article from rcm&e  , ive started to rebiuld / update the hull a little last night , the shape of the keel bulb is currently flat sided , ive removed it from the fin with the intention of casting another in a more dynamic shape . im a little unsure weather i will be able to move the bulb aft slightly so it starts from flush with the fin ? i often sail in a stretch of water that has quite large patches of seaweed in , ive found that keels with a forward protruding bulb often get stuck , where as those without the forward section dont suffer the same problem ! jon

hmsantrim

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2013, 03:08:53 pm »

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2013, 03:27:35 pm »

well spotted frank , ian has kindly sent me some copies which im going to use for reference , ive started removing the original paint at the weekend , with a bit of luck i should be able to respray it later this week , aiming for a pale yellow to match the existing sails

hmsantrim

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2013, 10:46:05 pm »

Hi Jon.
 RE:aiming for a pale yellow to match the existing sails.   Wot no red sails in the sunset then ........ {-)
       Frank

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2013, 03:04:34 am »

.. aiming for a pale yellow to match the existing sails

I wonder if this color is due to ageing, and the original color was white.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2013, 07:40:08 am »

nope the sails were definatly pale yellow from new , even the stiching is yellow ! my own racing micro magics have non white sails , it makes them much easier to pick out amongst the fleet of yachts during a race meeting ! might have this duckling painted in a similar tint to the one vauxhall used on the mk3 astra , i was tempted to airbrush in an orange bow , keel and fin  , to represent its bill , legs and feet ? when i bought the boat it had a sticker on the stern " ugly " just not sure if by painting it with the orange it will appeall to others ?

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2013, 06:49:43 pm »

well a quick look through the spare paints cupboard revealed a whole unused aerosol of peugeot blaze yelllow , so the whole hull / deck have now gone to this , which is a nice bronzed metallic . im now looking at changing the sails to a dark red suit instead . then its just the keel bulb to recast and reassembly . jon
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 22 queries.